Does anyone regularly use a MagLED with Lithium Batteries?

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
The inevitable happened recently: I pulled a Maglite out of my wife's car to replace the batteries, and discovered that the alkaline cells had leaked. That got me thinking about what lithium light to put in instead. So, to the point:
  • Has anyone been using their MagLED 2AA with lithium cells? I know Mag doesn't recommend doing that, but has anyone:
  • been running lithium cells from day one with no problem?
or
  • gotten the magic smoke as a result of using lithium cells?
  • Also, does anyone have a favorite headlamp that is under $30, will take lithium cells, and is well suited for car-related emergencies?
Thanks,
Jon

razor7

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of AA LED MagLites that I have been using with only L91 lithiums (e2 Energizer), as I do with all my lights. I have not had any problems. Did not realize that Mag advises against them, but I never read the instructions on anything.

These are my two favorite LED headlamps. I use lithiums in them with no problems. The triplex one is also available at Lowe's. It is probably the best one for what you need it for as well.

http://www.lightsandknives.com/productid/559/19/1.html

http://www.lightsandknives.com/productid/560/19/1.html

Albinoni

Banned
Just a couple of Q's to ask here and please dont take it personal either. Why do you use the Energizer e2 and not the Eneloops in your torches. The e2's are very good dont get me wrong because I've used them but I find the Eneloops can give out just a good beam, cheaper to run.

Sad thing is I live in Australia and I've found batts here especially the e2's to be quite cotsly unless you get some good deals off Ebay.

The other expensive batts are the CR123A inwhich you'll pay roughly $13 for 1.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using Energizer lithiums in my 2C and 2D Mags w/Magleds.Have had no problems so far.AAs in a C or D cell light may seem a little silly but lithium AAs provide slightly more voltage and better cold weather performance.I have also had alkalines leak in my car flashlight and am trying to avoid that myself.

BTW,I use AA to D or C battery adapters. Battery Junction has them for less than $2 each.

razor7

Newly Enlightened
Just a couple of Q's to ask here and please dont take it personal either. Why do you use the Energizer e2 and not the Eneloops in your torches. The e2's are very good dont get me wrong because I've used them but I find the Eneloops can give out just a good beam, cheaper to run.

Sad thing is I live in Australia and I've found batts here especially the e2's to be quite cotsly unless you get some good deals off Ebay.

I have considered the Eneloops, but am wondering how they hold up and perform in temperature extremes. Many of my lights are left in my vehicles, or are used year round when hunting, camping, geocaching, etc. I need them to work when they are frozen or scorching hot, and sitting in a glovebox, backpack, or one of my BOB's for extended periods of time.

You should be able to get 123's for around $1.50 online at places like the Battery Station. That is what I pay for SureFire SF123's in bulk from my local gun shop.

Marduke

Flashaholic

1) Nothing beats lithium primaries for long term storage, self discharge, runtime, and extreme temperatures.

2) L91's are only about $1.67-$2.50 each in the US or online, and sometimes as little as $1 each

3) CR123's are only that expensive in bought locally. Bought online, they are $1-$2 each

For an emergency light that is rarely used, the cost of cells is also negligible. You might go through one or two sets of cells for the life of the light.