Let solar fly

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I let slip the ropes on my solar tracker. Winter is over and the big solar wings, free of winter storms and super low sun angle, are free to follow the sun. It's a wonderful feeling the fits the renewal of spring.

And this year I'm using a new LED bulb with five 1W Crees. It has a 160 degree beam angle and puts out 300 lumens. Perfect for a desk light. The underdriven Crees should last 100,000 hours. One hour os sun on my solar panels will produce enough power to run this bulb whenever I need it for the rest of the year.

I have a new batch of heirloom potatoes and other garden veggies to go in. Plus a ton of Russian Red kale seeds from my crop last year, not to mention the volunteers popping up everywhere.

Nettles are up as well, so even a country bumpkin like me can have meals that would turn the French to envy. And the berry bushes are starting to flower.

Spring is good.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
here, I can track all winter too! ;) I only need to tie er down when the winds blow strong and steady in the 'wrong' direction..
I think change the azimuth about 2 maybe 3? times a year..

I planted a couple avocado trees.

the squirrels, which were absent all winter, (where they go?) are back, and the other day one alerted me with loud barks to a bobcat passing by..

the earth is still moist and when it warms the odor is the headiest perfume..

Dantor

Enlightened
pictures would be nice! hopefully by the summer time we'll have some solar cells for recharging our lights and things ;)

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to live in Southern California (for a summer) and really loved it. I'd go up into the San Gabriel Mts for long, cross-country hikes. Solar is pretty seasonal for me. In the winter, the sun barely scrapes along the south ridge -- and that's if the sun is out, which it usually isn't in the rain forest. The wind generator makes up for a lot of that. Still, all my flashlights get charged by solar power year round.

Here's my main solar array. Also my new light bulb with 5 Cree 1 watt LEDs.

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. The wind generator is a Whisper 600 (600 watts at 25mph). The company has since been sold to Southwest. I went with the two-blade design because it it more efficient in slower winds, although less well balanced than the three-blade impellers.

The bulb is not a flashlight. It's an AC light bulb with 5 1W Cree LEDs. It puts out 300 lumens in a 165-degree cone, while using only 5.6 watts of power. I prefer the AC LEDs for light bulbs because the DC models are ususally voltage-regulated with resistors. That approach doesn't work with solar systems which, on a 12 V system, vary from 12.0 to 14.8 V. The extra current just frys the LEDs. The Crees in this bulb are underdriven and rated for 100,000 hours. The light is very white -- about 6000K.

It cost $52 at Ledwholesalers.com

Dantor

Enlightened
Very nice Josey! thx for sharing. Hopefully this time next year I'll be posting similar shots.

Could you use a battery to store your solar energy and then use that to recharge DC/LED stuff?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Dantor.

Sure, you can use a battery to store solar power. I have a bank of 8 Trojan L16 lead acid batteries that together hold about 3,600Ah at 12V. I charge all my lights from this bank. I'm about 7 miles off the grid.

I think Tedtheled uses AGM batteries, which are better and would be better for small recharging jobs. I use the lead acid because I need a lot of storage for the house and they are a lot cheaper than AGM.

Morningstar has a nice little full sine wave inverter for $300 or less that would go perfectly with your system. You can get the cheap modified sine wave inverters from discount stores, but they waste a lot of power and the quality of that AC is so poor that it can damage some equipment.

Josey

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! Thought about a tracking system, settled for a 5kW Sharp 208 roof mount system to an SMA Sunny Boy. May go with a 2.5kW tracking system later on down the road to satisfy 100% of our household requirements.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk about light footprint on the planet. Nice, Josey. Is there a stream behind and to the right of the home? Your fence tells me there are deer in the area. Looks like a peaceful setting.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys. The fence is to keep my dogs in and the cougars out. There is a little salmon river next to the cabin. A couple steelhead had a huge redd going. I think they got their spawning done because the pot is over a foot deep and they plowed up about 10 feet of gravel. An eagle got one of them and has been sitting in a big alder, going down for lunch every so often.

I've got about 3/4 of a mile of river front -- the last piece of private land where there isn't much private land. It's part of an old ghost city that nobody wanted at the time because it was so far from anywhere and didn't have power. I got it for $15,000. I put the land -- all of it -- into a conservation easement so the trees can grow back and never be cut. No pesticides can ever be used, even by the people who follow me. No more development, except for a small organic garden. Only clean energy. It's state-owned old growth across the river and upstream -- mostly cedar and hemlock and spruce and big leaf maple and some Doug fir about 100 years old. Alder along the river. You can shout in that wood and the moss just sucks up the sound like you never said anything. Elk come though once in a while. I've been working with the local tribe and we've put about a million pounds of logs in the stream to help salmon and steelhead, and we've cleared logging culverts so salmon can get farther upstream.

But now the county commissioners and some shooters have come along and plan to put a giant shooting range in the wetlands at the headwaters where most of the juvenile salmon are reared. All the local ranges that have been tested have polluted the ground and water with lead and arsenic and copper and various carcinogens, so we have to fight that range. But the sad thing about rural counties rich in natural resources is that the politicians are corrupt.

Still, it's nice to have saved a small piece of ground and a little piece of river. Nice to see the salmon return. Nice to work with the native people. Nice to see the occasional black bear or cougar. Me and the bears share a taste for tofu. I leave it in the river to stay cold. Nothing else will eat it, not even the racoons. Just me and the bears. Nice to see the solar tracker turn to face the morning sun -- that doesn't happen until spring. I can watch it turn while having morning coffee, like some big bird getting ready for flight. And at night, I can hear the steelhead splashing about spawning.

I have a microphone set up on the river so I can hear what goes on in the woods. I was up late a couple years ago, just after midnight. I heard a tap..splash...tap...splash then a funny sound, kind of a cry like I'd never heard before. Then the cry got louder. I've got my ear in the speaker straining to figure out what it is. Then I hear it clearly: "Help." I run outside and a beautiful woman, soaking wet, is climbing out of the river, with her blonde hair tangles and water pouring off her and her wet clothes clinging. I think I said, "Howdy," but I may have just started like a braindead idiot. She was a state wildlife tech doing research upstream when she got lost. All she could do was follow the river downstream. But we had all the wood in the stream for salmon and there was no moon. And her hip had a double-joint to it, and it would lock up every so often and she'd fall into the river.

She'd get to worring about bears and cougars and so she'd sing. Then she'd get to worrying that her singing was attracting the bears and cougars and she'd walk as quietly as a ghost, just the tapping of her staff and the splash of her boots. Then she was sure they were watching her, so she'd start singing again.

She walked the river -- and this is tough, hard ground -- for about 7 hours before she saw my one little LED light. Made her pretty happy.

I do like living here.

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

Last edited:

Dantor

Enlightened
man Josey, if you not making that whole thing up your about the luckiest guy in the world!

my smoke and best wishes for your efforts to keep it clean and beautiful bro...

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josey: Which make/model tracking system did you go with and which panels and at what wattage per panel?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys. I'm not making it up. When I hit this place, I stuck like glue.

The panels are 10 Uni-solar 64-watt thin film. They're not necessarily what I'd recommend, but I got a deal on them as a group and they take occasional shading better than more powerful panels. I also have some Sieman 75-watt single crystal and Kyocera multi-crystal panels tucked away in small sunny spots. The Dept. of Ecology has a flow-monitoring station just back of my cabin. It's hooked to the grid so their data can be downloaded by satellite. They were having to change out their heavy batteries a lot, so I helped them put up a small solar panel. Now they never need to change batteries.

The tracker you see is a Zomeworks passive. Warmth from the sun heats up fluids in a couple of pipes that are like outriggers on each side of the tracker. The fluid flows back and forth between the outriggers, changing the weight distribution and keeping the panels pointed at the sun.