1xAAA gift light?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a decent light to give that a mate can EDC, something like an E0. Of course, you can't get those any more (or at least, not from fenix-store), and all the DX/KD lights I've found go balls out for output, which destroys alkies (which a non flashaholic would be bound to use).

Any ideas?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How much do you want to spend?

My best 1xAAA light is my Fenix L0D. Nearly $50, it's worth every penny.

Peak LED Solutions makes lights in various battery configurations, including AAA. Their brass-bodied lights are beautiful. Great for gift-giving. If the person getting the light isn't likely to polish it properly, a stainless steel body version might be best.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L0P if you can find one might be more reasonable than the L0D if it is a bit high priced for you and is a great little carry. I find no reason to "upgrade" to the L0D from it yet.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they're not very good mates (or you want to give them to your mate's kids), you can get these for $2.40 US each in lots of 5. They're not real bright (maybe 3 lumens like early Arc AAA), but I found mine to be surprisingly solid. It may not be the light reviewed here, but it sure looks looks the same to me.

warlord

Enlightened
Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I should have clarified. Looking to spend no more than $20, and even that is pushing it. Whiteish LED strongly preferred, but i'm more testing the water. nerdgineer, that looks like a decent idea- I'm especially liking the low power, but fairly white beam.

warlord: Everyone is saying how bright they are, so i'm a bit worried that means that the AAA cell won't last very long. However, i'm definitely leaning towards that ATM.

Last edited:

husky20

Banned
How much do you want to spend?

My best 1xAAA light is my Fenix L0D. Nearly $50, it's worth every penny.

Peak LED Solutions makes lights in various battery configurations, including AAA. Their brass-bodied lights are beautiful. Great for gift-giving. If the person getting the light isn't likely to polish it properly, a stainless steel body version might be best.
+1:thumbsup:

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
no question. The streamlight microstream. It's an excellent value. By far my favorite aaa light and the only one. I've ever EDC'ed.

--Matt

warlord

Enlightened
warlord: Everyone is saying how bright they are, so i'm a bit worried that means that the AAA cell won't last very long. However, i'm definitely leaning towards that ATM.
I'm guessing it's mostly bright because of it's optics. Lots of throw little spill hard to say without a quality review.

Another option is the SL Microstream being offered here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=176391

Bradley

D'oh! I forgot to mention that one. I was just eyeballing that earlier. Hard to go wrong with the streamlight...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Raymond

Enlightened
So with all the 1xAAA flashlights out there, no one has done a shootout yet?

in the flashlight reviews forum, there's a thread by bessiebenny with a lot of cheap lights. Including that romisen r-1a01.
If the build quality is like my rc-a3, it will make for a very nice gift.

jerry i h

Enlightened
Try http://www.opticsplanet.net/gerber-gear-80107.html. not a bad deal for a about an Alexander Hamilton.
I edc'ed it for about 3 months everyday to work and I loved it (it bailed me out of a tight spot more than once). Best of breed for 5mm keychain torches. It gave good light, and never failed. The only reason I no longer have it on my keychain is because I splurged and got a L0D for about fifty bucks.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd go for an Arc if you want something high class. If you want something cheaper I have a couple Gerber Sonics sitting in a drawer, PM me if interested.