Surefire G2L lens/reflector question

germanshepherd

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I rec'd my G2L and noticed that the lens has a slight frosted look to it..it is not 100% clear. Also my reflector is smooth and not textured. Based on the photo at surefire.com the P60L bulb shows as textured. I emailed surefire but got conflicting answers as to whether or not I should have a clear vs frosted lens and smooth vs textured reflector. Can anyone who has this model let me know if they have a clear or frosted lens and smooth vs textured reflector. My thinking is that they made the lens frosted to smooth out imperfections but it seems to cut back on the beams brightness a bit. If the reflector was textured I would not need a frosted lens. I am confused.thanks

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do a search you will find more information on this. There was a small batch of these which made it into the retail stream. The frosted G2 is not the normal clear is but there are some out there. It is not a defect. If you aren't happy with it i WOULD TAKE IT BACK OR SEND IT TO Surefire FOR REPLACMENT.
Yaesumofo

Hi, I rec'd my G2L and noticed that the lens has a slight frosted look to it..it is not 100% clear. Also my reflector is smooth and not textured. Based on the photo at surefire.com the P60L bulb shows as textured. I emailed surefire but got conflicting answers as to whether or not I should have a clear vs frosted lens and smooth vs textured reflector. Can anyone who has this model let me know if they have a clear or frosted lens and smooth vs textured reflector. My thinking is that they made the lens frosted to smooth out imperfections but it seems to cut back on the beams brightness a bit. If the reflector was textured I would not need a frosted lens. I am confused.thanks

germanshepherd

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I did do a search using G2L and did not find anything before posting this but I just searched using Surefire and frosted lenses and found some info. Nothing specific to the G2L but I do see that Surefire has different lenses for other models..some frosted and others clear. I really have no idea which is better but just want what Surefire decided to go with as I am sure it is better. I will see what what I can do with Surefire..maybe exchange bezels etc.

germanshepherd

Newly Enlightened
it seems to be difficult from what I can see..looks like its part of the whole bezel. I will see if I can swap bezels with Surefire but I will still have a smooth reflector..I am sure they frosted my lens to diffuse the beam since I have a smooth reflector. Now they are making them with textured reflector and clear lens. I have weird luck.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'd keep it and swap out the lenses for unfrosted. Your G2L will be the furthest throwing G2L there is. Don't send it back!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd keep it and swap out the lenses for unfrosted. Your G2L will be the furthest throwing G2L there is. Don't send it back!

Of course, until you get a brighter third party LED drop-in(Technically still a G2LED;))

Check this thread on how to remove the window(might be different though, G2 vs G2L).

:welcome:

germanshepherd

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the threads everyone. Surefire is sending me a new bezel with clear lens...I will still have the smooth reflector but this may be a good thing as I prefer more throw. I held up a clear window from another light and there are rings around the center spot without the frosted window but I onlt see it when on the wall..outside it looks fine. I think I will just keep it since they are sending me a clear window etc. I appreciate everyones input and links...