First Post New Guy with Question

KJB32

Newly Enlightened
I just discovered this forum yesterday, and it has made me want to modify a 3D Maglite I have. I don't need anything crazy (yet), just something to play around with. Is this TerraLux upgrade a good start?

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

Not trying to spend a bunch of money, just want something to tinker with.
Any better options out there with a similar price tag?

Thanks,
Kevin

Raymond

Enlightened
There are different options at different pricepoints. The terralux is a good upgrade at it's pricepoint and should give an improvement in both total output and runtime.
I'm planning to buy one myself :)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The treealux is a good drop in globe replacement. It might just be enough for you to get a taste of what is possible. Many people take the guts out of their maglites and replace them with nice big aluminum heatsinks with emitters mounted on them. They are able to achieve amazing light levels.
I believe that Malkoff (look at the drop in sticky in the led forum) has a drop in for maglites which ROCKS. Yes it costs MORE but in the end you get SO MUCH MORE there is no comparison.

Oh and welcome to the CPF!!
Yaesumofo

AvidHiker

Enlightened
:welcome:

Like yeasumofo said, good heat sinking seems to be the major limiting factor for LED drop-ins in maglites. In case you're not aware, current high power LEDs produce a significant amount of heat and can be severly damaged if that heat is not properly managed. Fitting a substantial heat sink into a mag head is difficult if you want to maintain focusability and the best solution I've seen for this issue is Gene Malkoff's design.

There are surprisingly few other options for mags right now (apart from going the DIY/custom route), the only other one I am aware of would be Elektrolumens multi-emitter designs, and, once again, these are limited production and typically on the expensive side.

From what I've read, I think you've made a good choice going with terralux over maglite's LED offering. But just remember, for either of these, the emitter is not going to be pumping out the brightest possible beam due to heat concerns. If you really want to see what an LED can do you'll have to look into lights designed for LEDs.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The main thing for that drop-in is heatsinking, but for the price, it's a good drop-in.

For $30, you might also be able to make a mod with more output.

Maybe also a smaller EDC light next?

DX is a good source for current gen LED(Cree/Seoul/Rebel) lower priced lights, just look at the ones getting good reviews. Shipping usually takes 2 weeks or more.

:welcome: