Help me select a 1 x AA flashlight ...

cpf

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
Was looking for a flashlight and stumbled on CPF. Read as much as I could but still have some doubts. Can you guys please help me ?

I need a small flashlight :
- preferrably LED, that I will be carrying mostly in my backpack but sometimes in a pocket.
- I will be using it mainly for short distances ( less than about 25 feet, indoors ).
- Would like a flashlight that takes non-rechargeable 1 x AA cells.
- Reasonably priced, say less than $25.

Based on what I have read here and elsewhere, I have narrowed down my choice to the Ultrafire C3 1 x AA single mode, Ultrafire C3 SS and the Romisen RC-G2.
1) Have I made the right choices ? Should I consider the multi mode C3 ?
2) I included both the SS and Alu models of the C3 because from what I understand heat adversely affects LED modules. Alu is a pretty good conductor of heat while SS is a rather bad conductor. What are the implications of using SS rather than Alu ?
3) Which of the three is the most efficient using non-rechargeable AA cells ?
4) How's the build quality of the Alu Ultrafire C3 today ?
5) Do I really need a Cree XR-E ? Or will the older 5mm LEDs do ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
By non-rechargeable AA, are you talking about alkaline or L91 lithium (e2 Energizer lithium)?

If you are talking about alkaline, you are VERY limited for 1xAA lights. Most of the bright ones have a somewhat high power requirement, which alkaline simply cannot meet. If you are ok with a dim, but useful output of somewhere between 3-10 lumens, there are several 5mm lights which offer that with relatively long runtimes.

If you are ok with using L91's, you can go with a high power light, and your choices are endless. To that end, I would recommend a 3-5 mode light in this category.

SS vs Aluminum, the heat issue isn't much of an issue with the type of lights you are looking at. Between those two, it's more of an issue of weight (SS is MUCH heavier, which can be important for pocket carry), and how the light wears. SS will not show much wear. HA-III aluminum lights will look ok for a long while, and Type-II anodized aluminum lights (like the Ultafire) will show wear quickly. How they look is purely aesthetic, and only matters to you, and affect function in no way.

Also, :welcome:

Abumustafa

Enlightened
:welcome: Hope you find what your looking for But Marduke is spot on with the advice i would have the same advice for you :thumbsup:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkalines do not do well in todays high powered lights.
I can not find a runtime graph for the C3 so I'll use the Fenix L1T to illustrate.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177886

First look at the output on high.
The alkaline curve starts dropping from the 1st minute and is useless in 32 minutes. The other batteries stay at full power for over 1.5 hours.

Now look at the output on low.
All 3 battery types stay at the same level for extended levels.
Low on the L1T is not bad. Useful to 15 feet (that is the longest straight distance in my flat). Can still probably identify objects out to 30+ feet.

So if you are going to use alkalines or super heavy duty batteries I would recommend a multimode light that starts with low or medium.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're really really looking for alkaline and backpacking use, you might consider a light designed specifically for that. The Gerber Infinity Ultra is long running, usefully bright for low light conditions (but nowhere near the C3, etc. lights), really tough, and (I think) reliable. 10 hours near initial brightness and a bunch of slowly dimming hours after that on an alky AA. Best price is $13 shipped including a free Gerber knife here. See posts #23 and #29 of this thread which explain the free shipping.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1. I'd also include the MTE Seoul.
2. SS looks better and feels heavier.
3. The C3 might be better then the RC-G2
4. From what I've read, decent.
5. They are more efficient then the normal 5mm LED, and can produce more output. A light with a high and low mode could work better.

:welcome:

GPB

Enlightened
I had a Dorcy AA light that lasted 1 night and the switch failed on me.

I also have an Inova X1 that I really, really like. There have been 3 versions of that light, and mine is the second so you might have to look for it. Its quality is good, output is good....and I love the look of it. Its an attractive light !! I picked it up for under $20 at Target.

Alero

Enlightened
At Target, the X1 in silver is on sale for 13 bucks right now at most locations. But for 2 dollars more ($22) than the X1, I like the River Rock. It's got better electronics to me.

Romisen RC-G2 is an awesome little light for the price too, but I haven't tested with Alkalines.

cpf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, everyone. Guess I wasn't too clear in the OP. When I said "I will be carrying mostly in my backpack" I meant a (small) backpack that I carry everywhere. Most of the time I will be using the flashlight indoors - when I'm fixing things or when there is a power cut. I should have mentioned this in the first post.

I will have to consider rechargeables I suppose. Maybe with the SS C3 - wish there was a two mode SS C3 model.

When I said "Do I really need a Cree XR-E ?" what I meant was : are Cree XR-Es the right choice for close-up work ( eg. repairing a PC ), or are they too bright ?

Thanks again, CPF members have been very helpful and pleasant.

Marduke

Flashaholic
When I said "Do I really need a Cree XR-E ?" what I meant was : are Cree XR-Es the right choice for close-up work ( eg. repairing a PC ), or are they too bright ?

It can be too bright, but you can also run it much dimmer. LED's are actually more efficient the lower you run them, and don't turn ugly yellow like incans do. That's the whole idea of having multiple modes. You can run a light at full brightness if needed, or much dimmer for much longer runtime also.

Do you happen wear a baseball cap? If so, I highly recommend a AAA light like the LOD, which can be clipped to the brim and used like a headlamp for hands free. Also, it has modes to select the "just right" level of brightness you need.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The UJC B-6 might work. Two mode, high-low-off. I've also heard quality feels good(you might have to tighten the tailcap retaining ring though).

razor7

Newly Enlightened
I would also recommend the Inova X1. I use mine a lot as it is enough light for most general tasks. And it works well with alkalines, although I use L91's in mine.

My absolute favorite single AA light is my PEAK Kilimanjaro UP. I almost always have this light with me, and it is just right for most conditions that require needing a light. It is fairly inexpensive at $35, and also works well with alkalines. PEAK lights are extremely well made, and very durable and dependable.

http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/Kilmanjaro_HA_1LED.html

At Target, the X1 in silver is on sale for 13 bucks right now at most locations. But for 2 dollars more ($22) than the X1, I like the River Rock. It's got better electronics to me.

Romisen RC-G2 is an awesome little light for the price too, but I haven't tested with Alkalines.

cpf

Newly Enlightened
Going to wait and think for some time.

What I would have really liked is the RC-G2 with a low mode. Went thru the entire "Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree experience?" thread hoping to find a mod that would give me a low power ( and high efficiency ) mode. Isn't there a market for such ( good built quality and low power )flashlights ?

btw, why doesn't the Romisen web site http://www.szromisen.com/ok_en.asp list the RC-G2 ?