Modifying a PT Matrix 2

johnarthur39

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions for modifying a PT Matrix 2? I like the all in one unit and the fact that it is submersible. I just wish that it put out more light. I did a search on this fight but didn't seem to find much info.

Thanks,

John

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is cetainly possible but some lights are just better to be given away and replaced with something more modern.

Get an EOS and mod that.

OceanView

Enlightened
I can't remember anyone modding the Matrix 2. Still, I have a tender spot for my Matrix 2's.

Until the Zebralight came out, the Matrix 2 was the only headlamp that fit my personal criteria for going into my earthquake kit--LED, water-resistant, uses as few AA as possible, no separate battery unit.

I have two of them. They're rather dim and greenish by flashaholic standards, although in truly dark conditions, they do fine. And whenever I actually have to do something with my hands, I always grab a Matrix 2 to light the way.

I had seriously given some thought to buying one of those PR-2 EverLED units that Arcmania had modded with an SSC P4 a while back to turbocharge my Matrix 2's, but at $50-55 IIRC, that was a bit rich for my blood at the time. I sort of regret not buying one, though.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had seriously given some thought to buying one of those PR-2 EverLED units that Arcmania had modded with an SSC P4 a while back to turbocharge my Matrix 2's, but at $50-55 IIRC, that was a bit rich for my blood at the time. I sort of regret not buying one, though.

See, and that is the problem. It uses a PR bulb dropin. Since there is no heatsinking they aren't driven very hard which gives long runtime but low brightness even compared to other Luxeon units, and they are so tiny its hard to mod.

PR Dropins may be available but would cost as much or more than the much more easily moddable EOS.