Help me find a good home for a 5W

xtan1x

Newly Enlightened
Got a V3UW 5 Watter that needs to find a good home to live in. I'm looking to run it on 4 123's w/5W Powerpuck. Which flashlights would be a good, optic-less home for this poor LS?

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
5W power pucks are kinda large if I remember correctly, 1.5 inches in diameter. You're gonna need a big flashlight. Something like a 6V lantern type flashlight maybe?

xtan1x

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, perhaps 3 123's is a better idea. Do you guys think a mag reflector would work well with a 5W?

ufokillerz

Enlightened
a mag reflector would work really well with a 5W, both Mr.Bulk's SpaceNeedle I and SpaceNeedle II are based in Mag 2C's, I had a 5W SE and II had a 5W HD

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Here are beamshots courtesy of DarkGear showing the different 5W beam patterns using reflectors from two Mags on the left, and a Brinkmann NexStar on the right. The SNII uses an HD, the SN uses an SE, and the NexStar (NN), of which the reflector is much smaller and shallower, with less curvature along its side taper, uses an SE:

sniivsnvnn.jpg

Note how tight and clean the 5W HD (SNII) can be focused using a Mag reflector. That beam will throw across the small canyon behind my home, easily 200 yards or more.