Replacement for Inova X1 Gen 2?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What other AA 1x5mm LED light is there? No Gerber Infinity please (hate the fact that it's a butchered version of my favorite design)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not many options out there anymore. Many of us wish Arc would produce another AA version using a DS or GS 5mm LED. Beyond that you can always get one from Peak.
But in all honesty I think that power LEDs are the way to go for most everything now. A good driver can keep a Cree, SSC, TFFC K2 or Rebel nice and dim, and yet be able to blast out bright if you really need it. The trick is finding a UI that suits you for AA lights.
The main drawback to this though is it ends up costing a bit more if you want quality.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some Target retail stores have these on sale for $14. Get them while supplies last.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found a Mk2 Inova X1 at Target, but passed because it flaked out and stopped working while demoing it - want me to grab it, you pay shipping? Could be something simple (dirty contact) or complicated (cold solder joint in the head) - I dunno.

FWIW, they're clearanced for $13.98 right now, before tax.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
...No Gerber Infinity please (hate the fact that it's a butchered version of my favorite design)
I also was a true fan of the CMG Infinity and bemoaned the design change of the Gerber Infinity. Nonetheless, I got some Gerbers recently because of their closeout price and I have to say, there are some plusses.

First off, I think Gerber uses a better (Nichia CS?) LED so it is brighter - unavoidable technology evolution since CMG stopped making them. The second thing was a surprise: it uses a spring loaded twisty design like the Civictor (but backwards) which is the most reliable type of twisty design and better than what the CMG had. The spring loaded design does not require current to be carried through the threads and so is immune to gunk or corrosion on the threads. My old CMGs were fairly reliable but one did flicker some if you let the threads get dirty. Not so the Gerber, so I'm erasing the demerit I gave them back then.

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
I just returned from my local target with a gen2 X1 that was on sale for $9.98 They had the gen3's for the usual $19.95. I now have a complete set of all three. My fave would probably be the gen1. Unusual beam but pretty bright. Seems to me that unless Inova does a complete re-do of the current X1 one won't be replacing any X1 with another unless one can find a left-over gen2 that's still hanging on a hook at your local Target. Seems thay took a good design and made it worse. What were they thinking? I wonder why they stopped making the original X1's?