Nitecore questions

sourcehill

Newly Enlightened
I was going to buy a Nitecore off of ebay from user 'scopeandlaser' in China. I held off because Mike from TAD Gear mentioned that there are after-market factory seconds floating around China. I emailed Mike asking him about what to look for to make sure I wasn't getting a factory second. He told me that he personally has never seen or heard about the factory seconds and the new production Nitecores don't have 'STRONG LIGHT' on the head of the flashlight. Well I finally ordered one and it arrived today (5 days from payment!). It in fact does not have "STRONG LIGHT" on the head and it also does not have the star logo on the handle. Do you think it's possible that the ones coming from China are new production lights or do you think I got scammed and got a fake light? It seems to be real with Nitecore box, manual, warranty card and lanyard. Thanks in advance!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first lights of the second batch are definitely being delivered in these days so it is reasonable to believe that you have one of them. Moreover the lights of the first batch (marked Strong Light) have been sold within December of last year so it would be rather late for some of them to appear now on the marketplace.

jugg2

Enlightened
Crenshaw, another member just posted a thread about his replacement NDI. His was faulty, and Nitecore replaced it. According to him it does not have "Strong Light", or the star logo either, and his came from Nitecore.

Last edited:

sourcehill

Newly Enlightened
Good catch! I haven't even looked at the spare parts till you mentioned it. Good to know I have an extra one.

sourcehill

Newly Enlightened
I've been playing with it for a while and one thing I noticed is the tailcap has to be screwed on tight for the light to function. Even the smallest amount of loosening will make the light go out. I've had Surefires that would only go out if you turned the tailcap almost a full half turn. Is this normal for the Nitecore? I'd be concerned that I would go to use it sometime and it doesn't function because of being untightened even the slightest bit.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I've been contemplating to get one, but I've been cynical regarding the origin of the Nitecores in ebay. Might be imitations or seconds, but they look like the original.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I've been playing with it for a while and one thing I noticed is the tailcap has to be screwed on tight for the light to function. Even the smallest amount of loosening will make the light go out. I've had Surefires that would only go out if you turned the tailcap almost a full half turn. Is this normal for the Nitecore? I'd be concerned that I would go to use it sometime and it doesn't function because of being untightened even the slightest bit.

It's because the threads are annodized and the body has to make contact with the tailcap. It's a non-issue.

Abumustafa

Enlightened

Its also a Safety lockout feature in case the flashlight comes on in your pocket :D if you fear that it might come on by mistake then all you can do is loosen the tailcap an it will neva turn on accidently Wala :crackup:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

What your worring about is actually purposely designed into the light. As others have said it is a Lock out feature which I find reasurring. I have forgotton to use it and low and behold the light turns on in my pocket.

Bill

CandleFranky

Enlightened
I had plans to get a NDI but looks like now I'm going to wait and settle for the 2nd version of the JetBeam Pro.
But beware: The JETBeam Pro is a mini-thrower, NOT an EDC!

Because the JETBeam Pro has a centered smooth reflector and no real low like the Nitecore Defender (5/7 lm). But it's capabilities as a mini-thrower are very impressive, it is naturally not comparable with real size throwers Regalight or Dereelight DBS. :shakehead

Please remark that the JETBeam Jet-II Mk3 (Q5) is cheaper ($56, shipping included) and brighter and has more throw. But it gets warm after short time.

I have bought my JETBeam Pro at hkequipment and got a real JETBeam Pro. No problems with this store. So I have no reason to believe the actually offered Nitecore Defender is a fake. I advice you to buy at hkequipment, because I have made some good experiences with this shop. On the other side, I have had one bad experience with scopeandlaser (light not working).

Last edited:

ThomasEdison

Banned

Because the JETBeam Pro has a centered smooth reflector and no real low like the Nitecore Defender (5/7 lm). But it's capabilities as a mini-thrower are very impressive, it is naturally not comparable with real size throwers Regalight or Dereelight DBS. :shakehead

Please remark that the JETBeam Jet-II Mk3 (Q5) is cheaper ($56, shipping included) and brighter and has more throw. But it gets warm after short time.

I have bought my JETBeam Pro at hkequipment and got a real JETBeam Pro. No problems with this store. So I have no reason to believe the actually offered Nitecore Defender is a fake. I advice you to buy at hkequipment, because I have made some good experiences with this shop. On the other side, I have had one bad experience with scopeandlaser (light not working).

I have bought two lights from them as well and both were what they were claimed to be and new in package.

ThomasEdison

Banned

I have bought two lights from them as well and both were what they were claimed to be and new in package.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would almost call that trolling :nana:

its actually a good thing, but one time it scared the hell out of me, cos the switch was intermittent, and i didnt know why, then i realised abit of my glo-ring and moved and was blocking the switch from fully screwing down. As in my thread, the 2nd run does not have the strong light thing, etc..so youre good. :)

Crenshaw

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a matter of fact in my NDI I have the habit of changing the battery from the front so to leave the tailcap fully and safely screwed in. :cool:

No lock out for me, the light is always ready to shoot....:whistle:

pbs357

Enlightened
As a matter of fact in my NDI I have the habit of changing the battery from the front so to leave the tailcap fully and safely screwed in. :cool:

No lock out for me, the light is always ready to shoot....:whistle:

Great tip, and I don't think I've seen that posted before but I do the same thing. It actually helped break in the head threads, and the twisting motion is nice and smooth now.