Old Inova X1's anywhere?

camdz

Newly Enlightened
Im unsure of how to tell the differences (when browsing online) between the old "blue" spotlight version vs the newer "green" ones being sold at Target. I finally broke down and picked one up since they are on clearance at my local Target for $13, but its clearly the newer one. Not much spot at all and very greenish. Is there anywhere I can pick up the older version? Or maybe even someone that wants to trade on here? I love the look/feel/durability/run time etc..but liked the idea of having the distinct spot for certain tasks. I have other AA lights that will light up a whole room.

THE PUNISHER

Newly Enlightened
The x1 iz my fav,i have three got em from the snap on tool trucks,these are old school the ones he was now are x 2's.......:shrug:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are actually three versions of the Inova X1.

This review shows gen. 1 and gen. 2. (The "spotlight" version is gen. 1 and is probably hard to find.) There has been a gen. 3 for the past year or so, with a different kind of LED in a deep reflector.

In general, the opinion here on CPF is that gen. 2 was a major improvement, but gen. 3 is a step backwards due to flaky regulation and short battery life.

camdz

Newly Enlightened
There are actually three versions of the Inova X1.

This review shows gen. 1 and gen. 2. (The "spotlight" version is gen. 1 and is probably hard to find.) There has been a gen. 3 for the past year or so, with a different kind of LED in a deep reflector.

In general, the opinion here on CPF is that gen. 2 was a major improvement, but gen. 3 is a step backwards due to flaky regulation and short battery life.
I knew there was 3 but wasnt sure when they switched to the more floody version. I wish I could track down a gen 1 if thats the only true "spotlight". Maybe one will pop up at some time.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew there was 3 but wasnt sure when they switched to the more floody version. I wish I could track down a gen 1 if thats the only true "spotlight". Maybe one will pop up at some time.

I have all three and can confirm that version 2 is the one I like better.

If you want an X1 not of the current production the easiest way is to put up a WTB here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?f=65

:wave:

camdz

Newly Enlightened
I have all three and can confirm that version 2 is the one I like better.

If you want an X1 not of the current production the easiest way is to put up a WTB here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?f=65

:wave:
whats better about it? Im sure it will be even harder to track down something in between haha. The one I have is a step down in brightness in comparison to my other AA lights, but I keep telling myself to appreciate it for what it is. I dont want all my lights to have the same use. I need some that run forever, or be a spotlight ONLY, some just for throw, etc. So far I have just been picking out the brightest flashlights in each battery form. I love the x1 so far though, so Im on a mission to get the other generations.

edit- What can I look for on the gen 1 packaging? I have found a few on ebay that clearly arent the 3rd gen. Which say they project a clear circular 65' beam? The one I picked up at target claims 100'.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats better about it?

Version 1's beam is a very tight spot that is good just for some special applications.
Ver. 2 puts out a wide beam with a reasonable amount of light and a more than reasonable runtime.
Ver. 3 shows a greenish beam full of artifacts and rings and its runtime is below average.

Now you choose the one you like better.....:grin2:

BTW for your easy reference these are the three packages so you can tell one from the other:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use my x1.v1. I love it for what it does. I use it as a pointer, and not to illuminate everything.

camdz

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the pic of each package. I took the chance with what I found on ebay knowing it was either gen 1 or 2. Im sure I will be happy with either. It looks more like your first packaging but doesnt match any of them exactly.

I appreciate all the replies :thumbsup:

LightGrunt0311

Newly Enlightened
Fry's Electronics in Palo Alto, Mountain View, & San Jose CA has so many old X1s it's not even funny. Fry's is the WORST place to buy new flashies!

Latest posts