Inova T series vs Surefire

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
I have both a Surefire 6P and 9P. Would I be wasting my money on Inova, which of the "t" series would you buy and why. Also are they all new release now or do I have to watch for old models?

Thanks as always :twothumbs

generic808

Enlightened
Why mess with a good thing? The 6P and 9P are classics which can be upgraded in every which way possible: Surefire Legos. Why not just try to get a Malkoff drop-in for them?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll have to watch for old models. My local FFL still has a 2nd-gen 2007 T2 in their case; Inova is known for great build quality, and a 'wooden round' design concept - but generally great quality, ease of use, brightness, especially their regulation, etc. I've owned and carried two - an X5v1, and an XO1.4. My mother got a 5.4 watt TIROS XO3 for her birthday, and it throws like nothing else. She's been nothing but pleased with hers, and I still keep mine on my nightstand. You'll find it hard to be disappointed, if you know what you're getting.

Most of the Surefire 6P dropins can be had brighter - the Ebay R2s top out at 295 lumens on three cells and cruise at 240 on two; Malkoffs are 235 lumens the way Surefire rates lumens. The Inova T5 tops out the lineup at 200 lumens. If the Inovas are bright enough for you, there is nothing else to limit their appeal. Following is the information on all models' and all generations' runtime and brightness.

From Inova's brochure describing their older, TIROS version tactical lights:

• TIROS T1: 35 lumens, 1.5 hours
• TIROS T2: 40 lumens, 5 hours
• TIROS T3: 85 lumens, 2 hours
• TIROS T4: 100 lumens, 2 hours

• T1-WB 85 lumens, 1.5 hours
• T2-WB 85 lumens, 1.5 - 5 hours
• T3-WB 100 lumens, 2.5 hours
• T4-WB 125 lumens, 2 - 2.5 hours
• T5-WB 125 lumens, 3 hours

• T1-MP 100 lumen light output for 5 hours
• T2-MP 125 lumen light output for 4 hours
• T3-MP 150 lumen for 3.5 hours
• T4-MP 175 lumens for 2 hours with High, Low and Strobe
• T5-MP 200 lumen for 3 hours with High, Low and Strobe

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are the 2008 T5's available?

Battery Junction and Bug Out Gear should have the 2008 T5.

I have both the T1 and T2 and think they are one of the best values out there.A 6P with a quality drop-in can be brighter but many of the drop-ins cost almost as much or more than the INOVA lights.I also like the warmer tints of the 2008 INOVAs as opposed to the cool tint of my G2L.

BMF

Enlightened
I also have a new T5 with 200 lumens rated and I can say it's very bright/throw very good compared to Malkoff M60 Q5 High Output 235 lumens. I don't know about Low output because I don't have any equipment to check, but I love the Strobe function.

Russianesq

Enlightened
2008 T5, very nice.

best part is that u can use 17500 AW batteries.
:twothumbs

in the previous T5's the 17500 AW batteries would not fit.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
17500's will fit.... that is great!

As to the thread question, it is a hard one. Over a thousand aftermarket products exhist to modify your SF 6p/9p etc... But I liked the new Inova T1 way more than my stock 6Pled for less money and the new T5 looks to be an incredible light if it will take 2x17500's.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both a Surefire 6P and 9P. Would I be wasting my money on Inova, which of the "t" series would you buy and why. Also are they all new release now or do I have to watch for old models?

Thanks as always :twothumbs

The short answer is no, you would not be wasting your money. They are extremely rugged and backed with a great warranty. I like the T5 (mine is a 2007 version) series with the mid body button. I like the T1 because its very pocketable.

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
I already have a lot of the toys for modding the Surefires. Of course there is always something else you need.

I am drawn to Inova for some odd reason. I dont really like Pelican or Streamlight or a lot of the other bigger brands. For others fine, but the ones I have seen are not for me.

I have always loved Maglite, not for their beautiful beams (factory sucks) but they were my fist "issue" lights so I love cleaning up old ones and breathing new life into them, making them better than they ever were.

Still something calls me to Inova even though I cannot really mod them.

Once I get the rest of my Protons sold I am gonna check out a T-4 or T-5

Thanks everybody as always

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought the new MP versions of the T1, T2 (three of them), and T3. All have had varying degrees of warm tint. Advertised lumens seem realistic for what you get out the front.

- The T1-MP was too floody for my tastes, so I sold it. But it does have 4 hours of regulated runtime, which is 3-4x what the 2007 version delivered.

- The T3-MP puts out a lot of light. It's not as much of a thrower as it could be for its size, but the hotspot is large and very useful. The downside is needing to use three 123A batteries.

- The T2-MP is my favorite of the three models I've seen. It has equal output to the Surefire U2 but a lot more throw. It even has slightly more throw than the T3-MP. It is about 1 inch longer than the T1-MP, but the body of the T2-MP is narrower. It's a strong candidate to replace the Surefire E2E incan completely, and a lot of other 2-cell incandescent lights, for that matter.

That being said, you really can't go wrong buying a robust Surefire incan host like the 6P and adding the best LED drop-in. I have a Malkoff M60 Q5 in a 6P and it screams. It matches the center beam intensity of a P60 incan running on fresh batteries, and the M60 is regulated to run that way for 1.5 hours. The M60 also has a lot more sidespill and total output than the P60.

Of course, I recommend buying both a Malkoff M60 and an Inova T2-MP. :p

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
What I dont get is, why is the T3 less bright and smaller than the T5 when they both take 3 123s?

ginaz

Enlightened
the t3 has the cap switch versus the side switch on the t5, that's going to affect the length. output and runtime are determined by the bias built into the circuitry

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
the t3 has the cap switch versus the side switch on the t5, that's going to affect the length. output and runtime are determined by the bias built into the circuitry

No, i mean why did they choose to make the T3 so much less lumens.

Centropolis

Enlightened
While we are on the topic of Inova Tactical series.....has anyone use RCR123As in their t2s or t3s? Inova deson't recommend using them but I am wondering if it's safe to use them in these lights.

If seems that all of the CR123A flashlights I have cannot handle RCR123As well without modding.

steveG

Enlightened
Old thread yes, I know, but I just started using my T2 again recently and had forgotten how nice of a light it is. I think it deserves some love on the boards since Inova is rarely discussed.

I have a 2007 T2-WB and have to say it is a great light. When compared to a stock 6PL, it wins hands down in every category. It's slightly brighter (to my eyes), has a exponentially better tint, throws better and has a GREAT tailcap switch. It comes with the switch I wish my 6PL has. On top of all this, the T2-WB cost me a third of what the 6PL did. I paid full retail for the surefire ($85=tax) at a local store and ordered the T2-WB from Amazon during a great sale ($31.48 shipped). From what I've read the latest T2 is even better and is still just over half the cost of the 6PL.

In short, no the Inova is not mod-friendly, but it's a great light out of the box.

The 6P/9Ps are no doubt great lights and foundations, but cost more to start, need mods to be just as good or better and are larger and not as easy to carry.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, Inova needs some love.

Good news is, they seem to be updating the Bolt lights with K2s, which should make even their budget lights awesome (moreso if they're using the TFFC K2s). Can't wait for the 2009 T series, maybe I'll run into something that'll unseat my Aviator from its belt-holster throne of EDC king.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone use their 2008 T1 with either a 17670 or 2 R123 Li-ions? If it could take rechargeables it would be a great deal.

Same goes for their new Inforce lights..

Sverre