Some questions on LED emiters/drivers

Charon

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading up on the different LED's and probably have more questions now then when I started.

I have been unable to find information on the difference of LED bin types (V,U,Q,....,etc)?
I have been watching for Malkoff mag drop-ins to become available and while doing so have been looking more into LED's.

Now the malkoff drop-in uses a U bin Seoul Semiconductor P4 LED and has a regulated driver.

This is the same emitter that PhotonFanatic sells ? Correct?

Seoul Semiconductor's P4 U bin Stars (W42182-USW0H), color bin SW0, Vf: H = 3.00 to 3.25V. 91-118 lumen output at 350 mA, or 240 lumens at 1A!

Deal extreme has the following
SSC Seoul P4 (U-bin) SW0 Bare Emitter MPU/Model # W42180-U (SW0)

Different Model#'s (slightly) PhotonFanatic is 82-U Dealextreme is 80-U I cannot figure out the difference ? I have also heard of P7's difference from P4's ?

The driver the Malkoff uses is a custom driver for his product correct ? Where would one find information on buying or building drivers for the above emitters ? Or can they be run directly from batteries ? Large difference in controlling output ?

I have spent alot of time searching and reading but still need help from people in figuring these things out.

**Edit**
These emitters with connection board. All the "Star" Board does is provide a heat sink and an easier method to wire the led with ? And there are no driver electronics in it correct ?

Last edited:

Bigsy

Enlightened
Different model number refers to one coming with a star pre-soldered and the other being a bare emitter. And yes these are the brightest SSC emitters atm...if you discount the P7 which is essentially 4 SSC P4 dies welded together, no dropins for this are out atm, nor drivers it would seem.

Then can be directly driven off batteries if the voltage is within range, roughly 3 > 4v. Best to run them off a driver, check the flashlight diy sections on dealextreme and kaidomain to view all the different battery configurations, light modes etc etc that are available.

You are right the star just provides ease of mounting (very little heat sinking at all though), no driver.

Last edited: