Glass lens for MiniMag AA?

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
There is a glass shop down by our apartments. They make (or can make, not sure) glass lenses for flashlights, but they are not the high temp ones that I had been wanting for my mr16 spotlight. Not sure what kind of glass it is though, but probably about like window glass.

Spud

B@rt

Flashaholic
Try your local watch-maker for a good selection...
cool.gif

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
I went to one of those quick eye glass places and offered to pay for a quantity, but they said it was too flat, small and thin. They told me to goto the Phila. Coll. of Optometry. I bagged it and just ordered spares from Brightguy. Glass would be cool if done well.

Luff

Enlightened
JohnN in another thread at:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=31&t=000195&p=2
(3rd post on page) says he ordered a sapphire watch crystal for his MiniMag from www.ofrei.com and they're $15 ea.

My MiniMag lens measures 22 mm in diameter, which isn't offered there, but a 21mm crystal might fit. [Edit - The same company offers regular mineral glass crystals, in 22 mm size, 3 per pkg. for $2.50 at mineral glass crystals but they have a $15 minimum order before shipping costs]

You might want to ask JohnN what size he ordered.

Good luck.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually ordered an 18MM. I plan on filling the Maglite (with Newbeam conversion) with clear epoxy and just setting the new lens on top.

I think 22MM would be the optimal size for a standard install.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luff:
[Edit - The same company offers regular mineral glass crystals, in 22 mm size, 3 per pkg. for $2.50 at<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rats! I didn't see that or I would have picked up some of those at the same time. The cost looks good.

Also note there does appear to be the correct sizes in Saphire for the Scorpion if anyone can figure how to get the original lens off and secure a new one.

-john

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
the Brinkmann Legends are almost identical in size...these sources have a number of sizes...let's get ordering!

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I ordered some at 22, 22.5 and 23mm and I'll report what fits best when I get them in.

-john

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
John, did the saphire lens work out well? How is its thickness compared to the stock lens? any news on the mineral glass one yet?

light transmission is the same I guess...right?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If it helps any, I have a 30.0 mm saphire crystal I got from Frei-Borell a few years ago and it's .038" thick. I would assume a smaller diameter crystal to be the same thickness or possibly even thinner. I measured the plastic mag lens at .030" so I don't think there will be any compatability problems with the saphire. Most watch crystals are mineral glass so I don't think this material should be discounted as it is certainly less expensive than the saphire. I have no idea how either of these materials will handle thermal shock compared to the pyrex that SF uses. I reckon we'll find out
smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
My guess is the .8 refers to mm which is .0315". I think you will be fine. a difference of .008" is less than the thickness of a business card
smile.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got them in.

I got 22, 22.5 and 23mm for the MiniMag AA. The 22.5 fits best and seems fine. 23mm is just a shade too big. It is possible that at 22.8 might fit, but I'm happy with 22.5mm.

The 28mm fits the Scorpion well.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am. I'd say the value is small because there is no heat issues - but it does help by eliminating the scratches the plastic lens seems to accumulate quickly. And it is rather inexpensive as well. For this reason I would recommend the mineral glass and shy away from the sapphire.

Geoff, I don't know how a lens that big could fit in there. Perhaps they changed the size of the lens? I have the "old" model lights (not rated for the Newbeam). 23mm did NOT fit. I determined size by measuring the original lens carefully before ordering, although my tape measure only had increments of one mm. I ordered a bit of a spread and tried them.

Can someone measure the lens in their new model? It does look like Frei&Borel carries a 25.1mm which should be darn close.

So my optimal Mini-mag is Mini-mag + Newbeam + Kroll tailcap + 22.5mm mineral glass lens. :)

-john

battman

Newly Enlightened
Question...does the Kroll tailcap work with the newbeam mod? If so, is the diameter of the switch larger than the barrel of the minimag? Want to make sure it still slides into my leatherman holster before I order.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works fine with the Newbeam. In fact, if you have an old model it would probably be a good thing as it should reduce wear on the switch part of the Mag/Newbeam.

It is flush with the Mag body. It does add some length.

Picture:
http://www.navitsky.org/lights/minimag/

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to do the glass lens as well, I would verify the size due to the new vs. old issue as noted above.

-john

Latest posts