Best ad on clicky for mini-mag

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
I have a few mini-mags kicking around I need to ad switches to on the tail. I bought a couple Terraluxe, mone is great and the other died right out of the package (obviously a defect, not bashing terraluxe)

If anyone knows some AA mini-mag switches that are almost bullet proof I would love to know.

Thanks

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've had zero issues with the handful of Nite-Ize switches that I use on a few of my 2AA Mini-mags. (I don't mean their I.Q. switch. I mean the ones with small black buttons).

One of the aftermarket switches is not a perfect fit. But all the others are. I've heard a few CPFers having problems with their Nite-Ize switches. Mine have been completely reliable.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well a terralux switch sees hard use on the minimag of a parashootist friend of mine for more than a year now...

jugg2

Enlightened
I had one Nite-Ize switch (not the IQ), and it broke within two months of having it. I may have just got a bad one though.

generic808

Enlightened
I've had the NiteIze IQ for quite some time with no probs whatsoever. The multi mode feature is great, and so is the "find-in-the-dark" light.

GPB

Enlightened
I really like the Nite Ize IQ switch. I've had mine for 6 months or so, and use it every night puttering about the house, checking the kids, etc. I like the power level options ( high, med, low ) and not having to refocus the beam every time I turn it on. Sometimes the reduced power level strobe effect is a nuisance, but those times are rare enough that it's almost not worth mentioning.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been quite impressed with the terralux on my minimag. Very solid clicky action and a nice o-ring seal with actual metal threads. I've heard some good things about the kroll switch, but something about those plastic threads makes me uneasy.

Marduke

Flashaholic
About 6 months of light duty, but steady use of an IQ switch on mine. No issue thus far, lights up on every click, not a missed one yet.

knightrider

Enlightened
Had the non-IQ NiteIze one. It did not work very well at all and seemed shoddy. I was not happy with it and it went in a drawer. The kroll switch I had on a custom light was great. Wanted to try the IQ one but never got around to it.

e2x2e

Enlightened
I have two Nite-ize ones, NOT the IQ switch, the regular one, and they work ok. No problems yet.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had anybody locked their bezel in place, either permanantly or temporary? I've thought about doing it on my smjled w/ terralux, but don't want it locked so much as very turn resistant. Maybe teflon tape?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Had anybody locked their bezel in place, either permanantly or temporary? I've thought about doing it on my smjled w/ terralux, but don't want it locked so much as very turn resistant. Maybe teflon tape?

I have. I have a blue MiniMag with the NiteIze 1 watt dropin. However, I totally removed the reflector so the IQ switch is the only on/off switch for the light now. It gives a beautiful flood for around-the-house use, especially close up work.

Once you remove the reflector, the head screws down to bring the LED surprisingly close to the lens, reducing the losses on the sides of the head.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

I do on my Minimags that I use Krolls on. I just use a fatter oring so the head is very hard to turn. I hate the stock oring, head is too loose for my liking.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I've been quite impressed with the terralux on my minimag. Very solid clicky action and a nice o-ring seal with actual metal threads. I've heard some good things about the kroll switch, but something about those plastic threads makes me uneasy.

I haven't tried this one yet. Is the terralux clicky a foward or reverse? The specs mentions something about a flicker mode. Does it really have a strobe option or is that what they call the momentary function?

I've use only krolls & still have not found anything I like better. The plastics threads have never given me problems.

I've got the old Nite-Iz switch & I think it's junk. I hate tail switches where you can barely feel the click. The IQ won't give you full power when using sandwiches & it doesn't work correctly when using Li-ions.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a reverse click, but I love the feel; extremely solid click action.

Alero

Enlightened
I have half a dozen IQ switches laying around. I keep one on one minimag and I used epoxy on the head to keep it focused and in place. Having to push the switch and then remember to unscrew the head and focus it was very annoying.
If I do it again though, I'll probably just use locktite 242 in case I ever want to get the head off again. :)

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, locktite isn't a bad idea at all, seeing as that its more of a polymer than an adhesive.

Latest posts