Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New P60 Cree R2 drop-in from DX for 6P.

Default New P60 Cree R2 drop-in from DX for 6P.

It's the new arrival for 3/22/08

Width: 26.5mm
    Height: 29mm (without the included support spring)
    Output: 117~225 Lumens (manufacturer rated)
    Input Voltage Range: 3.7V~18V
    Last edited by TDKKP; 03-23-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Flashaholic

Smile Re: Is this new Cree R2 drop-in from DX is for 6P?

I suppose it's real R2 bin, because it's more expensive than the same Q5 dropin ($15.50 vs $13.00)
    Romisen RC-F4 Q5, RC-G2 Q5, Solarforce L2 11074 drop-in, Surefire M2 SKU 11074 drop-in, E2e, Milkyspit KL1 SSCP4 USWOH 700mA McR18, 8AX, Fenix L1P SSC P4 USWOH Millermods 500mA driver, L2P, Millermods Mag 2D Tri-Lux UWOJ 9w

Default Re: Is this new Cree R2 drop-in from DX is for 6P?

Why 117-225 lumens?

this solarforce says 295 lumens... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solarforce-R2-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by Volny View Post
    Why 117-225 lumens?

this solarforce says 295 lumens... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solarforce-R2-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Those are special. There are 295 Whos in the R2 holding up 1 lumen leds.

Flashaholic*

Why 117-225 lumens?

Lumens ratings from manufactures are highly subjective and I really don't think anybody should take them seriously. I liken them to foofoos or teraquads.
    ampdude

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TDKKP View Post
    It's the new arrival for 3/22/08

Width: 26.5mm
    Height: 29mm (without the included support spring)
    Output: 117~225 Lumens (manufacturer rated)
    Input Voltage Range: 3.7V~18V

Is it 18V for full brightness?

I don't see why any drop-in should be designed to take more than 9V, but that's just me.
    ampdude

Why 117-225 lumens?

Maybe it's only driven at 700 mah to give longer runtime. I ordered one last night, so in a couple of weeks I'll post my opinions on it.

Still no answer for my question yet? I got the feeling the answer is "yes" it will fit in 6P.

And I think this is at least 2 modes, 117-225 lumens, instead of just one. It might be a 5 modes like the one in Q5 just released few days ago.

Based on the P60 drop-in thread and some other this is a P60 drop-in. I just ordered one to compare with 6090 that about 50% cheaper. Just want to know how many modes of this one?

Flashaholic

Default Re: New P60 Cree R2 drop-in from DX for 6P.

Cree R2 Drop-In 1-Mode LED Module (3.7V~18V / 26.5mm x 29mm)
    says 1 mode in the discription i would assume 18v produces 225 lumins and 3,7v would produce 117 lumins

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    No, it's a current regulated output, as long as there are enough volts, which is about 5V, depending on what the output current is set to.

I don't see why any drop-in should be designed to take more than 9V, but that's just me.
    It's based on the PT4105 regulator chip, which has that input voltage range. That makes it quite handy for automotive use, and it occurs to me that a couple of rectangular 9V batteries in series might power it quite nicely, since the higher the input voltage the less input current is drawn.

Disclaimer: The above are just assumptions. Actually, I have no idea why the lumen range is specified.
    Last edited by TorchBoy; 03-23-2008 at 05:15 PM.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

Wolf359 and TorchBoy have thoroughly confused me now. How many lumens would you expect from this drop-in if run from an 18650? If it's towards the 117 lumens quoted then that seems pretty disappointing.

There's no indication it's multimode, and the input voltage range strongly implies it has a similar driver to 6090. What output current it's actually set to...

http://www.cutter.com.au/prodimages/xrerdmap.gif says the R2 has a minimum flux of 114 lm at 350 mA. I can only guess what the R2 might do at 1 amp (>240 lumens is that guess, FWIW).
    Ian.

Wolf359 said:
    Cree R2 Drop-In 1-Mode LED Module (3.7V~18V / 26.5mm x 29mm)
    says 1 mode in the discription i would assume 18v produces 225 lumins and 3,7v would produce 117 lumins
    TorchBoy said:
    Quote Originally Posted by TorchBoy View Post
    There's no indication it's multimode, and the input voltage range strongly implies it has a similar driver to 6090. What output current it's actually set to...

http://www.cutter.com.au/prodimages/xrerdmap.gif says the R2 has a minimum flux of 114 lm at 350 mA. I can only guess what the R2 might do at 1 amp (>240 lumens is that guess, FWIW).
    qtaco said:
    Wolf359 and TorchBoy have thoroughly confused me now. How many lumens would you expect from this drop-in if run from an 18650? If it's towards the 117 lumens quoted then that seems pretty disappointing.

I hope they're wrong too. If not it's very tough to get 18V for max 225 lumens: 5 of 18650/17670/RCR123A, ...

Quote Originally Posted by qtaco View Post
    How many lumens would you expect from this drop-in if run from an 18650? If it's towards the 117 lumens quoted then that seems pretty disappointing.
    Not that many, if it's at all similar to Drewfus' test for what I'm guessing is the P4 version. With a single fully charged 18650 you might get about 120 lumens, because the board wouldn't have enough volts to have a fully regulated 1 amp output.

Quote Originally Posted by TDKKP View Post
    I hope they're wrong too. If not it's very tough to get 18V for max 225 lumens: 5 of 18650/17670/RCR123A, ...
    Um... but... if I'm right you don't need 18 volts for full 1 amp goodness (if it's actually set to that).
    Ian.

I also ordered one of these a few days ago, and I'll be running the full spectrum of tests on it when it shows up. Based on the short description, I'd say it uses the same driver board as the DX 6090.

As you can see in my thread, I don't believe that it will be any brighter at 18V than at 6V. Right around the 6V area the power out numbers seem to level out. That matches my experience from other current regulated boards as well. You can also see that the power in numbers level out as well. You can up the voltage but that just means that the current going in drops giving you longer run time but keeping the power going in the same.

If I can find the time this week, I'll pull this piece out of my 6P and wire it back up and run this same test back up to 18V and see what it looks like.

For this R2 drop-in I will definitely run it up to 18V when I test it just so there are no questions.
    over size sig image removed

A p90 body takes 3 cells
    3x 4,2 ( fully loaded rechargeable) =12,6 volt

Flashaholic*

Popcorn Re: Is this new Cree R2 drop-in from DX is for 6P?

Quote Originally Posted by Isthereanybodyoutthere View Post
    A p90 body takes 3 cells
    3x 4,2 ( fully loaded rechargeable) =12,6 volt
    Two 17500's have more capacity than three RCR's. And three primaries are 9V. To get to 12V on primaries you're looking at a 4 cell body length. So you'll have to use an extender. I don't see your point.

I'm planning on running my Solarforce R2 in a Sure-Fire C3 with three RCR's, since the max voltage for that one is 12.6V and it is reportedly brighter at 12V than 9V.. Right now I just have two RCR's and a spacer in there.
    Last edited by ampdude; 03-25-2008 at 01:48 AM.
    ampdude

I finally found this thread, I searched last night but no results.

I got it yesterday and did play with it a little:

- I tried it with 2 x RCR123, 3 x RCR123 and 4 x RCR123 with no different in brightness to my eyes compared to Malkoff Q5 High Output MN60 in 6P.
    - The color tint is warm and very similar to the MN60.
    - The hot spot is smaller and throw a little better.

So I think it's regulated with only 1 output at about 200 lumens. I don't have anything to measure, just my eyes between Malkoff MN60 rated at 235 lumens (I trust this rating) and this R2 drop-in.

And it has only 1 mode because when trying with Cablelas tail cap it didn't change at all.

thanks for sharing, I can't wait for mine. If its close to an M60 (in any way at all) on 2 RCR123s, thats a step in the right direction from my current setup.

CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Flashaholic*

Got mine this afternoon. It's very bright with 2X16340, but the tint on mine is on the cool side of white.

With 2x RCR123A, it pulls in about 600mA. It is brighter than my RC-F4 which is being run with 17670. It has bigger and brighter hotspot but it is running on two Lithiums vs F4 on one Lithium. Mine went in UltraFire 501B light which was originally incandescent. The incandescent will burn my hand if I bring the beam closer to my palm; it pulled in 1300mA. Given that it is difficult to do back to back comparison, my guessitmate is that the R2 drop-in is about the same brightness as the original incandescent but at only half the current.

Mine has slightly warmer tint. I tried with 3x RCR123A. Birghtness does NOT change but input current drops substantially. It is true constant current to emitter type circuit and not an inefficient LDO type regulator. My sample is not as tightly focused as it could have been, so I don't think this is going to be a great thrower.

- Vikas
    Last edited by Vikas Sontakke; 04-03-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bspofford View Post
    Got mine this afternoon. It's very bright with 2X16340, but the tint on mine is on the cool side of white.
    Hi bspofford,

Since you got your DX R2 drop-in, how bright is it compared to other Cree LED lights or drop-ins that you have?

Do you think that the output of this R2 drop-in is really over 200 lumens as described in DX webpage?

I will appreciate it very much if you can tell us more about the brightness and runtime of this R2 drop-in using 2xRCR123(8.4V).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by phantom; 04-03-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Is the output of this R2 drop-in over 200 lumens?

What current is the LED running at?
    Ian.

The full output probably is about 200 lumens but certainly no where near 300 range. With 2x RCR123A (about 8.2V) the battery current was 0.6A, approxmiately 5.0W of input. Assuming worst case efficiency of 65%, 3.2W is being delivered to the LED. Under those assumptions, the LED current is under 1A. But if the efficiency is higher, then the current could be higher.

- Vikas

Flashaholic*

I didn't have much time last night but did some side-by-side comparisons with other P60 modules. I acutally have several of each module but only tested one of each. My subjective impression is that the one-mode R2 (3-18V) from DX has a similar brightness to one-mode Q5 (3-18V) from DX, and both are similar to the slightly warmer 0-100% "3-mode" Q5 module on high. Mev at LightReviews measured this multimode module on high to be as bright as a Fenix T1 on high. Both the one-mode DX modules are cooler and noticeably brighter than the Solarforce R2 run on 2X16340. The Solarforce R2 has similar brightness when run on 3X16340 (12.6V) and remains warmer. Both the DX modules have similar brightness to my DereeLight 3SD on high. I also received some TrustFire T1 lights in this shipment from DX, and the light now comes with the same one-mode Q5 sold separately. I took the R2 with its P60-size OP reflector outside and was surprised that it throws quite well. I plan to do some more objective testing, but I am certain that this is a GREAT VALUE. It seems to be an even greater value at KD where the price is about $3 less. Put this in a $17 RC-M4 at a total cost of $30 and WOW!!!
    Last edited by bspofford; 04-04-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bspofford View Post
    I didn't have much time last night but did some side-by-side comparisons with other P60 modules. I acutally have several of each module but only tested one of each. My subjective impression is that the one-mode R2 (3-18V) from DX has a similar brightness to one-mode Q5 (3-18V) from DX, and both are similar to the slightly warmer 0-100% "3-mode" Q5 module on high. Mev at LightReviews measured this multimode module on high to be as bright as a Fenix T1 on high. Both the one-mode DX modules are cooler and noticeably brighter than the Solarforce R2 run on 2X16340. The Solarforce R2 has similar brightness when run on 3X16340 (12.6V) and remains warmer. Both the DX modules have similar brightness to my DereeLight 3SD on high. I also received some TrustFire T1 lights in this shipment from DX, and the light now comes with the same one-mode Q5 sold separately. I took the R2 with its P60-size OP reflector outside and was surprised that it throws quite well. I plan to do some more objective testing, but I am certain that this is a GREAT VALUE. It seems to be an even greater value at KD where the price is about $3 less. Put this in a $17 RC-M4 at a total cost of $30 and WOW!!!
    Does the DX R2 drop in run very warm?... compared to your other modules? That (for me) was the biggest shocker with the DX6090... it heats up my entire 6P from bezel to tail cap.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

The question is:-

Can you notice the difference between original RC-M4 and RC-M4 with the R2 drop-in if the comparison were NOT done side by side?

- Vikas

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Does the DX R2 drop in run very warm?... compared to your other modules? That (for me) was the biggest shocker with the DX6090... it heats up my entire 6P from bezel to tail cap.
    Does DX6090 have LDO type of regulator? If so, that will explain why it gets so hot.

- Vikas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast