File Synchronization programs

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got myself a Western Digital passport for backing up files. I tried using their synchronization program but it's real buggy. Anyone know of a good synchronization program? Preferably free open source but have no problem paying for one if it's really good. Nothing fancy, just want to keep certain folders on my PC in sync.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use dirdiff for X in *NIX but in searching for something comparable for my wife's win boxes I couldn't find anything as fast or simple. After quite a bit of poking around I found WinMerge-2.6.14.

The good news is it's truly open source (GPL) and not just win 'freeware' crap with adware, spyware, etc. The bad news is that there is a learning curve -- it's nowhere near as 'from the hip' as dirdiff. I kicked around with it a bit and it looks pretty powerful but it will help if you have a working knowlege of regular expressions.

I'd also like to hear about what folks are usingfor win.

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very few win32 sync apps compare to the venerable Second Copy. I am a software junkie and only use best-of-breed apps with low working sets, reasonable memory footprints, system-to-system portability and a history of stability. Less README and associated help files, Second Copy weighs in at 3.34 MB on disk. Total byte size can be furthered reduced by removing its compression library and compressing all executables via UPX.

Lumenz

Enlightened
A really good FREE synchronizing/backup program is SyncBack. I have been using this program for over a year now and I have had no problems with it. I even have it send me e-mail alerts when a backup fails.

Latest posts