LOD is being Screwy..?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there was someone who posted about this..but i cant remember where and what the thread title was, but in my recently aquired LOD, im having the same problem.

The twistie requires alot of force to make the connection. As in, you screw it in to the point where its tight, but it wont light. It will only light is you screw past that,which is somewhat hard to do, especially with one hand, or maybe greasy hands....

This is somewhat of a concern to me, as i like my lights to turn on exactly when i want them to. I do remember that my old LOD did not have this problem. Change in the manufacturing process maybe?

anyone else have this problem too?

Of course most of you will know that i love fenix lights, so in no way is this a trolling thread against fenix..that would be the last thing i do..:eek:

EDIT: yes i have cleaned the contacts and lubed the thing..im beginning to suspect that the threads dont go down far enough, that its hard to make the contact....:thinking:

EDIT: I now very much suspect that the PCB is to farr inside the head, so that its not making proper contact with the body. A paperclip shaped into a circle and put on the contact place, made it perform reliably, but i really dont want there to be a paperclip invloved in the first place..:thinking:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
A solder ring might be a more permanent solution. Or, explain issue with your dealer and request swap for a new light.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i already PMed matt, but thing is, this IS a replaced light, for DOA one..so i dont wanna have to go another 1 week without it..

also, i want to try a solder ring, but the PCB isnt exactly easy to reach..:ohgeez:

Crenshaw

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there was someone who posted about this..but i cant remember where and what the thread title was, but in my recently aquired LOD, im having the same problem.

The twistie requires alot of force to make the connection. As in, you screw it in to the point where its tight, but it wont light. It will only light is you screw past that,which is somewhat hard to do, especially with one hand, or maybe greasy hands....

This is somewhat of a concern to me, as i like my lights to turn on exactly when i want them to. I do remember that my old LOD did not have this problem. Change in the manufacturing process maybe?

anyone else have this problem too?

Of course most of you will know that i love fenix lights, so in no way is this a trolling thread against fenix..that would be the last thing i do..:eek:

EDIT: yes i have cleaned the contacts and lubed the thing..im beginning to suspect that the threads dont go down far enough, that its hard to make the contact....:thinking:

EDIT: I now very much suspect that the PCB is to farr inside the head, so that its not making proper contact with the body. A paperclip shaped into a circle and put on the contact place, made it perform reliably, but i really dont want there to be a paperclip invloved in the first place..:thinking:

Crenshaw

You are partially correct with the last EDIT. However a paper clip is probably not needed. I have had this problem with an L0D-xx 3-4 times now, maybe more. The problem was always the same. The manufacturing process allowed too much epoxy inside the head which is used to ensure that the LED + electronics pill inside the head stayed put. The epoxy overflowed onto the surface of the PCB contact ring and prevents the top edge of the body from contacting the circuit board. The answer is to _carefully_ carve away the epoxy. A long thin knife blade is desired, or any equivalent. just repeatedly carve really thin slices from the epoxy surface, or just abrade the epoxy surface. Do not try to cut thru the epoxy to the PCB with the first swipe, which could be done, but then the PCB contact surface will be scored. After that, all of my L0D units have worked smoothly w/o force and I believe as intended.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm, but i dont see any epoxy on the PCB....its the white stuff right? its only round the very edges, not really on the PCB at all...but maybe the contact is right at the edge..ill have to go and try that out, thanks..!

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
omg, moldy! perfect! it works great now...thank you!

thank you to my leatherman P4 and NDI on low too..:twothumbs:

Crenshaw

Last edited: