Emitter in a Blackberry?

mr.squatch

Enlightened
My gf just got a new blackberry and commented to me that it has the same kind of "lightbulb" as the pink minimag I built her. "you know,,, the crazy yellow flat thing that doesn't look like a lightbulb." I was so proud of her for noticing. lol. I started messing with it and it's freakin bright, acts as a flash for photos or you can turn it on fulltime for video. I had no idea phone technology was as far ahead as flashlights :D Can't wait til after dark, gonna see how much light it actually puts out. Have I mentioned how proud of my gf I am? :p Now I want a blackberry of my own.

g

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful... you don't want to land any planes on your lawn with the burner!! :lolsign:

It's wicked handy to have a light on a phone. My BB doesn't have it but my old I860 did and I used it more than I thought I would. :)

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even the Blackberry screen puts out enough light to navigate in darkness. A good last resort emergency light.

What kind of BB does video? My 8310 Curve doesn't.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
I've had a few phones with lights, but none brighter than a keychain pinchy led type. This thing puts out a LOT of light compared. I built her a 3.7v minimag with a tlex5 that's brighter in the hotspot but her phone puts out as much light I'd bet, and its a huge wide flood. I'm impressed. Phone manufacturer ftw for a change. She says the phone does a lot of other stuff too, but none of it interests me. lol.

g

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's must be referring the lame *** LED RIM put on some of their Blackberry's that passes for a camera flash. While it's mildly useful for taking pictures in the dark, it's no camera flash.

GadgetProne

Newly Enlightened
Even the Blackberry screen puts out enough light to navigate in darkness. A good last resort emergency light.

What kind of BB does video? My 8310 Curve doesn't.
The newer BB Pearls have video....There is a new OS update pending to make the current crop of BB's capable of Video. I found a Beta and have it running on my 8320. It will be OS 4.5. Look in options in the about field, lists you version. Or start an sms or email and type myver and it will show your handheld OS. Keep your eyes on www.pinstack.com or www.crackberry.com for news. It's likely next month when the 4.5 will appear. "Feed your Addiction my BB brother in Thumbs":twothumbs

Yapo

Enlightened
All mobile phones that ive seen that have flash seem to use LEDs that resemble mini crees emitters without domes but the later high end camera phones are using Xenon flash or 2 LEDs

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's must be referring the lame *** LED RIM put on some of their Blackberry's that passes for a camera flash. While it's mildly useful for taking pictures in the dark, it's no camera flash.

Actually, you are quite wrong in this case. This is the video light/flash in a new blackberry. It is between 10-20lumens and lights the way through a house much better than the trusty old Minimag AA incan.
2340156026_5306df2fd4.jpg

2340154908_4f187020b8.jpg

2340154790_af022c5341.jpg

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, you are quite wrong in this case. This is the video light/flash in a new blackberry. It is between 10-20lumens and lights the way through a house much better than the trusty old Minimag AA incan.
I'm not wrong. It's a sorry excuse for a camera flash. I have the same "light" in my Blackberry Curve 8310. A real camera flash emits something along the line of 10,000 lumen seconds.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stereodude, you are right.... the led in the blackberry is not an accessory shoe flash....like you would put on a slr, but it is not trying to be either. It is not a "lame ***" led though. A slr flash does not do a great job of helping you navigate in the dark, the led on some of the new phones does a more than decent job of that....because it can be constantly on.

I think for a light in a phone... it is pretty impressive.