AA body compatible with P60 drop-in?

chalo

Newly Enlightened
I have combed through the archives looking for an answer to my question, but so far no luck.

I would like to find a cost-effective 1xAA or 2xAA host body for a P60-style drop-in module. All the P60 hosts I have found to date are designed for 18mm lithium batteries.

I want to build a handful of lights that can function as both pocket lights and bike lights. AA cells are a must because that is what my other lights and portable devices use. A body tube 22-26mm in diameter makes a light easier for me to mount compared to a skinnier light like a Fenix L1D, Ultrafire C3, etc. I want to use P60 drop-ins for the variety, versatility, performance, and low cost they offer.

I would like to avoid having to change the diameter of the drop-in module if at all possible.

The host need not be a fancy piece of equipment as long as it is tough and functional. In fact, the cheaper and crummier-looking the light is, the less likely it is to get swiped off the bike if I forget to pocket it. I'm hesitant to use a plastic body with iffy heat rejection, but I'd consider one anyway if it looked right in other regards.

So does anybody know of an inexpensive P60/AA host body? Or failing that, does anybody know of an inexpensive P60/1x18500 body I could sleeve down to 1xAA?

I am grateful for any help in this matter!

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:bumpit: I'm also curious.

BTW, I suspect this thread would fare better in the LED flashlights section.

Norm

Retired Administrator
So does anybody know of an inexpensive P60/AA host body? Or failing that, does anybody know of an inexpensive P60/1x18500 body I could sleeve down to 1xAA?

I am grateful for any help in this matter!

The Volts from 1 AA won't be higher enough to run a drop in, you would need at least 3 X AA to run the drop in.

chalo

Newly Enlightened
The Volts from 1 AA won't be higher enough to run a drop in, you would need at least 3 X AA to run the drop in.

I've already built drop-ins of this size that use 1.2V to drive a Cree at about 500mA, or 2.4V to drive it at about 700mA. Using parts from DealExtreme.com, it only takes about $12 worth of subcomponents to make such a unit.

I'd be satisfied to use 2xAA, but above that number of cells, the form factor becomes inappropriate for a bike/pocket light (and cell reversal becomes a nuisance).

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Five-mega 18500 body with a SF bezel and tailcap. May need to wrap the batt a little to keep it from rattling.

I also haven't seen anything that is 14mm diameter.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Check Light Hound for inexpensive SolarForce 18650 (2XCR123) bodies. Extensions available too, or were available. I sleeve my 6P with A19, using cardboard to run my Malkoff M30 with two NiMh AA's, and you could do that with the SolarForce bodies if you wanted to run 2XAA.

Bill

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why I am replying to a 10 month old thread, but then, ask the 3 above me :)

Just for anyone elses info, DX sku 14902 is an AA sized P60 host, though it is designed for 14500. But, if one was so inclined they could build a 1.2V boost circuit for a p60.

Mag

Newly Enlightened
Look in Custom B/S/T, or search under posts by NITE

He is selling 1, 2, 3 AA FM (FiveMega) hosts for P60 dropins

I signed up for 1 x AA & only one so far for 2 x AA.

Neale

Thanks for the hint. I just got one of these and I love it. What drop-in did you put for the 1xAA?
Magdalovecpf

smfranke

Newly Enlightened
I've got a couple of Solarforce L2s. I bought 2 extension tubes for each one and I can run them on 3xAA rechargables. If I remember correctly, I don't screw the end cap all the way on b/c the spring seems to be a little smushed. I keep them in my 'end of the world' bags. I like this setup b/c it allows a lot of flexibility in battery configurations.

I bought these a while ago before SolarForce started offering the 2xAA version.

I haven't gotten around to making any sleeves for the batteries yet.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I've got a couple of Solarforce L2s. I bought 2 extension tubes for each one and I can run them on 3xAA rechargables. If I remember correctly, I don't screw the end cap all the way on b/c the spring seems to be a little smushed. I keep them in my 'end of the world' bags. I like this setup b/c it allows a lot of flexibility in battery configurations.

I bought these a while ago before SolarForce started offering the 2xAA version.

I haven't gotten around to making any sleeves for the batteries yet.

I've run three AA's with a P60 + one A19, and one A14. Perfect fit with 17500 size A14.

Bill