River Rock 2AAA 0.5W LED @ Target - Good or Bad?

LightGrunt0311

Newly Enlightened
Is the RR 2AAA 0.5W LED any good? They're going for $10 @ my local Target and there are a bunch of 'em.

It advertises to run at approx. 7+ hours and provides maxium battery & brightness with the circuit.

Would you recommend one?

Thx.

lightinsky

Enlightened
It's an allright light for 10 bucks. It has a blueish tint in the beam. I used to have one and returned it. Not bad run time and construction/build is good. You can go to DX and get a much brighter and better light for that money. Just MHO

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great little light. Especially to give out for gifts or loaners. Has one huge advantage over any cheap mailorder light, almost instant return if it malfunctions which is a big bonus in any cheaper light. I would personally for myself buy a Streamlight Stylus Pro, or an Inova AAA Bolt, for AaA lights, but this one I have given more as gifts than any other small light.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
The older ones have extremely bluish tints, whereas the new ones seem to have snow white tints, at least on mine. Maybe this is purely lottery, but one I bought for my cousin a few years ago was WAY too blue, and one I got a few months ago is practically perfect "neutral white".. YMMV.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Mine is bright and blue, got it about 2 weeks ago. I use it as a pocket light when I have to wear a suit or look dressed up at work. It's discreet enough. The 'white wall' test doesn't really do it justice. Take it outside on a dark night and it helps light the way, and batteries are cheap and readily available.

I also found that the pocket clip can be removed and put on the other side of the light. It allows it to be carried head-down and the clip helps keep the tailcap stationary.

For $10 for 'going out' type of light, I like it.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
It was a pretty good light 1.5-2+ years ago. Now? You can do better for about $10 ... A LOT better for around $15.

It and its older emitter is an underperformer by today's standards. I had a chrome one ... gave it to a lady friend who loved it. Bought another chrome one for $7.50 on sale but it didn't work. I contacted River Rock ... them sent me a black one as a replacement ... but that one is blue and dim.

As they are out of the blister pack, I'd say skip it. As a host for a new emitter? I'd like to hear others chime in ... as I have the dud I might like to mod.

Latest posts