Excellent Value at Big Lots Store!!

WayneM

Newly Enlightened
Don't know how many of you have a Big Lots store nearby, but they are selling a 4-pack of Panasonic Ni-Mh cells, rated at 1600 mAh, for $4.99.

They also have the Ray-o-vac black rubber 4AA flashlights AND the Greatland compass lights - your choice for $2.49. Both lights are rubber, use 4 AA cells in series, are short and stubby (very much like a Turtlelite or Dorcy Cool blue), and have a VERRRY tight beam. There are several posts in the forum on these lights.

I bought 6 packs of the NiMh AAs and 3 of the flashlights.

A cheap, killer mod is to use the NiMh cells in these lights, and replace the original bulb with a XPR-103 (Xenon flanged base made for 3D cells, rated 800 mA at 3.75 volts). This combo throws a tight bright beam for a LONG LONG way. Not much of an area light, but a very impressive mini-spotlight.

The only uncertainty is how long the bulb will last.

Grog

Enlightened
I picked up one of the Green AA compass lights. I'll have to go back to find the batteries.

You still have any BD left?

Saaby

Flashaholic
What exactly IS a compass light...I looked around here, didn't do any thurough investigation, but just looked around and couldn't find anything on it. Is it just a light with one of those $0.10 compasses in it?? Not that you'd expect much out of a compass built into a light but...

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
The light has a "$.10" compass built in the top of the cap/reflector end with a hole in the reflector to allow backlight to the compass. I think they are marketed as a "Ducks Unlimited" model.

Grog

Enlightened
It's like a Dorcy 4AA with a small compass built into the head with a small hole in the reflector to light up the compass. The compass glows after also. $2.49

It is marked Greatland. They had a 4D lantern style that was a Duck's Unlimited. $5.99

They also had a led auto light for $2.99 that had 15 or 20 leds in it.

Edit//
The "Dollar General" Dorcy at $2.99 is better becauce of the reflector.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ah, ok that's kinda what I figured.

LED Auto light eh?? Like to replace your stop/turn with? Might be visiting my Big Lots after all....

Grog

Enlightened
It is an emergrncy (breakdown) light that has magnets on the back to stick on your car.

I only had $6 in cash the last time I went so i could not get them all
grin.gif

I'll stop by tonight and see what I can do.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ducks Unlimited lights are kinda cool because they are 2D size but only use 4AA, and have a 'waterproof' compartment on the tail end of the light. Not sure what i will put in it, but maybe firestarting stuff or some spare batteries or something.

I also picked up a few packs of the NiMH AA 1600 4-packs for $4.99 each. Now i just need a charger.....

Walmart also had a lot of lights on sale last night when i went. Picked up 2 DB 4AAAs for $5 each, and 2 Eveready "Waterproof" 2 D cell lights for $3.45 each. These are actually kinda cool, and come with a 2.4v .7a bulb with a combo dimpled-at-the-base / smooth-at-the-top reflector so they throw a pretty bright smooth beam compared to a lot of the other cheapies. I may stick one of John B's 3 red LED pr base blubs in one for a long life toolbox light.

Grog

Enlightened
They were out of the Compass light. They had one DU (Ducks Unlimited) compass light that they had not had last time.

3.99 One DU 4AA with compartment with room for 4AAs and a spare bulb.

5.99 One DU 4D compass light. Has DU logo raised frosted on lens but it's more for coolness factor.

2.99 One Rayovac Workhorse Hazard-Lite..12 Leds takes 4AA, has a bright flashing pattern and steady on.

4.99 Pan. NIMH AA

3.99 Enegizer e2 Titanium 4pk C,D 8pk AAA...I bought the last two packs of D as I needed some and that $! a piece for a size I don't use much (except for the above 4D ducklight
smile.gif
).

I never thought I could spend over 40 bux at BigLots.
smile.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Local big lots has 500,000 CP lights and 1,000,000 CP lights for 4.99 and 12.99 respectivly pretty nice deal being that they are RECHAREABLE you couldn't even buy the battery for that most likely

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I don't have much to add more than this:

I'll be going to the Big Lots in Edmond tonight, and maybe the new Super Target, and give a report on how much money I waste, I mean, how good an investment on lighting technology I make.

UPDATE: Didn't go last night-- going Monday. Sorry.

Grog

Enlightened
Testing at work last night. It's good my boss did not drop by, "why do you have 5 flashlights with you?"

The 4DDuck light and Compass light are very white. I picked up a 2pk of 3D mag bulbs at Wal Mart this morning and they are whiter now.
smile.gif

The LED can be seen for a pretty good distance. I'll try to do a distance run at night this week with a LEO buddy of mine and see how far away he can see it.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welp,
I went to the Edmond Big Lots last night. Picked up a 500,000CP recharcheable spotlight for $9.99.

Didn't find the NiMH cells, and didn't find the Workhorse LED flasher light thingy.

Did get some AA Titanium cells and tons of Arizona iced tea, and some nice herring filets...

Also noticed they had the 1 Gallon Pur Pitcher (including filter) for $19.99, and a 4-pack of the filters for $19.99. Not too shabby.

I like that rechargeable spotlight. Up close it seems the Legend LX has the brighter beam (it IS much whiter) but over a great distance you can tell the spotlight is brighter. May pick up another sometime, to keep in the house.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool-- went to the Ponca City Big Lots today-- bought their last three Workhorse LED flashers, pretty nifty little critters with a sorta slow flash and a steady mode (much dimmer when steady than flashing), a 4pk of 2007-dated Titanium AA's for $2.49, an 8pk of 2007-dated Titanium AAA's for $3.99, and a couple of 4pks of "Turbo Cell" Premium Alkaline Batteries for 98¢ each. (How bad could they have been, I wonder?)

I noticed they did have a great many of the Panasonic 4pk AA NiMH cells for $4.99, but I passed on getting any.

I notice that the Edmond Big Lots has a much better food section than the Ponca City one, but this trip to Ponca really paid off. (Both stores are about 45mi. from me-- but once in Edmond you're so much closer to OTHER shopping that I usually head in that direction.)

-------------------
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Latest posts