Weapon lights: ?Updated with AR pictures :)

Dobbler

Enlightened
I'm in the market for a shotgun (870) and AR weapon lights.

I have a SureFire X300 on a pistol. But now I need the right choice for a long gun.

Do I get another X300 and mount it on the AR and/or Shotgun with remote switch?

Do I mount some other SureFire LED (Cree) light with switch?

What are my choices and options here? :thinking:

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Weapon lights: Any with Cree?

Wait for the KL9 to come out. I believe it uses a P7 and has about 350-400 lumens output. You will need a Millenium series 9 volt body for it. I have an MH60? Body and LU10 adaptor for sale in the Marketplace....
All you would have to do is buy a tailcap, mount and wait for the head to be released from SF.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened

What is the mission? That will determine how much light, and what beam type you need or want. Indoors, there is such a thing as too much light. Outdoors, do you want more flood or more throw?

You mentioned a shotgun and AR, so I'll start there. I use an original 9P with a Malkoff lamp, shock isolating bezel, flip up red filter cap and momentary/click-on tailcap on one of my ARs. The red filter gives me the option of night-vision sparing navigation lighting, if needed. The beam is floody enough for entry/room clearing, yet it throws enough for outdoor CQB. Plenty of light, but not too much.

I use a similar setup on a Mossy 590: only it's a 6P with a last gen malkoff and coiled tape switch. I used a Dremel to indent an area for the tape switch in the forearm -- right where my fingers naturally rest.

Now, these are my two cheapest weapons lights! I have one 870 with a Surefire 918FA. I also have multiple ARs with Surefires (Scouts mostly); the newest wearing a M500A integrated light.

My point is that others here will have used many different types and setups and will defend what they like best. But in actual usage, I grab one of the first two weapons when the balloon goes up. The reason being that they are my oldest, most proven weapons. They are the ones that are always near me. Their equipment has changed little over the last decade. Only minor upgrades. That includes the lights.

Dobbler

Enlightened

For the Remi 870, this would be purely indoor HD.

For the AR, I'd like a lot of throw. I like the idea of a red filter option for indoor HD too. Hope that helps.

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened

If it was me ,, in my own house ,,i would have some remote controlled lights
Why ,,well if there was a armed intruder my best guess would be that he/ she might shoot at the light ,,so i would not like to be behind the light that was shoot at :oops:

BigD64

Enlightened

Get the dedicated forearm for the 870 and get a Malkoff M60 dropin. Hit them with that and you probably won't need to shoot.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Wait for the KL9 to come out. I believe it uses a P7 and has about 350-400 lumens output. You will need a Millenium series 9 volt body for it. I have an MH60? Body and LU10 adaptor for sale in the Marketplace....
All you would have to do is buy a tailcap, mount and wait for the head to be released from SF.
MH60 is for the M600 - ScoutLight Series.
MH90 is for the Millennium Universal WeaponLight Series.

Note that you'll also need a rail mount for the MH90 such as the M49.
The LU10 is a whole Lamp Module (complete with "M3" bezel and MN10 lamp assembly). You may be able to find the LU10/LU15 Lamp Module Housing Body on the MarketPlace though.

Since the firearm is a Remington 870 shotgun I suggest a SureFire 618FGA. You can update this with a P60L LED lamp assembly (and a Z44 '6P' bezel)
I doubt that you'll need higher output for indoor (in home) use. Not unless you have a large open-plan house. Self-blinding and such is something you'll determine whether is an issue for you or not once you do some in-house training with your weapon & light combination.

Al

Paladin

Enlightened

For $15 or so you can get the Streamlight 870 mount, and try your X300 on it. A Streamlight TLR-1 is shown, and works quite well indoors. The light can be positioned at 3, 6, or 9 o'clock relative to the magazine tube cap. Easy to remove the light and/or bracket when not needed, compared to the dedicated Surefire replacement forearm system.

Paladin
Captured_2006-7-30_00006.jpg

neoseikan

Enlightened

We are going to make a P7 based 3*18650 light,
But we don't know weapon well, when it is done,
Could any body try to amount it on a gun?

Dobbler

Enlightened

Why doesn't SF sell the 870 forend 618FGA with the 6P LED?

Dobbler

Enlightened

Is the forend really worth the near $300 price, plus the drop-in?

Size15's

Flashaholic

Is the forend really worth the near $300 price, plus the drop-in?
I suggest you find some Law Enforcement Officers who use SureFire Shotgun Forends and ask them what they think.
SureFire makes WeaponLights - the Weapon comes first. The Light and its operation is designed for the weapon. Dedicated forends integrate all the switching into the most ergonomically suitable locations - no mess, no fuss.
For firearms use the switching of lights is critical. It has to be as simple and intuitive as possible.
It's also worth noting that SureFire WeaponLights continue to serve for years and years and years on some of the most actively used firearms by those pounding the streets, pounding down doors and pounding the dirt.
Dedicated forend WeaponLights are where SureFire rule.

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened

I highly recommend getting the 618FA forend, there's nothing better out there that does a better job.

If you need more light, you can always get the 918FA which is a 9v light.

http://www.transgressive.ca/images/gladys/_DSC9887.jpg

As for the AR, just get a 6P/G2 and get the Larue flashlight offset mount, along with their new FUG vertical grip. They also make a QD mount for the X300.

Offset Mount
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=23

X300 Mount
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=205

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/ShortFUG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dobbler

Enlightened

Excellent information. THANK YOU.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

TLR-1 with Seoul P4

(Seoul uses a Cree LED, remember?)

I think a P7 is going to be problematic due to power, unless one underdrives it. Also, getting a good beam from it using small optics/reflector is going to be a challenge. For now I really like the setup above. It's practical, bright enough (probably about 150 lumens out the front) and reasonably long runtime of an hour and 20 minutes.

I anxiously await what Surefire has to offer with the P7.

Last edited:

Dobbler

Enlightened

For the 870, I'm ordering the 618FGA and already ordered the M60 module for it -- thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Now for the AR -- I'd like to use my X300 on the underside rail of the gas block. My gas block (YHM) as a fold-down front sight and a rail only on the bottom.

Does a switch exist for the X300 that could be mounted on standard M4 handguards?

Another option is to mount a SF L1 on rings in the same location. Again, what switch could I use with this light?

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic

Does a switch exist for the X300 that could be mounted on standard M4 handguards?
You could easily secure an STxx tape pressure switch pad to standard M4 handguards using a 'ranger band' (piece of old bicycle inner tube).

Obviously this plug-in STxx cable would replace the SRxx plug-in cable that comes standard with the XTxx switch for the X300.
The XT hasn't been released yet.

(xx is cable length in whole inches, for example "07" or "04" etc)

Another option is to mount a SF L1 on rings in the same location. Again, what switch could I use with this light?
There is no SureFire, nor (AFAIK) aftermarket tape pressure switch TailCap for the Z62 two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap for the L1/L2/A2.

seattlite

Enlightened

You could easily secure an STxx tape pressure switch pad to standard M4 handguards using a 'ranger band' (piece of old bicycle inner tube).

Obviously this plug-in STxx cable would replace the SRxx plug-in cable that comes standard with the XTxx switch for the X300.
The XT hasn't been released yet.

(xx is cable length in whole inches, for example "07" or "04" etc)

There is no SureFire, nor (AFAIK) aftermarket tape pressure switch TailCap for the Z62 two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap for the L1/L2/A2.

I called up several resellers as well as SF and they stated that the XT07 will be out in 6-8 weeks. The XT07 will ship with the SR07 rail mounted switch.

If you plan to mount the X300 on Picatinny rails, as was suggested in another thread, get the Larue X200/X300 mount. This will allow you to mount the light in any rail position without going through the front of the rail system and the mount will also give you a quick disconnect.