G2 with P60L...

exoduster18

Newly Enlightened
I had seen one here previsously about the Surfire G2s having heatsinking problems with the LEDs. This being the reason why the black and yellow models of the G2 having the aluminum bezels. What exactly is the problem with the Nitrolon? And are the P60L assemblies that are being sold able to be used in the standard G2?

The reason that I ask all of this is that my girlfriend is in the National Gaurd and she doesn't have a good flashlight. I was going to give her my Olive Drab G2 and upgrade with the P60L assembly. I wanted to do this to give a tactical level lumens output with an extended runtime. Am I able to drop the P60L into the standard G2 without any adverse effects? Thanks everyone!!

dougie

Enlightened
AFAIK there isn't an issue with the P60L's which were sold with the all Nitrolon G2's. The consensus of a number of respected members of CPF was that the change to an alloy bezel was to prevent the thermal sensor kicking in early in when in a Nitrolon bezel and lowering the output below an acceptable level.

As I've not seen any reports of any P60L failures on CPF (or elsewhere) I've no reason to doubt that the P60L will work without damage in a nitrolon bezel.

Doug

exoduster18

Newly Enlightened
So if this LED Assembly get hot....It is automatically set so that it will reduce output to a safe level to help with the dissapation of heat? How low of a lumens out put are we talking?

BigD64

Enlightened
You will get more and longer light out of the G2 with the P60L. You may be shortening the life of the LED. And you will shorten the full brightness runtime due to heat retention. You will still run longer and brighter than an incandescent. Give her the G2 with the P60L. If you really want to be nice get her a Malkoff M60 Dropin.

exoduster18

Newly Enlightened
So I'm looking at a decreasing the overall life of the LED in the P60L Assembly...and taking a hit in the runtime at the full strength of the 80 Lumens. But overall I'm still beating the output and the runtime of the standard incandescent P60. Sold. She's getting the G2 with the P60L Upgrade.

And I'd rather she had the 6P....but they don't come in OD. Per her dress regulations with her ACUs...she would have to have it in OD Green. So that's the reason for the G2. That and it stops me from having to buy a new Surefire. I'd love to.....but I don't have the money for a new light right now. So that's where I sit. Thanks for all of the input.

It still seems, that even with all of the issues, the G2 with P60L is the better way to go.

USM0083

Enlightened
A G2L will run longer than a 6PL because the 6PL has better heatsinking and will run at a higher output longer.

The G2L will throttle down to a lower output sooner (around 60 lumens IIRC) so the total runtime is longer.