Please explain the L1 tailcap...

jugg2

Enlightened
Hi guys! I'm in the market for my first SF LED. I have narrowed it down to the E1B, or the L1. By the output, beam shape, and levels they seem very similar. I am leaning toward the L1, since it comes on in low. The only thing I question is the tailcap. I have heard a lot about it, and I believe the same tailcap on the A2. I searched, but could not find a basic explanation as to how it really works. Can someone please explain?:confused:

jugg2

Enlightened
Same tailcap as the A2. Depress partially for Low, depress fully for High. Or twist for constant low, twist all the way for constant high.

That is just the kind of dead simple answer I was looking for! Thanks a lot!

Just one more question: if you have the light twisted for constant on, can you press the tailcap and get a momentary high?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It's a fairly simple design.

The tailcap has multiple contacts, one set higher than the other. The higher one is connected to a resistor that connects to the spring. The lower ones connect directly to the spring.

When you first screw the tailcap down, the electricity flows through the higher contact and the resistor. The electronics see a mere fraction of the total voltage. The light's converter falls out of regulation and the light barely glows.

When you screw it down tighter the lower contact touches the flashlight body and effectively shorts out the resistor. The electronics now see the full voltage and the LED is fully powered.

Simple design, but getting the parts small and reliable is difficult.

Daniel

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a fairly simple design.

The tailcap has multiple contacts, one set higher than the other. The higher one is connected to a resistor that connects to the spring. The lower ones connect directly to the spring.

When you first screw the tailcap down, the electricity flows through the higher contact and the resistor. The electronics see a mere fraction of the total voltage. The light's converter falls out of regulation and the light barely glows.

When you screw it down tighter the lower contact touches the flashlight body and effectively shorts out the resistor. The electronics now see the full voltage and the LED is fully powered.

Simple design, but getting the parts small and reliable is difficult.

Daniel

Then the resistor wastes a fair amount of power? Or does the resistor signal to the electronics that the light is in low mode?

jugg2

Enlightened
Thanks! Sounds good to me. After I get my tax refund, I will be picking one of these things up! :twothumbs

Thanks for all the help guys!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Then the resistor wastes a fair amount of power? Or does the resistor signal to the electronics that the light is in low mode?

The amount of wasted power is about 1/2 of what is used in the low mode. If you stop to think about that, it's really quite a win. The LED and resistor together use something like 1/20th the power of the light on high. That would mean the resistor "wastes" 1/40th of the power that the light normally uses.

It simulates a battery that has run down.

Daniel

Wattnot

Enlightened
Just one more question: if you have the light twisted for constant on, can you press the tailcap and get a momentary high?

Yes. I was doing this just tonight. What a fantastic light. I was reading some criticisms of it just tonight and laughing at the things they were saying bad about it because they are so wrong!

Anyway, yes, you can have it twisted on low and hit the button for momentary high. I was holding it for quite a while for my neighbor who was rotating tires on a dually. What an awesome light the L1 Cree is!

jugg2

Enlightened
Thanks wattnot. Sounds like a great light from all the reviews I've heard. Seems like the only thing some people don't like is the "throwy" beam. Personally, I like my lights a little throwy.

jag808808

Enlightened
Only thing better than an L1 is a MilkySeouled L1! It is almost as bright as my U2!!! Currently saving up for either a U2 mod or picking up a Ti light... the insanity.... Great choice of light. Still prefer my L2D Q5 for EDC but wish it had momentary...

jugg2

Enlightened
Just ordered my L1 from Battery Junction! I would think it will be here in less than a week. I can't wait!

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered my L1 from Battery Junction! I would think it will be here in less than a week. I can't wait!

I loved my SureFire L1 Digital Lumamax so much, that in 1 week of having it, I bought another brand new SureFire L1 just for a back up.

The L1 is one of my favorites out of 10 SF lights that I own.