Budget Brands - Reliability and Performance

Centropolis

Enlightened
I am just getting into the flashlight community very recently. Before this site, I've only known brands like Surefire and Inova that makes tactical flashlights. After reading many posts in this forum, I've found out that there are many other brands that are out there that makes tactical LED flashlights.

I want to ask, out of all the relatively cheaper brands....and by that I mean, cheaper than Fenix...like Ultrafire, Romisen and DX etc....which are the brands that a lot of people have experience with and are proven to be very reliable and have comparable performance compared to a Fenix or Surefire?

Also, if I was looking for a LED flashlight that is run off 1AA or 2AAs, and has good enough throw AND relatively more spill than say a L1 or a G2L.....what ones should I take a look at? If they are running AAs, I don't care too much about runtime as much as output since they're cheap. Think walking around the campsites and hiking in trails at night.

I guess I am looking for a decent light for about $30 to $40 that performs kind of ALMOST like a $100 light?

Last edited:

Evan III

Newly Enlightened
I really like the romisen lights, they are really well made and seem to be very reliable, can't really comment on the others. I have heard they are pretty hit or miss. Personally My Romisen RC-F4 (runs on 123's) is brighter then my 50-60 dollar Olight T-20 (160 lumen model). and they only run about 15 bucks. Ask and read around you'll find alot of people really like this light. I have a single AA romisen (cant remember which model off hand) also that is very bright for a single AA light.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
I really like the romisen lights, they are really well made and seem to be very reliable, can't really comment on the others. I have heard they are pretty hit or miss. Personally My Romisen RC-F4 (runs on 123's) is brighter then my 50-60 dollar Olight T-20 (160 lumen model). and they only run about 15 bucks. Ask and read around you'll find alot of people really like this light. I have a single AA romisen (cant remember which model off hand) also that is very bright for a single AA light.

I'm with Evan on this one. The 2 Romisen lights that have been mentioned, the RC-F2 and the single AA RC-G2, are great lights and you won't be too upset if you lose either one at a campsite because both of the mentioned lights are less than 15 dollars each when shipped from Hong Kong.
There are some lights that are not worth mentioning because I've personally have had driver boards that just die and clicky switchs just melt on 4 models of the same light while testing. Although the bodies and the LED's are in perfect condition. This would take some modding to repair them and at that point, the time and money would just put you at the price of a decent fenix light.
Now for the single AA light that you mention, the previously mentioned Romisen RC-G2 falls a little short of the Surefires when in stock form. There is a thread, a long one about modding the RC-G2 to rival a G2L in output.
If you're looking for a unmodded top performing light that meets your price requirements, I would recommend the Ultrafire WF-606A. Its a 2 AA unit that can also run on a single CR2 cell for a pocket thrower. Its at least as bright as the above mentioned RC-F2 light, but you can adjust the beam a little from spot to semi flood. There is a review in the reviews section for this light and many recommendations for it in this forum. Just do a search for the WF-606A. The tint is a little on the cool white side in both my samples. I've modded mine to have a low and high dual-stage switch so I can use it for reading and not blind myself when I'm in pitch darkness. Here it is sku.4238 WF-606A around 20 dollars shipped.
Sorry it got so long. I just got carried away.:shrug: Hope this helps!

generic808

Enlightened
+3 on the Romisen's. I have two F4's and two C3's and they all serve me well. Great lights for the price.

Alero

Enlightened
+5 on Romisen but the RC-G2 needs a better emitter. The little P2 is kinda weak, but for the price it's probably the best deal anywhere.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
See this thread of bessiebennies, its great. Have a good read through it.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188590

I love the romisen RC-G2 for its price and its very nice and cute design, but as you say it needs to be improved with a good mod which is something that I have not done yet but plan to some time.

I may get an ultrafire C3 or 606A some time soon, I like AA batteries.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
RC-G2 is mechanically nice for the price, but it's battery efficiency is fairly low. I prefer the XJC B8 for better output and efficiency (reliable for me so far...). It's cousin the B6 may also be good, but I don't know for sure...

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's gotta be cheapie AA off DX, I would go Romisen. A couple of RC-G2's and no failures or problems out of the box. Can't say the same for some MTEs, etc.

Centropolis

Enlightened
+5 on Romisen but the RC-G2 needs a better emitter. The little P2 is kinda weak, but for the price it's probably the best deal anywhere.

Compared to the RC-G2, which only takes one AA, would the Ultrafire C3 with the 2AA extension (so I can use either one or two AAs) has a better light? Same type of spill? More battery efficient? I do need some spill because I am mostly using it for walking on trails at night.

I am basically down to the RC-G2 and the Ultrafire C3 since they are AAs but I am leaning a bit towards the C3 with the option to switch between 1 AA or 2 AAs.

Then there is the single mode C3 and the 5-modes C3. I've read more than once that the UI is not that great for the 5-mode C3.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Would the RC-N3 work? Has the head of the RC-G2(the G2 draws quite a bit from the battery, NiMh would be the best choice).

Maybe two lights, on for high and another for low, or a diffuser might also work.

They all should have enough spill.

Maybe a Headlamp?

warlord

Enlightened
I gave away an RC-F4 as a gift and I really wish that I bought for myself one too. Amazing quality for the price and a super bright light to boot. I'm planning on picking up a few RC-G2's for gifts as gifts since they use common AA cells and I know the Romisen quality. For myself though I'm picking up an Ultrafire Cree WF-602D HA-III as my first official superbright LED. Yeah, I'm new here, too!:wave:

I did however build one a little while ago with an old Luxeon III. It's was an eye opener how bright the RC-F4 is by comparison

Centropolis

Enlightened
Would the RC-N3 work? Has the head of the RC-G2(the G2 draws quite a bit from the battery, NiMh would be the best choice).

Maybe two lights, on for high and another for low, or a diffuser might also work.

They all should have enough spill.

Maybe a Headlamp?

I already have a headlamp which I using now but am looking for a flashlight to compliment.

The more I read this forum, the more I am overwhelmed by the number of choices. What makes it even more difficult is that a lot of the Ultrafires and Romisens have almost the same specs....around the same price....i just don't know enough about the different types of LED heads and the types of deflectors to make an informed decision.

Anyways, the RC-N3 is nice because you have the option of using 2AAs or 1 CR123. Then there is the Ultrafire C3 Q5 that takes 1 14500 or 1 AA or 2 AAs. So many options is why this is so hard! :) But if I buy the C3 then I would need to buy a charger and 14500 batteries whcih will bringmy cost up.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I see, didn't know you already have a headlamp(current gen LED mod?;))

You don't have to buy the 14500 for the C3. It won't offer you too much more output. The C3 would probably run a bit longer though.

Centropolis

Enlightened
I see, didn't know you already have a headlamp(current gen LED mod?;))

You don't have to buy the 14500 for the C3. It won't offer you too much more output. The C3 would probably run a bit longer though.

Realistically, how much brighter and longer runtime is the C3 Q5 when compared to the C3 P4 when using 1 AA? For an extra $4....is it worth to get the Q5? Oh..but the Q5 has extension tube and the P4 comes with holster! Choices is hard....

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Runtime should be around the same since they use the same driver. The difference should be visible but not significant.

The Stainless Steel one would look better though(not extensions with this light).

For trails, you'll probably need something with a bit more throw.

The RC-N3 should throw a bit more then the C3 because if it's larger reflector. You can also do a Q5 swap for the light to make it brighter(solder out the older LED, add thermal compound to heatsink, place and solder in new LED).

Anything after that is probably CR123 or Li-ion powered.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Runtime should be around the same since they use the same driver. The difference should be visible but not significant.

The Stainless Steel one would look better though(not extensions with this light).

For trails, you'll probably need something with a bit more throw.

The RC-N3 should throw a bit more then the C3 because if it's larger reflector. You can also do a Q5 swap for the light to make it brighter(solder out the older LED, add thermal compound to heatsink, place and solder in new LED).

Anything after that is probably CR123 or Li-ion powered.

I checked out the RC-N3 but I don't like the cheap looking clip. I know I know...I am picky....what do I want for that price right? But I would rather not have the clip.

Also, I gave in and ordered a RC-G2 tonight because for $12...it seems like everyone on this board has one. But I am still looking for a brighter AA type flashlight. Maybe something like the RC-N3 where it can take 2 AAs or 1 CR123A. Any other models from Romisen or Ultrafire that has that combination? I am only saying Romisen and Ultrafire because they seem to be popular at this price range.

mrmakochan

Newly Enlightened

Bigsy

Enlightened
I checked out the RC-N3 but I don't like the cheap looking clip. I know I know...I am picky....what do I want for that price right? But I would rather not have the clip.

Also, I gave in and ordered a RC-G2 tonight because for $12...it seems like everyone on this board has one. But I am still looking for a brighter AA type flashlight. Maybe something like the RC-N3 where it can take 2 AAs or 1 CR123A. Any other models from Romisen or Ultrafire that has that combination? I am only saying Romisen and Ultrafire because they seem to be popular at this price range.

The clip is removable on the N3.

I have every Romisen thats below 18650 size (still not received the aaa yet mind), and the N3 and G2 really are the pic's imo (my F4 gets some use too).

I loved them so much that I upgraded the G2 to DX 7880 driver and a U bin P4, makes it an unbeatable AA light.

And my N3 has been upgraded to 1.2a 3 mode kai driver and Q5, and is my EDC, it is so damn bright for it's size and can throw a bit too.