Just got my SF E1 and Purple Photon II

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a used E1 in the mail today. I was very curious about it, and had read a lot of mixed posts on it. After playing with it for a couple of hours I have to say that I REALLY like it!!

The size is nice; only slightly larger than my slightly enhanced Infinity task light, but MUCH brighter with a lot more throw to it.

I don't mind the tightly focused beam at all. If I need a flood for walking around in the dark I have 2 or 3 Photons at any given moment in my pockets. The beam quality is not quite as even as my E2, so I may add a piece of writeright to the lens to smooth that out and help protect the lens while it is loose in the bottom of my pocket.

The purple Photon II is fun also. Enough purple light that you can use it to find your way around in the dark, and enough UV that many things will glow funky colors! The living room curtains glow pale green!!
shocked.gif

Very nifty little lights both of them!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Revolvergeek,

Might I ask who you got these items from?

["There is no need to quote the post if your question followings it. Quoting takes up brandwidth I believe." Edited by Size15s 08:50 BST 14/06/02]

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk,

The E1 came from a charity auction over on bladeforums, and the purple photon II was ordered by a dealer from Moteng.com. They should be getting the purple III sometime soon also, but they couldn't tell us when.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info RG,

Just one last question, the purple Photon -- is there a difference between it and a true UV light? I heard something about UV being harmful, but what about the purple beam of this Photon?

Thanks.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
Thanks for the info RG,

Just one last question, the purple Photon -- is there a difference between it and a true UV light? I heard something about UV being harmful, but what about the purple beam of this Photon?

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

revolvergeek/MR.Bulk
I've been experimentimg a lot with those "purple" LEDs (for charging luminescent materials).
The purple is approx. 410nm or so, as opposed to 370-390 for UV
-So I call it "near-UV".

revolvergeek should note that the P3 purple is available right now for $12.25 from VICOMPTEL-as mentioned on other threads. (CPF members only)

You would need to email them with your CPF name, your location, what you want, and Pay method.
p.s.-the "purple" should not be harmful, but it's not a good idea to stare right into it (anyway)
grin.gif
-the REAL UV is down in the 254nm range and should b used with considerable caution.
Craig-LED Museum is the authority on UV LEDs.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Doug, thanks for the info, nice to know near-UV is at least a bit safer. BTW, sent out the pkg-w/in-a-pkg yesterday...

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH!
shocked.gif
Thanks for the tip Doug. I didn't know about the purple Photon III deal! That is cheaper than mine are backorded for! I don't get to read all the threads on here, and miss a lot it seems.

This is supposed to be an 'intense' UV source and has a warning on the battery cover area to that effect. It puts out decent visible purple light (true purple, but not too bright) and what seems to me to be a lot of UV. It makes highlighters and plastic aliens glow at 20feet, and a 1/2 sec exposure will make Extreme Glow sheeting glow quite bright for several minutes. The cats freak out when I turn it on and have to come investigate.

This is the first near UV/ UV light that I have played with, so I have to frame of reference. Not sure what I needed it for, but it has been a lot of fun!!
grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
revolvergeek..
As I posted one other time, the Luxeon Star (355nm Royal BL. just phosphoreses the $h*t out BL posters and anything with neon-like paint on it!
I call it a "near-pseudo UV"
grin.gif

It's of course also great for charging up anything from glowsheet to the much more potent (but stubborn blue/green pigments.

I've also heard rumors of a "purple" Luxeon Star in the near future.
cool.gif