How deep is Fenix waterproof ?

Amex

Newly Enlightened
I know what Fenix is IPX-8 bla-bla-bla :)
I'm interesting in how deep water i can put Fenix without leak ? Anybody test it ? Is it good for 5-15 meters ? I plan to use it in underwater fishing.

Sorry for my,english.

greenstuffs

Banned
You could always try and report back to us. :poke:

I know what Fenix is IPX-8 bla-bla-bla :)
I'm interesting in how deep water i can put Fenix without leak ? Anybody test it ? Is it good for 5-15 meters ? I plan to use it in underwater fishing.

Sorry for my,english.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Ive heard people saying that they went diving with theirs down to pretty deep depths with no problems. I cant remember the thread but it was a while ago, maybe a search will turn it up...

GPB

Enlightened
I don't know how much light you need, but it might make sense to stick with a genuine dive light if you are planning on submerging it for an extended period. Underwater Kinetics, Princeton Tec, Pelican, ( is Ikelight still around ? ) all make good dive lights accross a wide pricing spectrum.

There are also clear waterproof bags and boxes that you could seal your light in before you submerge it. The advantage to one of the boxes is that if you check it every few minutes, you'll see the water entering the box before it enters the flashlight, giving you a chance to abort and save the light.

Illum

Flashaholic
There are also clear waterproof bags and boxes that you could seal your light in before you submerge it.

If waterproof STORAGE is what your looking for then yeah, check out Pelican's line of waterproof boxes:twothumbs

the depth the light can go depends on the condition of the o-ring and the amount of lubricants used

Some O-rings tend to bloat if the lubricant applied was petrol jelly instead of silicone based lube and that pretty much destroyed the O-rings ability to hold back water, in this case it wasn't Fenix but a surefire.:ohgeez:
Inspect your o-rings for cracks or damage before you take it swimming of what not. once awhile during cleaning I would remove the o-ring from the lamp assembly and flex it a bit, usually cracks [if any] can be seen more clearly.

My P1-CE with dry threads leaked in a rainy day, after lubing it with nyogel it went through one wash cycle [rather unintentionally] with no problems.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I just spoke to my buddy on the phone that had my other L2D Q5 over the weekend. He was staying on an island on a lake...

...Anyway he had the L2D under the water at times and thought it would be cool to tie it to a string and drag it behind the (rowing) boat at night to light up the water:shakehead. Thank God he didn't lose it. I would have been highly unimpressed if it had let in water, it's good to know that it survived the dips in the lake no problem!

GPB

Enlightened
Wow...I don't even let my wife or kids use my lights. There is a beater flashlight in the kitchen if they need it, and the kids have their own lights. This may sound harsh, but I spent WAY too much money on a knife once because it had an entirely ceramic blade which I thought was incredibly cool. My wife tried to open a paint can with it and snapped it in a heart beat. Her reply was "it wasn't a very good knife if it broke that easy"

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There was a thread where someone stated that the P1D-CE was used as a backup light and it hasn't leaked yet. I'd say waterproof to at least 10 meters.

... My wife tried to open a paint can with it and snapped it in a heart beat. Her reply was "it wasn't a very good knife if it broke that easy"

That really stinks. One knife that should have went in your personal drawer.

Does she know knives aren't meant to pry things apart like a crowbar?

Illum

Flashaholic
Does she know knives aren't meant to pry things apart like a crowbar?

some reason some people ask to borrow your knife and use it to pry things, My Kershaw Vapor went through this kinda ordeal before, sure its an $20 knife but d00d could've asked me about it first:shakehead.

Why people see knives being able to pry open things I have no idea. I've seen a lady pry out the cork of a wine bottle at a party with a steak knife [which is... yeah, pretty much destroyed before she got the cork out] and then opened up a conversation saying how poor China made knives are:shakehead

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Wow...I don't even let my wife or kids use my lights. There is a beater flashlight in the kitchen if they need it, and the kids have their own lights. This may sound harsh, but I spent WAY too much money on a knife once because it had an entirely ceramic blade which I thought was incredibly cool. My wife tried to open a paint can with it and snapped it in a heart beat. Her reply was "it wasn't a very good knife if it broke that easy"

I hope she realizes how lucky she is that it no longer had a very usable blade.....

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The reason no one's sure what depth a Fenix will survive, even after several posters have accidentally run theirs through a washing machine and others have deliberately gone diving with one, is because we've yet to have one fail from water entry :thumbsup:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know what IPX-8 is all about? Google and wiki didn't provide any help :(