r100 or r2 for color rendition

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to which is better for color rendition rebel r100 or cree r2. I will be using this light primarily outdoors so color rendition would be important (that and I hate looking at things in washed out blue).

Also, does anyone know any good r100 lights in a 18650 size?

and finally, when are the new rebels due out?

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
both are good outdoor colour rendition.
i have both Fenix RB100 and Dereelight R2 DI.
I have tested both on wet condition during heavy rain & after rain and to my surprise both pass the test.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Out of the two, the Rebel seems to have the warmer color and some say it has better color rendering. The Lumapower M1R uses a Rebel. I don't remember anymore 18650 powered Rebel 100 lights.

A Cree R2 with the right bin could also work.

AvidHiker

Enlightened
If you ask me, interms of CRI, we haven't gotten very far beyond the good bin early Luxeons (Lux III, V) with the most recent offerings. Probably a bit more consistent binning, but ALL white LEDs these days are lacking to some degree as the base phosphor material remains unchanged (I believe). However, "washed out blue" sounds like a thing of the past to me - I've been collecting lights for the past 3 years and have yet to find one that bad (imo).

I've heard the most positive things about the rebels and K2s recently. Also, bear in mind that you're quoting the most recent bins in terms of efficiency, not color.

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
The washed out blue was from a seoul emitter i bought from DX. Everything looked terrible. maybe mine was a bad one, but its the only experience Ive had with any of the newer emitters.

I may hold out for the rumored 18650 light from fenix. Although its gonna be a big price jump from the DX lights i'm used to. Is the quality really worth 2-3x the price? Any updates on when this is coming out?

Also, are there any p6 drop ins that have the rebel 100? Or any place where I can buy a rebel 100 star?

Enlightened
The Rebel seems to be somewhat hit or miss. My Fenix P3D RB100 is a BEAUTIFUL full spectrum neutral color, by FAR the best LED I've ever seen. My two P2D RB100s, however, were rather somewhat more blue and not nearly as neutral, though still probably better than most.