Fans in Flashlights?

jufam44

Enlightened
Hey all,
So a friend of mine got me thinking, has anyone put a fan into a flashlight for cooling? Everyone's all about heatsinking now a days, and I was thinking maybe a fan would make a nice addition. Am I just being crazy here?

Thanks!
-Max

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I guess the only issue is current drain reducing run time, and air inlet and outlet holes for airflow, which limits it's water proofness.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Here's one by ez78

THORMH400_6.jpg

Flashlight Enthusiast
i knew someone would show his light again, that thing is assume

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
been wondering the same thing, it would be highly impractical, and add more parts that might fail after awhile, but oh so cool... im thinking a 100 Cree LEDs mounted on a honeycombed piece aluminium, COOL MASTER fans or something inside. and a threaded hole for tripod use...

Crenshaw

Robban

Enlightened
When these things get out into the real world it might make a weee bit more sense for smaller lights to have actual airflow for cooling. But I think the general consensus is that unless you have a big honking light with massive heat generation the smaller lights need the space for batteries rather than cooling.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
While that SS Fan is impressive it doesn't solve the problem that electronics still generating heat. I look forward to the day where electronics are 99% efficient or we move to the light based processing.

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if a heat pipe carrying heat from the die/internal heat sink to the outside of the light would be preferable. It could be made pretty weather resistant, and the more fragile heat pipe could be protected by external sinking/casement, like fins or ribs.

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
I could be mistaken, but I believe heat pipes have a preferred orientation, so would not be practical.

paulr

Flashaholic
There have been a few, I remember someone put three leds (don't remember if they were Crees or Luxeon V's) cooled by a cpu heatsink and fan, into one of those rectangular bike lights. it looked great and had something like 500 lumens of output.

Illum

Flashaholic
been wondering the same thing, it would be highly impractical, and add more parts that might fail after awhile, but oh so cool... im thinking a 100 Cree LEDs mounted on a honeycombed piece aluminium, COOL MASTER fans or something inside. and a threaded hole for tripod use...

Crenshaw

oh, a challenger to Data bank eh? :huh: