Which lights should i bring ??

Saiga

Enlightened
Though i've been living stateside for a couple years, i've been fortunate to still get summoned back down to the western Caribbean a couple times a year to help crew on a yacht i used to work on. I'm leaving weekend after next, and should be gone a month+, and am trying to travel fairly light. So, what lights ( of the ones i actually possess ) should i bring along ?
These are my choices.....
Fenix T1
Fenix P1Ce
Fenix L2 something-or-other
Streamlight Pro-polymer 3C and 4AA
Surefire G2
Surefire L1
Surefire E1L ( the new one 2 stage, arrrivng this week from opticsHQ)
Gerber infinity ultra ( both standard and M models, red and white LED's)
Inova T1, X1 ( gen. 2 and 3 )
LumaPower LM31
I'm planning on 3 lights total, and a few extra batteries. I'm leaning towards the LM31 cause it's lately my favorite EDC, one of the Gerbers 'cause they're tiny, inexpensive and efficient,and the Surefire E1L, just cause it'll be my newest toy, and it's ALMOST the same as the L1.
What says the matrix ?

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Well, you are going to bring your new Surefire because you can't help yourself. So for your other two lights, bring along ones that use AA batteries. I suggest this because you will be in remote locations without easy access to odd lithium batteries if the need arises. Someone ALWAYS has a couple extra AA batteries laying around.

txmatt

Enlightened
Spend $5 and order a Fenix diffuser for your L2D-CE so you get the dual functionality of a flashlight and lantern if needed. It'll also be a hit with the ladies (you'll know why when you see it).

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would bring all those Surefire lights! and probably invest in a head lamp considering you are working on a ship...

Saiga

Enlightened
Yep, agree with the AA recommendation, i know they have a big stash of those around, both the Infinity ultra and the Lumapower use AA's. I also ordered the red lens cover for the Surefire, essentially adding another light. Not sure i wanna drag a headlamp along, besides the surefires' clip makes it brim-mountable. I was going to bring a sealed 2-pack of Duracell 123's, that shouldn't attract any TSA attention.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Though i've been living stateside for a couple years, i've been fortunate to still get summoned back down to the western Caribbean a couple times a year to help crew on a yacht i used to work on.

Three things:

Okay, first of all, you need to help me get a job like that (no, I'm not kidding).

Second, I would suggest 3 lights. One thrower, one flooder, and a Fenix with the built in SOS.

Third, see the first thing again!!

:)

meuge

Enlightened
Well, different lights are for different purposes.

I'd take the Fenix T1 for high-intensity light, the Fenix L2 for general lighting (60 hours on low, anyone?) and Gerber Infinity Ultra as a long-term unregulated backup.

Take 3 4-packs of lithium AAs, and a 12-pack of CR123 primaries.

Saiga

Enlightened
HHmmm, i hadn't really thought about the Fenix L2-whatever-it-is, but that's a good point. And, it's made the trip once before. The Fenix T1 is just too big and heavy, it's unlikely i'm gonna want to toss it in a shorts pocket when running around.But it DOES impress the un-initiated !!
But, no way i'm hauling 20-30 batteries along !!:eek: If the SHTF, el capitan has told me he always has enough fuel on-board to make Key West straght through.
Uh, ok, maybe a couple more 123's.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L1
Surefire E1L ( the new one 2 stage, arrrivng this week from opticsHQ)
Gerber infinity ultra ( both standard and M models, red and white LED's)
LumaPower LM31

the fenix cos its an AA
gerber infinity ultra, cos, well that shoudl be obvious
If you must bring along the Lumapower then dont bring the surefires i guess. Or just bring an ARC-AAA on neck lanyard and be done with it. Youll probably end up bringing more lights anyway...:)

Crenshaw

Zenster

Enlightened
I'm totally with Crenshaw on his first three choices:

Surefire L1
The L1 can serve as a decent "thrower", so it would be one choice for that reason.

Surefire E1L
I would bring the E1L/Dual for it's long runtime, especially on low. Additionally, I'd fit it with an L04 diffuser, and it would be my most used light in your situation for just getting around at night in general.
I wouldn't be surprised if, by the time you got back, that you suddenly realised that the E1L was the ONLY light you used the entire trip.

I'll assume you've got the L2D-CE. It's a "must have" not just because it's a nice floody with decent throw (on high), but because you get a strobe function and SOS as well.
Those signaling modes might come in handy out there on the ocean... in the middle of nowhere... with the sharks closing in... daa dump... daa dump.
However, the MAIN reason to bring the Fenix is because it uses AA batteries. You WILL be able to find AA's anywhere in the world, so consider the Fenix as being mainly a backup if you run out of CR123's.

All three of the above lights run for, like, forever, on their low settings, so it's not likely that you'd get caught without light unless you squander your batteries using high settings more often than you really need.

My .02 lumens...

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Sounds like fun! What a great opportunity.

I wouldn't overlook the value of a good incan; they render colors better and tend to help you see better in foggy conditions. Personally I'd consider taking:

1. Surefire G2
2. Fenix L2DCE
3. Surefire E1L

- The G2 is the fog-busting and color-rendering ican that we all know and love.

- A multi-level light like the P2D-CE gives you a lot of versatility, and offers you both the "bright light" and "extended runtime" options. Your basic EDC on the ship. Also runs on standard AA batteries; you should always have one light that can be fed anywhere in the world. ;-)

- The SF E1L is tough as nails, and provides a great "low" level that's perfect for reading at night or making your way around the ship without disturbing others.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

Last edited:

Saiga

Enlightened
Thanks guys.....No, my L2-something-other is actually an older Luxeon model, L2T, maybe ? It was my first "real" light. I had just joined the forum, and was immediately told "NO,don't get THAT Fenix !! " , but it was already in the mail. Still, a decent enough light, but because of the goofy size and shape, not one of my favorites. I have it loaded with AA lithiums and leave it in my car console.
So, i'm definately bringing an Infinity Ultra, and for sure either the L1 or the E1L, after that, not sure yet. I've decided i'm only bringing 3 lights, any more and i'll feel like a real geek. Don't ask me why i think two ain't enough and three's too many.:D "cause i don't know myself....
Anyway, tomorrow may bring my new E1l !!!!! Move yer ***,Fed-Ex !!!!!

bigfoot

Enlightened
Surefire E1L (2-stage), Inova X1 (ver.2), Gerber Infinity Ultra M (red).

And spare batteries. :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
after watching Tom Hanks and his wonderful performance in Cast Away, i find my self thinking that fedex is actually kinda slow...took them a whole week to deliever my arcs on "1-3 day express". Sigh, paid extra 15$ for fedex too.But i digress....

actually on second thought, you might want to consider other stuff, i mean what if you lost your surefires on the trip? ehhh, but then again, whats the point of having them if you dont use them for real stuff? argh...nvm...:ohgeez:

Crenshaw