Coleman Graphite

Saaby

Flashaholic
I said something sometime ago somewhere (Confused yet?) about some Coleman lights made of some fancy metal. It wasn't a metal, it was graphite...what do you think? Guess it wouldn't dissipate heat as well as metal but you can't deny the fact that a graphite flashlight is very cool. Had them in a combo pack at Wal-Mart for like $15. It was a larger one like a 2D or 2C and a smaller one, probably 2AA

Luff

Enlightened
I used mine for a mod with a Luxeon with optics. The 2AA light worked well with a LS/o and a DC-DC step-up inside. Only problem was having to limit the converter to avoid overheating. Best I could do with the LS/o I used was at 370 ma. Anything higher and I was uncomfortable with the heat buildup.

Good looking light and durable case, but not all that great for mods. Reverted the 2AA to incandescent, stuck in lithiums and now both lights serve as backups in vehicles.

r2

Enlightened
I saw those at Walmart just this evening. The graphite thing does seem pretty cool, but they also seemed like big, clunky flashlights overall. Why do so many makers go crazy with knobs and rings around the lights that just serve to make them unwieldy?

I guess I just like small and solid feeling lights. Maglites are nice that way, although the heads are big and they are longer than they need to be. The Arc LS 2AA is a beautiful light which other 2AA lights should imitate. It's shorter than the Brinkman Legend 2AA or Minimag and its simple 2-piece design makes waterproofing possible (I realize there are some issues that Peter is still working out with the lens seal).

I'm sometimes tempted to pick up a Dorcy or Coleman or Garrity or one of the other cheap brands, but then I see them and I'm put off by the clunky look. I guess all the rubber protects the bulb from shock and they are supposed to look tough with all those knobs, but they just look goofy to me.

Okay, I'm not sure where that rant came from, but I'll stop now.

- Russ

[edit: I didn't actually look at the 2AA light, mostly at the 2D light, and I might be confusing it with a different one that I looked at. Ignore me if I seem completely off.]

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Saaby,
I think you bring up an interesting point on graphite. I have heard that graphite and carbon fiber are super conductors. I believe that it is concieveable that a graphite/ synthetic polymer mix might indeed be a good candidate for the dissipation of heat. I have tried to do a bit of research on this but get lost with the various units of measure of thermal resistance. I have fantisized a cool carbon fiber flashlight that would be strong, light and friendly to heat generators.

- Don

- Don

DaveH

Enlightened
"Graphite" is just a trade name, like "two scoops of raisins". I really don't think it's graphite.

Empath

Flashaholic
The product description at Coleman's website does use the term "graphite" as more than a brand name or trademark. It describes the housing as being composite graphite. It feels like plastic when it's handled, but does have an interesting appearance.

Functionally, the AA is a nice little PR based light that outperforms most of the little T1 AA lights around.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my understanding that graphite composites are basically plastic reinforced with graphite fibers. Tougher laptop cases and other electronics are made this way.

In the mid '80's this was typically an aerospace material. I think it's widely used today.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know if you get a good knife with graphite handles, you'll pay dearly for it. I guess if you make something a "graphite composite", you're pretty well cleared. 1 part graphite to 1000 parts plastic.
rolleyes.gif
TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, on close inspection the fabric overlay appears to be merely "window dressing" for marketing purposes, instead of lending any real structural value to the body. The tailcap switch is nice; even though the design is spoiled by the CLUNCKY BEZEL IMHO. Not bad for a utility light.