Fenix L2D Q5 smooth or OP reflector?

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I am about to purchase this light and have the choice of smooth or orange peel reflector. I would prefer extra range, but does the smooth reflector offer enough extra range over the OP reflector to make it worthwhile.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am about to purchase this light and have the choice of smooth or orange peel reflector. I would prefer extra range, but does the smooth reflector offer enough extra range over the OP reflector to make it worthwhile.
The light is no thrower even with the smooth reflector, so get the OP. The beam is nicer. If you want / need a thrower, get one instead.

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
I would say the smooth reflector. My P3D RB100 is op and my L2D CE is smooth, and the L2D performs really good compared to the P3D in throw.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had them both and loved them. The beams are pretty much identical. The OP has a cree halo too but it really does not make any difference at all, they really were virtually identical.

At least my 2 were the same beamwise but the tint was slightly different and this was more significant.

If I could go back in time I would get the R100 version, many on this forum seem to prefer it although reliability issues put me off it at the time of purchase.

You can't go wrong with either and they are great flashlights!

If you are even slightly technically minded a Romisen RC-G2 mod would be better for throw as the reflector of the L2D can not be tampered with or changed easily.

Have fun!