Just tried my KX2 2008 Dual output on rechargeables

jylong_away

Newly Enlightened
I've posted a question about this before on CPF, but now that I've gotten my new AW RCR123s, something else has come to..er...light.:whistle:

Tried a set of AWs fully charged 3.7v protected RCR123s (the new black ones that fit nicely into SF E-series tubes) with the 2008 dual output KX2 LED head from surefire.

The first thing I noticed was that the 'low-level' part of the dual output mode was significantly brighter than with fresh primary cells. It's still 'lower' than the high-level, it's much harder to tell the difference. The high level seems roughly the same to the eye. Have no equipment to measure anything specific.

Anyone have the same experience with the new KX2's? Any idea if this will overdrive the circuit to the point of burnout?

ttran97, you mentioned that you've used two 3.7v cells with your KX2 and it's been OK so far. Have u noticed this issue with the brightness?

I've still got use for the RCR's with 7.2v bulbs and the opticsHQ impact bezel (thanks again Kobi, btw!), but wonder if I should use it at all with the KX2.

I guess the other option is to get a single-cell tube to run the KX2 on. Anyone know of a good tube +/- clicky that I can get on it's own, without having to buy a whole E1B or E1e/E1L?

Thanks!

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
ttran97, you mentioned that you've used two 3.7v cells with your KX2 and it's been OK so far. Have u noticed this issue with the brightness?

My brightness levels are significantly different on my black E2L...so I don't know why you're having brightness issues. I'll take some beam shots in a bit with the two different levels.

Last edited:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, here are my quick and dirty beam shots with the two modes. You should use the KX2 on the 1-cell lights and AW RCR123s too...I have that setup as well and it's great! I might have some E1e-bk bodies lying around for you if you're interested...but I don't want to get in trouble since this isn't a sales thread. PM me about that later.

KX2 using 2 RCR123s on low:
kx2_low.jpg

KX2 using 2 RCR123s on high:
kx2_high.jpg

My NCAA March Madness Tournament Bracket...haha...Go UCLA Bruins!

And here's the light that I used:

e2l-bk.jpg

Last edited:

jylong_away

Newly Enlightened
Hey, thanks for that!

I have a similar difference in levels, but I guess what I mean is that there was a bigger difference between levels using primary cells.

I don't suppose you've looked into whether that low-level beamshot was more than the 3 lumens in the spec? If you haven't, please don't go to any trouble. Was just wondering, and it doesn't really matter.

Have PMed you about the bodies. Thanks.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, thanks for that!

I have a similar difference in levels, but I guess what I mean is that there was a bigger difference between levels using primary cells.

I don't suppose you've looked into whether that low-level beamshot was more than the 3 lumens in the spec? If you haven't, please don't go to any trouble. Was just wondering, and it doesn't really matter.

Have PMed you about the bodies. Thanks.

I'm sure the low is more than 3 lumen...but I'm happy with it. 3 lumen is really only good for really dark situations, like going to the bathroom in the middle of the night...Otherwise, I'm happy with the brighter "low" now.