New US 5 dollar note. What do you think?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_five-dollar_bill

I received one today as change for a 20. I have to say I like certain new features like the 2 different watermarks and the large purple 5 on the obverse.
The Lincoln portrait is larger and nicer.
I would like to see our money become more colorful (like the 20's)
I suspect these new 5's represent the latest and greatest in anti copying technology. I am guessing that it is difficult to manage a pretty note which is green and copy proof all at the same time.
The guys at the mint IMHO have done a nice job on this one. The one is next.
Yaesumofo

jugg2

Enlightened
From the wiki picture the main difference looks like the purple 5. I didn't know they were coming out with a new 5 though. If it makes it harder to counterfeit then I'm all for it!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
PURPLE!

My sister is going to love this. Purple's her favorite color. And hey, if it's harder to counterfeit, bring on the colors. :)

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
$5's are not typically reproduced illegally - the emphasis is on $20's and $50's.

I really don't care what they look like - I doubt you'll ever hear me complain.

I would just like to have more of all of them. :D

Norm

Retired Administrator

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Anything that makes our money more interesting is welcome. As for singles, instead of redesigning them they should get rid of them. That's the only way the dollar coins which the Treasury says will save big money are going to circulate. And pennies and nickels seriously need to stop being minted. They're nothing more than costly to manufacture nuisances at this point. That would free up two bins in cash registers to be used for half-dollars and dollars.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A large, purple, five?? :ironic:

Well.... perhaps it was put there to appeal to a certain segment of the American population that is very outspoken, but which makes up only 5% of the entire population.

Yeah, I just opened a can of worms. But I put a very large, and heavy rock on the lid too.

Norm

Retired Administrator
We used to have one and two cent coins but they were taken out of circulation some years ago and nobody misses them, our one dollar note was replaced by a coin in 1984 and the two note in 1988

savumaki

Enlightened
Be glad it wasn't a coin!!!!!

That's the talk here now; to replace the five with a coin. I just hope they don't go bigger than our current 'twonee', which will tear a pocket out in company with his brothers and their cousin 'loonie'.

Hope you like color.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's funny....

At one point in time, money was actually made from real precious metals. If you needed change, they'd just cut up, for example, a gold coin.

"Pieces of eight" refers to precious metal coins that were each cut up into eight smaller pieces. That's how change used to be made.

There used to be real silver in the American Silver Dollar at one point in time.... Now we have symbolic pieces of pretty-colored paper.... Backed by a nation's supply of Gold or other precious metals, that most folks never get to see.

Yeah, paper money is easier to carry around. But when I hold even a $100 bill in my hands, it feels as though it's worth quite a bit less than that.

Empath

Flashaholic
As rapidly as the designs change now, counterfeiting a design isn't necessary. It's so difficult to track the changes, people could be convinced most any design was legitimate.

That's stretching it a bit, but not by far.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As rapidly as the designs change now, counterfeiting a design isn't necessary. It's so difficult to track the changes, people could be convinced most any design was legitimate.

That's stretching it a bit, but not by far.

I remember the very first time someone handed me the redesigned $10 bill as part of my change. I looked at it for a moment, and wondered why the clerk had given me a multi-colored bill from a foreign country. I almost refused to take it.

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredible! It's no longer identical (to this ignorant foreigner, anyway) to all your other bills.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: paper money; I've got a 20 peso note here that has an actual transparent window in the bill -- I guess it is some kind of polyester..they shoulda made into a window sill and put a potted plant on it!
and
I don't know how relevant this is, but, CNI is sold out of bullion type silver coins, all of it! including the 'backdated' silver dollars I recommended a few days ago -- some smart people must have bought them out when the prices dropped a good 5 % Thur/Friday..rats. already going up again..

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
FWIW all NZ notes have a couple of transparent windows in them. I'd never thought it might be really unusual. :shrug:
Same with the Aussie notes. Check my earlier link.
There are lots of similarities between NZ and Aussie coins.
Norm

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now we have symbolic pieces of pretty-colored paper.... Backed by a nation's supply of Gold or other precious metals, that most folks never get to see.
LOL the US Dollar has not been backed by any gold reserves since 1975, when the "gold standard" was eliminated.

Ever since, the value of the "IOU" dollar has floated only on people's trust in the US Government being able to eventually pay back its debts.