Allow me to introduce myself

EDLLED

Newly Enlightened
Finally had to register!
Since stumbling upon this forum, I've become aware that I have terminal flashaholicism.
I've been aware of the symtpoms for quite some time, but I thought it was merely a passing bug. I didn't know the disease I had was so serious. I never liked taking Maglite medicine because I thought there were better treatments somewhere else. I took it anyway and always felt miserable since it didn't do much for me. Unfortunately, some of the recommended treatments mentioned here are a bit too much for my wallet, deductible or not. :sigh:

Seriously, I've always liked flashlights, but you guys are really crazy! I like it though!

I'm wondering if I can get some guidance in this whole new lit-up world.

I can easily see myself buying a variety of lights through the years for various purposes but I'm looking at buying my first real flashlight. I'd like something horribly bright, with various settings and great runtime that accepts fairly easy to find (amazon is ok) batteries under $100. The Fenix L0d seems to be a nice find, but I just saw the L2d right at the limit of my budget.... Any advice concerning these or others? I live out in the country and like to see everything when I go out at night. Close flood, long distance throw and everything in between. I'd like to recreate daylight as much as possible.

I'd love to start with the Novatac 120P but that's much too rich for my blood right now. The most I've ever spent was recently for my 3AA led Maglite. I started my search for a light because this thing (current maglite) completely underwhelms me. When there's a noise around our kennel, it seems this light makes things harder to see, much less brightens anything up.... i'm halfway serious, halfway joking. I end up very frustrated because I see our dogs' eyes and not much else. I can't really tell much at a distance of about 30 feet..... How weak is that!!?!

Just today, while browsing through the 100th post from people like me, I realized there are mods, and I might not need to trash this maglite like I thought I was going to once I got the great beginner light...

Which leads me to my next question. What are some recommended mods (remember, total newbie here) for the 3aa?

I think life would be surprisingly happier if I had 2 cool lights and not just 1...... A jumpstart to light nirvana....

Thanks in advance for the help, I've learned a ton just by lurking for the past 2 weeks!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, you can look on Dealextreme and Kaidomain for good deals. Just look in the current gen LED section(Cree/Seoul/Rebel) for lights getting good reviews. Shipping would take a while though. Though you could get 2,3,4 or maybe even more lights from DX for under $100 depending on the ones you buy.

If you don't mind buying 18650 batteries and a charger(this one's better), the Romisen RC-T5 could work. If you like throw, the WF-600/800 Aurora WF-600 would work well as a thrower(100+ meters). If you want lots of modes, the VB-16(I'd recommend asking them for protected batteries, if they say no, add either protected 18650 batteries or protected RCR123 batteries) would work well.

Out of all the lower priced brands, Romisen seems to have the best quality.

There is also a 8% off coupon if you shop at Fenix Store. "CPF8"

The Dereelight CL1H would also be a good choice, but it would be over your budget if you add batteries.

What do you have now and what size would you like the light to be?

:welcome:

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L0d seems to be a nice find, but I just saw the L2d right at the limit of my budget.... Any advice concerning these or others? I live out in the country and like to see everything when I go out at night. Close flood, long distance throw and everything in between. I'd like to recreate daylight as much as possible.

The most I've ever spent was recently for my 3AA led Maglite. I see our dogs' eyes and not much else. I can't really tell much at a distance of about 30 feet..... How weak is that!!?!
The Fenix L0D is a tiny keychain/pocket light. The L2D is a kitchen drawer/car glove compartment/belt carry kind of light. Totally different. Consider the L2T v2.0 instead of the L2D if you are budget squeezed.

Are you using alkaline/heavy duty batteries? Take a look at the runtime curves of the MagLED 3AA 2nd chart.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/132640
On alkalines the output drops after the 1st 1/2 hour. Which is why you find the light too dim. With NiMH the output stays constant. As regular NiMH needs recharging every month even if you do not use them I suggest getting some low self discharge NiMH like Sanyo Eneloop or RayOvac Hybrids. (Usually say pre charged if other brands). Make sure the charger you get can charge 1,2,3,4 batteries. Many can only charge 2 or 4.

Changing battery type may solve your problem. If you are using alkalines switching to a L2D or L0D will not help as alkalines are worse with those torches. See the runtime graphs.
L2D: Alkalines are dead in 1/2 hour. Other types remain at full power for 1-1/2 hours.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/155819
L0D: Alkalines 17 minutes. Others just under an hour.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/152223
At least with the 3AAA minimagLED you get some light for up to 4 hours.

EDLLED

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely amazing!

Battery types. Remarkable! I know about this, yet I never put it together on my own regarding flashlights.... Please, someone, loan me a dunce cap. LED Ninja, wow. It's incredible to see that stuff graphed out! Many, many thanks!

Gunner, thanks for the tips! With those links, I can see my collection growing much faster than I anticipated. I was expecting most of the "serious beginner" lights would cost me well over $150. What a wonderful surprise!

I can assure you, I will be purchasing and ordering multiple batteries/chargers and new flashlights this very weekend....

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Just make sure you get good ones ;)

If you have questions about anything, just ask(well do a quick search first).

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to start with the Novatac 120P but that's much too rich for my blood right now.
Then start off with the 120P. Do not fall into a classic flashaholic trap: Buying a lesser light, only to purchase your true desire in the end. You can save yourself from this dilemma by going big the first time around.