60$ Budget

Wyl

Newly Enlightened
There is so much infomation to read on thia site, it's over welming!! There also seems to be a lot of brand loyalty with flashlights.

I am looking for a handheld flashlight i can carry on my belt and use everyday. And something i can show off, as the brightest light in the place!

Is my 60$ budget realistic for a great flashlight?

Thank you for the help!

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
Sure, you can definitely get a great light for $60. What you choose depends on a number of factors. From your post, it doesn't sound like you have any special needs and are looking for a good EDC light.

However, you should probably consider the battery type before you pick a light. The main options are CR123, AA and AAA. CR123 lights put out a whole lot of light, but the batteries tend to be on the expensive side and can be hard to find in retail shops. There are also pretty impressive AA and AAA lights as well, but they are usually less bright than CR123 lights. The other aspect to consider is primary or rechargeable cells. If you are going to use the light a lot, it makes sense to invest in rechargeable cells. There are plenty of good options for rechargable batteries. I prefer NiMH because they are readily available, easy to use and very safe (i.e., they seldom explode on you!)

The other thing to consider is whether you want a single mode or multimode light. Single mode are simple, but have less flexibility because you only get one level of light. Multimode lights are more complicated, but you can tune the level of light to the job at hand.

Personally, I am partial to Fenix lights for EDC. I have a L0D Q4 (AAA, an L1D Q5 (AAA) and a P2D Q5 (cr123). I usually carry the LOD Q4 because it sits in my pocket nicely. The L1D and P2D are usually in my briefcase. I run both lights on eneloop rechargeable batteries, and they work great. If you're interested in Fenix lights, I suggest fenix-store.com. They have an 8% discount for CPF members (discount code = CPF8).

Welcome to CPF and good luck shopping. If you can stick to the $60 budget, you have more discipline than me.

optodoofus

rourtex23

Newly Enlightened
you can get a olight t10 for 50 bucks and that sucker is pretty bright for its size

Wyl

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF and good luck shopping. If you can stick to the $60 budget, you have more discipline than me.

optodoofus

How right are you.... I am finding it so tough to stick to a budget after reading all the theads here! The Surefire 6P defender looks so cool!!!!

I had a SteamLight TL-2, till i lost it after 3 years of using it :(

So I am use to changing my CR123A every few months. Although i never thought of using rechargeables.....

Keep the suggestions coming! :)

generic808

Enlightened
Like you've said, there is a lot of brand loyalty here. I, personally, stick to Surefire because of their proven reliability, durability, and the ABSOLUETLY AWESOME no-hassle lifetime warranty! I cannot stress just how great their customer service and warranty is.

For $60 there is a bunch of lights you could choose from. For starters, you could always go with the classic 6P format and mod your way to a better light as funds allow.

Brand new Surefire 6P (ebay - shipped) $42
DX drop-in sku 6090 (best-bang-for-the-buck) $10
DSD charger and RCR rechargeables (DX) $11

Which would bring your total to just a TAD over $60, but you'll have rechargeable batteries, so that'll save you in the long run. Looking back to when I first got into this hobby, that's just how I would have my first set-up. Good luck on your decision!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Like you've said, there is a lot of brand loyalty here. I, personally, stick to Surefire because of their proven reliability, durability, and the ABSOLUETLY AWESOME no-hassle lifetime warranty! I cannot stress just how great their customer service and warranty is.

For $60 there is a bunch of lights you could choose from. For starters, you could always go with the classic 6P format and mod your way to a better light as funds allow.

Which would bring your total to just a TAD over $60, but you'll have rechargeable batteries, so that'll save you in the long run. Looking back to when I first got into this hobby, that's just how I would have my first set-up. Good luck on your decision!

x2... thats my current setup.
Although if you don't need the proven reliability and customer support there are more economical options.

todo

Newly Enlightened
If I could have only one light, it would be a LODq4
and a few 10440 rechargable lithium batteries and a charger. The LOD is a shockingly bright light for its size. It amazes more people than any other light I've got. And the fact that it easily fits in your shirt or pant pocket, means its allways there.

I believe this package can be had for $60 or very close to it.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Can you give some details of how you intend to 'use everyday'. What for? How long?

For bright lights run for extended periods every day it is best to go with rechargeable batteries. Are you currently using any rechargeable batteries (for example in a digital camera) and if so what kind?

If your use every day is a minute or less it might be economical to go with disposable CR123A cell torches. CR123A batteries are shorter than AAs but because it is 3V usually provide brighter light.

Belt carry can mean anything up to a 3D Maglight! Preferred size please. 1AAA, 1CR123A, 1AA, 2CR123A, 2AA?

I will stick with common battery simple UI torches here. Others can chime in with lithium based ones.

At the low end <$20. None of these comes with a holster:
1AA
MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U
Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree
3AAA provides brighter light but runtime is less.
Romisen RC-W4 Cree

Moving up you get a better construction/service. $40-$50
Fenix L1T V2.0 RB80. 1AA. Comes with holster.
Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80 2AA. 1.5x brighter & 1.5x longer runtime than the L1T but much longer. Comes with holster.
Fenix Digital L0D Q4 1AAA. 5 modes medium-low-high-strobe-SOS. Comes with pocket clip & tiny split ring (to attach to your keychain). Some members have run this light with a 10440 Li-on (NOT RECOMMENDED) making it among the brightest single LED light around.

We now get into premium lights ~$60:
Fenix Digital L1D Olive Premium Q5 1AA. Many modes. Has the best LED shipping from Fenix at present. Comes with holster.

Fenix store has a 8% discount for CPF members, coupon code CPF8

If you go with one of these lights I suggest a pack of LSD NiMH (Sanyo Eneloop or RayOvac Hybrid) and a charger that can charge 1,2,3,4 batteries. Most low end chargers can only charge 2 or 4.
If you are one of those that ignore warnings... Ultra Fire 10440 3.6V 500mAh 2Pack and Ultra Fire 10440 14500 Ac Charger (for L0D)

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a ton of lights but for some reason the 6P new got my attention until tonight. Got a couple questions-

What DX batteries do you recommend? Can you run a single battery in it, or do you have to run 2x 123s or something?

Is there an easy way to make it a 2-stage light?

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could have only one light, it would be a LODce
and a few 10440 rechargable lithium batteries and a charger.

If I could have only 1 light under $100 it would probably be this. If you want -wow- factor on a budget this is it.

Centropolis

Enlightened

Sorry for asking a sidetrack question....

How is this setup different than the stock 6P LED? Is the difference of the drop-in make it so that you can use rechargables? I have a stock G2L and I want to know if it'll take 3.6V RCR123s safely. If not, I may mod it so that I CAN use rechargable CR123s.

Sorry Wyl.....to answer your question, I would say a stock G2L off eBay would be about $60 if you're not into modding anything at the moment.

generic808

Enlightened
I've used Trustfire RCR's in my lights with no problems whatsoever, though some would never use them. AW (found in the marketplace) seems to be a favorite amongst everyone on here. They are a bit pricey compared to the cheapy TF's, but they're supposed to be of much better quality. But, like stated earlier, I've never had any problems with TF's personally. If you want to go with a single cell, the 17670 will fit. All my lights are single stage so I couldn't answer that last question for you.

generic808

Enlightened
The 6090 is brighter than the LED found in the 6PL. The voltage range is from 3.0-18.0, so you can run it in many different configurations. I have 1 in a 6P (converted to 9P via extender) running 3 x 3.6V RCR's, and 2 in two seperate G2's. The 6090 gives you much flexiblity because of the voltage range. In fact, I just ordered another batt extender to convert my light to a 12P :naughty:

Sorry for asking a sidetrack question....

How is this setup different than the stock 6P LED? Is the difference of the drop-in make it so that you can use rechargables? I have a stock G2L and I want to know if it'll take 3.6V RCR123s safely. If not, I may mod it so that I CAN use rechargable CR123s.

Sorry Wyl.....to answer your question, I would say a stock G2L off eBay would be about $60 if you're not into modding anything at the moment.

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mess with multiple rechargeables but I've got some 17670s so I may give this a try. Thanks!

Wyl

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Can you give some details of how you intend to 'use everyday'. What for? How long?

I am an onsite technican for a popular tourist attaction in Toronto the CN Tower :)

I find myself in the ceiling, and in dark corners every so often. I would perfer a 2 CR123a battery size light. Something i can slip on and off my belt, but is small enough that it won't catch on something when I crawling. As i meationed before, the Streamlight TL-2 seem to be the perfect size... The batteries usually lasted a few months.. so i would say it's an infrequant use.

But I am trying to get something i can show off! :p

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am an onsite technican for a popular tourist attaction in Toronto the CN Tower :)
Ah-Ha.
Have to let people know where you are!

Take a look through this thread over at CPFMP.
CANADA good deals
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170044

Post #2 Canada Flashlight Retail Stores:
Nothing beats try before you buy.

Fenix:
The General store
Hillcrest mall
9350 Yonge Street, Richmond Hill, Ontario
-
Woodbine Shopping Centre
500 Rexdale Blvd., Etobicoke, ON M9W 6K5
-
online store
http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/
-----
http://www.fenixtactical.com/
Toronto

Surefire:
Tetragon Distributors Inc.
2378 Dunwin Drive,Mississauga, Ontario,L5L-1J9
800-387-6542 Toll Free
905-828-9803 Local
905-828-6390 Fax
http://www.tetragon.ca/
Surefire, Streamlight
-
lebaron store locations (Ontario & Quebec)
http://www.lebaron.ca/english/thestores.htm
Maglights, Streamlights, Surefire

Do not know anything about Surefires but the Fenix P3D Q5 should do. A bit over your budget though. $68.99cdn+taxes at the General Stores listed above. CAD $65.95 +GST +PST at http://www.fenixtactical.com/.
I am trying to get something i can show off! :p

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L0DQ4/10440 is good for shock and awe but may be a tad small for a work light. Also I find twisties to be a 2 handed operation also no good for a work light. I would get a P3D Q5 or P2D Q5 if budget is limited now and save for the L0D later. The longer the wait, the better the chance of getting a L0D R4.
-Since you said it twice it must be important.

- I'll say it twice, LODQ4 for shock and awe.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. I vote for the P2D-Q5. Small, bright (180 Lumens) good quality. I think the last time I looked it was $55.00 plus free shipping.

Bill

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look around you can find a G2L for $60.00 (CPF discount??)
Also IMHO your best values are on the BST forum.
If you are new there especially.
If you look there you will be able to get more light if you buy used than if you buy new.

Here is the thing about this. On the CPF the users are fickle. one day they love this light the next it is another. What6 happens is that there are plenty of users who sell a light after they have barley used the first battery. Set your sights on the light you want and then put an add on the WTB area and also keep your eye on the BST forum. you will need to act fast because good deals happen all the time and there are plenty of people looking.
IMHO you will be able to find just what you are looking for there (as long as it is not a custom light, which you aren't going to find for $60.00 anyway.
Good luck and have fun!!
Yaesumofo

There is so much information to read on Thia site, it's overwhelming!! There also seems to be a lot of brand loyalty with flashlights.

I am looking for a handheld flashlight i can carry on my belt and use everyday. And something i can show off, as the brightest light in the place!

Is my 60$ budget realistic for a great flashlight?

Thank you for the help!