More fun than White Wall Hunting

mwaldron

Enlightened
So this morning when I woke up I grabbed my A2 as usual to take my dog out. When I opened the door I thought someone had put a gray sheet over my house. Turns out we were under a "dense fog advisory."

Can you say Beamshape comparisons!

If any neighbors were awake and there was any doubt before they now undoubtedly think I'm insane. I came back outside with my 2 different led Maglites, a couple A2's, L2, p2d, and an Eternalight.

I'm also wondering what any passing airplanes might have thought...

In any event, my point of this post is if you get the opportunity to do this, take it. We all know that light A is more floody, or B is more throwy, but to actually see the beam shapes in realtime with side-by-side comparisons is a lot of fun (and somewhat educational if you have youngling around). It's also valuable for understanding how color temps deal with semi-solid air. The incandescent A2's would have been much more useful if I actually had to use a light in that particular environment. The LED spill from the A2 was even noticeable with the main beam on. I had a few auras around the head of my A2's. I'm pretty sure they're not of divine origin though.

I don't really do much white wall hunting, I tend to use my lights for day to day tasks but this was nifty to actually demonstrate why a particular light would be good for a particular task.

I need to get my camera charged up in case this happens again, might make for some interesting pictures.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
So this morning when I woke up I grabbed my A2 as usual to take my dog out. When I opened the door I thought someone had put a gray sheet over my house. Turns out we were under a "dense fog advisory."

Can you say Beamshape comparisons!

If any neighbors were awake and there was any doubt before they now undoubtedly think I'm insane. I came back outside with my 2 different led Maglites, a couple A2's, L2, p2d, and an Eternalight.

I'm also wondering what any passing airplanes might have thought...

In any event, my point of this post is if you get the opportunity to do this, take it. We all know that light A is more floody, or B is more throwy, but to actually see the beam shapes in realtime with side-by-side comparisons is a lot of fun (and somewhat educational if you have youngling around). It's also valuable for understanding how color temps deal with semi-solid air. The incandescent A2's would have been much more useful if I actually had to use a light in that particular environment. The LED spill from the A2 was even noticeable with the main beam on. I had a few auras around the head of my A2's. I'm pretty sure they're not of divine origin though.

I don't really do much white wall hunting, I tend to use my lights for day to day tasks but this was nifty to actually demonstrate why a particular light would be good for a particular task.

I need to get my camera charged up in case this happens again, might make for some interesting pictures.

I was out geocaching a few nights ago and could not see over 10 feet, even street lights entirely disapeared by 15 feet.

I of course did have to try out all my lights. The L0D on High (10440) just made this gigantic cone of light.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Lasers in the fog are even more fun!! And I'm not talking about the hardcore lasers the guys in the forum here are using, I just have a 10 dollar AAA pen style for playing with the cat!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
We shall now call it, "Fog hunting" ;)

Lasers do look cooler then Flashlights, but flashlights have a wider beam that makes them easier at playing light sabers.

Tachikoma

Enlightened
I'm always happy when there is fog around: besides the flashlights I especially like to play with my lasers to see the beam clearly:twothumbs

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
its just sad we dont have fog here....smoke machine anyone? it almost seems worth it to buy one to do this..:crazy:

Crenshaw

Tachikoma

Enlightened
its just sad we dont have fog here....smoke machine anyone? it almost seems worth it to buy one to do this..:crazy:

Crenshaw

Would you believe me if I said that just this morning I've decided (after years I've been thinking about) to buy one?
I think I'll get a cheap disco 400w fog machine for about €40, but luckily for you in the USA it can be found on eBay for about $20 :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Crenshaw

I don't remember a single fog when I lived in Singapore. Snow, Fog, and a family car were new things when I moved to the US.

Do you have access to a Fog Machine or some steam generator?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tachikoma, im in SG...but 20$ smoke machines? hmmmmm! ill be checking ebay later, that might come in handy for house parties too..not that my house is big enough...but i can bring it to a friends! congratulations on the smoke machine, maybe ill get one to do a review with...:devil:

Gunner12, snow would still be a new thing for me, never seen falling snow. seen it on the ground, dad also threw a snow ball at me once, but never seen it falling.When did you live in singapore? as for access,i have a kettle...:whistle:

Crenshaw

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I moved to Singapore in 1995-1996, can't remember the exact date. Then I moved to the US in 2002.

You'll need a pretty big kettle. Humm, Singapore doesn't have many easily accessible dark places the last time I was there(6 years ago). If there is enough dust and it is dark enough, then the beam should be visible.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh check out the Flashaholic meet up in Singapore thread in the tradeshows and meet ups forum...youll get an idea of where we went. And there is no shortage of dust here, can tell you that. We were able to see beams, but just, not as clearly defined as would have been fun in a smoke machine/fog atmosphere.

wow, funny thing is, i think the time you were in SG, i had moved to Australia, i came back in 2000.

Crenshaw

RGB_LED

Enlightened
aww no beamshots??
:candle: I was just thinking the same thing!

Er, is it more difficult to get beam shots through fog? I remember shooting images of the skyline from my balcony during one very foggy night last year - shots turned out great. Wondering if beamshots would capture well during the same conditions... :thinking:

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
i don't see how it can be too difficult.
if you have a camera which you can control shutter speed, exposure, and aperture. just set it on a tripod, meter the exposure to the light of the beam. and hit a timed delayed shot. so no jittering movements from your hand will affect the picture.
sadly i don't have a camera capable of this anymore, nor do i have fog

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't see how it can be too difficult.
if you have a camera which you can control shutter speed, exposure, and aperture. just set it on a tripod, meter the exposure to the light of the beam. and hit a timed delayed shot. so no jittering movements from your hand will affect the picture.
sadly i don't have a camera capable of this anymore, nor do i have fog

the problem is other light sources in the back ground, etc will also look brighter. You might end up with a shot that looks like day time. That wont be much fun. So unless you can find a completely, COMPLETLY dark area...its very hard...

Crenshaw

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
ahh i see.
i usually don't have that problem when i see fog:D
everything is black for me, or atleast my backyard is

mwaldron

Enlightened
aww no beamshots??

I charged my camera but it hasn't been foggy again :(

This smoke machine idea has possibilities. I also noticed the exhaust from my dryer on the side of the house makes for a small scale version when it's a bit chilly outside.