Gelcell spotlight AA mod

santza

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I got a gelcell spotlight for free. The battery is really bad, only gives 10 minutes of good output. I thought that is it possible to build a 20xAA setup for this 55W h3 bulb? I have two 10AA holders that give me 12volts with nimhs, can i put these two in parallel? or should i put three?

this is not going to be a light with lots of usage, mainly just a test, and ultra high output light when needed.. Maybe some day to put a 35W hid in it, that would be more useful.

Does this sound clever at all or should I abandon the project? I have lots of spare LSD NiMh AA:s so that wouldnt least be a problem.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure. If you already have lots of AA NiMHs and don't mind charging them all, it should be fine. Given the specs of the bulb, it should last about 45m-1h with the two 10AA packs in parallel.

santza

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for responding! I will try it during the easter holidays. Might even later add a third holder. I'm planning to attach two IP44 waterproof junction boxes and put holders inside them, that would be waterproof enough. I will add pics later.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could install 7 P60 dropins in the spotlight and get more lumens and longer runtime any power source.