SureFire 6PLED. (2nd high end flash light)

Azn226

Newly Enlightened
hello all. i recently just purchase the SF 6PLED over the weekend and its a great product. My 1st high end flash light is a Stream Light Strion.

i search through this forum and read for the past 8 hours im still a bit confused about power requirements for a Drop in LED. here's what i am looking for, a brighter Drop in LED most likely 120+ lumens. Then i was reading about the different power requirements. so it all boils down to a drop in that is 120+ lumens and Rechargeable batteries. What would be the Best Combination? aslong as the run time last 1.5 hours and w/o modding the Surefire 6PLED body.

please give your advice to a Noobie thanks! :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
For starters, theres the drop-in sticky at the top of the page.
Earlier today M60s were available.
Ive been happy with my DX 6090, It won't do over ~110L but there are other similar DX modules that will.

Last edited:

BigD64

Enlightened
go to Malkoffdevices.com and get on Gene's mailing list. He makes the best dropins for the 6P. A warning they are hard to get he makes them himself and puts stock online once a week usually mondays. If you don't get one in the 1st 60 minutes you miss. You will get 200 lumens with a great beam.

Azn226

Newly Enlightened
For starters, theres the drop-in sticky at the top of the page.
Earlier today M60s were available.
Ive been happy with my DX 6090, although I dont have much to compare it with at the moment.

how many lumens does the DX 6090 output?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There's a thread here.

My guess on the 6090 is around 150 lumen at the emitter and around 110 lumen out the front. There is also a Q5 version which should be 140-150 lumen out the front.

It's pretty cheap and could be a good start.

Azn226

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your Advice for right now i decided to go with a DX 6090 since it is very cheap for now. Now im looking at a Rechargeable batteries would a 18650 fit into the 6p? if not what would you guys recommend?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
how many lumens does the DX 6090 output?

I have no way to quantify or measure this... so take this with caution, as it is my perception only.

Others have reported that the Cree task force spits out around 100L. The 6090 appears to be just a little brighter than my TF, doing an A/B ceiling bounce comparison. So I would think the 6090 would be around 110L, give or take. Although the 6090 is slightly more yellow... which may be influencing my perception of relative brightness.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thank you all for your Advice for right now i decided to go with a DX 6090 since it is very cheap for now. Now im looking at a Rechargeable batteries would a 18650 fit into the 6p? if not what would you guys recommend?

Nope... too big diameter. the smaller 17XXX cell will fit however (AFAIK). I haven't tried running mine at 3.7V. I am not certain the 6090 is as bright running one cell, compared to 2xRCR123.

Ive been happy with DX RCR123 cells.

Azn226

Newly Enlightened
Nope... too big diameter. the smaller 17XXX cell will fit however (AFAIK). I haven't tried running mine at 3.7V. I am not certain the 6090 is as bright running one cell, compared to 2xRCR123.

Ive been happy with DX RCR123 cells.

thank you again for the great info. off i go to get some DX RCR123 batteries.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

roymail

Enlightened
Get the AW's rcr123's. You'll be glad you did... money well spent.

A single 17670 will light it up but won't run long in regulation... the rcr123's are a better choice with slightly reduced runtime.

Please read and heed the long thread posted by mdocod regarding the proper use and care of lithium-ion batteries. Good advice...:wave:

Azn226

Newly Enlightened
Get the AW's rcr123's. You'll be glad you did... money well spent.

A single 17670 will light it up but won't run long in regulation... the rcr123's are a better choice with slightly reduced runtime.

Please read and heed the long thread posted by mdocod regarding the proper use and care of lithium-ion batteries. Good advice...:wave:

Be careful buying cheap lithium ion batteries, could turn your SF 6P into a pipe bomb. Be sure to get protected cells, and read up on how to handle and care for lithium ion cells.

Many here will recommend AW's batteries:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=173892

Some battery information to learn about safe usage:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone.htm

thanks to both of you guys. i ordered 4 AW rcr123 batteries this morning.

roymail

Enlightened
quote from mdocod
Generally speaking, using a single 17670 on a module like this will give elongated runtimes with slowly diminishing output, while using a pair of RCR123s will hold the module in regulation through the entire discharge, resulting in a shorter runtime, but full brightness throughout.

I think you made a good decision.:eek:

lightinsky

Enlightened
I have a DX1447 that is a 900mA driven Cree P4 that has been said to put out 140-150 emitter lumens. I love this drop in and it is alot brighter than the standard G2L 80 lumen led.

Latest posts