Waterproof dive light for night snorkeling

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I don't need a massive light for the big depths, but do need to buy a couple smaller dive lights that my wife and I can use for shallow water night snorkeling.

I want the newest generation LED that can be powered by rechargeable AA batteries because all of my field gear has been chosen to use the same power source. Or if there is a model that might be modified with the newest generation LED, that would be great too (I wonder if the PT Torrent can be modified the same way as a PT Apex headlamp?)

In my imagination, I would like something that performs like a Fenix L2D but is made specifically for underwater use. However it seems that none of the "dive lights" in this AA format are currently using the best and brightest LED's. . .

My options seem to be the following:

1) Princeton-Tec Torrent LED: 8 batteries
2) Ikelite PCm: 4 batteries
3) Ikelite PCa: 6 batteries
4) UK Mini Q40 eLED plus: 4 batteries
5) other models I don't know about?

Last edited:

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Pelican Stealthlite recoil uses 4 AA batteries and has the option of a photoluminescent shroud that make it really easy to find if you should happen to drop it while turned off. Check it out. Pelican recently relased the " Nemo" line which specifially say they are rated for diving, however before the nemo line was released the stealthlites were dive rated to 500 ft so I think the whole Nemo line may just be a marketing ploy.

GPB

Enlightened
Here is a list of 5 articles from Scuba Diving Magazine that reviews dive lights.

I would suggest that you either get a light that floats or attach flotation to your light. There is nothing more depressing than watching something expensive sink beyond your range right before your eyes.

Be sure to light your Dive Flag as well. Even though you will have a circle of light around you, a boater won't be expecting a snorkeler at night.

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would not recomend the PT torrent it is not that bright and the beam kind of sucks, the PT surge is much better and can run on 4 AA or 8AA

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
im actually thinking that you could use a well lubed fenix for that. Provided you dont go too deep.its only Snorkeling right? I think someone said that they use a fenix as a backup underwater light..:thinking:

any further then that, i think UK should be good..

Crenshaw

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK products have served me very well for the past 20 years or so, though I have only used their incandescent lights (8D and 4C) underwater. IMO, one would need a pretty powerfull LED light to use underwater. Something about the environment that just swallows up the LED beam.

1 what

Enlightened
Following some posts re waterproofing on CPF a couple of months ago I've used my Fenix P3D without any problems to depthe of 3-4M.
I must admit I put some thick silicon grease on the threads but I doubt that this is really necessary. I'd also advise a "wrist strap" in case you drop it.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I ordered both the Princeton Tec Torrent LED and the Ikelite PCa LED. The Torrent has a "3Watt" (which I hope can be modified like a PT Apex headlamp with a Seoul P4) and the Ikelite has a "5 Watt" LED which I am hoping is a more modern emitter.

My hope is that one of these lights will work well for my purposes or that one of them can be modified to suit my needs.

GPB

Enlightened
I don't know your situation or location, but many dive shops conduct night dive training and have a collection of lights for student use/rental. If you frequent a local shop ( or know someone who does ) you could probably borrow a few of their lights to test out.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I received my two lights. The Ikelite 6AA PC-a with its "5 watt" LED is definitely brighter than the Princeton Tec Torrent LED.

However, I just soldered in a Seoul P4 LED upgrade for the Torrent and it is a big improvement. I'll post beamshots and a write-up as I get a chance to complete them.