Any news Of PT or UK coming out with a 4AA light with a modern led?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just looked at Princeton Tec's and Underwater Kinetics' websites hoping to find a 4aa "plastic" waterproof light with a modern led. Hopefully something putting out at least 75-80 lumens with a very respectable burn time. No such luck. UK has a new 8c led that is putting out "290 lumens" out of 2x 5 watt leds (luxeon, cree, k2?) but nothing in a handy 4xAA light.

I was really hoping to see something noteworthy and new from either of these manufactures this year.... but no such luck...except maybe in their headlamp products.

Have any of you seen anything new and worth noting? Or maybe I will just hope against hope that Streamlight will update its Propolymer 4AA light. I guess time will tell...

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I'm struggling with the same problem, woodrow.

See my thread about my search for a light to use for night snorkeling:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193100

It is frustrating when I have these nice 180 lumen 2xAA Fenix lights around and cannot figure out why nobody makes a very bright AA light for underwater use.

I just ordered the Princeton Tec Torrent with the hope that I can modify it just like I did with my PT Apex headlamp. I'm hoping that it will be easy to swap LED's and get something greater than 100 lumens from this lamp. I just won't know until I receive the light and get a chance to take it apart.

I also ordered the Ikelite PCa LED to see what their "5 watt" LED is and if it can be improved or is better than the PT Torrent.

I may just have to lube the o-rings and threads of my Fenix lights and use them if I am not satisfied with the Torrent or cannot modify one to suit my needs.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yucca Patrol, thanks for your response. It is too bad that PT and UK cannot get it together with some relavant new lights. I used to have a Lightcannon 100 HID light, but my days of using C cells or Nicad batteries are long behind me. I forgot about Pelican... maybe they can come up with something that will meet your needs.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I just upgraded my Princeton Tec Torrent LED with a Seoul P4. It is a HUGE improvement and was very easy to do. I'll post beamshots and a write-up as I have the time to do them. . . .

It is easily 3 times if not 4 times as bright (seems about as bright as my Fenix L2D) and it was super easy to swap the emitters.

Last edited: