Arc AAA mod to save the battery

Lumenz

Enlightened
One of the things that has always bugged me about the Arc AAA is that there is a a little piece of metal jutting up from the bottom of the battery tube which dimples the negative side of the battery. To me, this never seemed like it was very safe. It seemed to me like this could possibly puncture the battery.

Well, I just received a couple new Arcs today and I decided to do something about it. I took the split ring off the Arc and then got some wire cutters and cut the split ring in half. (I cut it where there is only one ring showing) Then I had two rings. I dropped one ring into each of my Arcs and then pushed the rings to the bottom of the battery tube using a AAA battery.

Now the ring acts as a spacer so that my batteries do not get the dimples anymore. I am much happier with the Arc and the mod was completely free. Now all I have to do is find a way to keep the foam from falling off the head. :D

gallagho

Enlightened
Surely the 'little piece of metal jutting up from the bottom of the battery tube' is there by design to ensure proper electrical contact with the battery? The extra sliver of metal might be a source of flicker??

Owen

Last edited:

Lumenz

Enlightened
gallagho - I've already done this to two of my Arc AAA lights (and plan to do it to the other three that I currently own) and there is no flicker--the battery still touches the negative contact. The only difference is that when you tighten the flashlight--turning it on--it will not be able to push too hard on the metal piece which dimples the negative side of the battery. The half split-ring just acts as a stop to make sure you cannot push the battery down too far.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only time I dimpled a battery on an Arc is when I over tightened my light. I avoid this by doing an "action job" on the threads. If the head twist is butter smooth, the head will never be jammed down to much, at least for me.
I'm not sure why your foam is falling off but Peter will send you some free, if you ask.:twothumbs

Latest posts