AAA SSC buckle light now at DX

sino

Newly Enlightened
It looks like DX is now carrying their version of this light that has been so popular for KD. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11863

KD has been working very hard to fix the problems with loose threads etc. I wonder which version of this light DX is selling (V1, V2, V3, V4). Probably the V3, because the price is under $16 and the KD V4 will sell for closer to $20.

ki0ak

Newly Enlightened
Threads look like V3. The DX light has much nicer packaging...

Last edited:

warlord

Enlightened
Isn't that ironic? Yeah it's a KD product but they don't make them. Apparently the v4 will be KD branded. I'm guessing that KD doesn't want any of the old stock anymore so DX picked it up.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't been following the buckle light saga. Appearently there is some loose thread issues? What was the deal with v3?

sino

Newly Enlightened
Haven't been following the buckle light saga. Appearently there is some loose thread issues? What was the deal with v3?

Versions 1-3 had problems with the threads being too loose, which meant the end cap flopped around and the light didn't always turn on reliably when twisted. In some cases the end cap was so loose it wouldn't be safe to have the light on a keychain for fear or losing the light or the endcap. Workarounds for the problem included teflon tape, foam rings and extra O rings.

Version 4 is supposed to correct this problem. KD promises all new threading on the flashlight body and tailcap, not simply adding more threads. The price for V4 will also jump $5.

I doubt if DX bought KD's stock of V3s. Sales at KD were through the roof, and if more inventory were available they would have gone for the retail sales for greater profit. More likely the manufacturer approached DX.

The question remains whether DX's buckle light will have the same quality issues as the KD V3.

glenda17

Enlightened

V3 had the floodiest, most useful beam in a small package I have ever seen. It has a very smooth light pattern. Its my go to work light.

However the threads are as loose as the girls on this season's Big Brother.

People blame the thread machining but the issue is really the lack of a spring to hold things tight from the inside.

Add a hole punched foam ring on each end of the battery, 2 layers of teflon tape on the threads, and lubricate heavily with beeswax. Then you have an awesome task light but I still wouldn't trust it as an EDC.

bp044

Enlightened
V3 had the floodiest, most useful beam in a small package I have ever seen. It has a very smooth light pattern. Its my go to work light.

However the threads are as loose as the girls on this season's Big Brother.

People blame the thread machining but the issue is really the lack of a spring to hold things tight from the inside.

Add a hole punched foam ring on each end of the battery, 2 layers of teflon tape on the threads, and lubricate heavily with beeswax. Then you have an awesome task light but I still wouldn't trust it as an EDC.
I bought the first version from Kaidomain. Real junk.Didn't work . Sent back. Jerry sayes can,t find it. E mails for last month . Still waiting for resolution.Ready to give up.

Probedude

Enlightened
People blame the thread machining but the issue is really the lack of a spring to hold things tight from the inside

Sounds like bad threads to me!

I've got the V3 and was probably the 2nd person to discover the foam doughnut mod - that mod was just to keep the battery from rattling around and scuffing the driver board contact AND turning intermittently on all by itself due to rattling.

My Ultrafire C2 Q5 had crappy threads - couldn't tighten the tailcap more than ~1/8th of a turn.

I'm not great at cutting threads on my lathe, but I'm much better than these two examples.

All my Romisen lights have been awesome in fit and finish. I've got an R-1A01 on order that I think with an SSC P4 mod will give the KD buckle a run for the $$, at a lower price!
Dave

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
kaidomain said:
Originally Posted by ideefixe
I'm interested in getting a few of these. Can we opt-out on the imprint/engraving? Most of the imprints looks kinda lame... 9W...12W...Cree...USA... etc.
I am putting "KD SSC AAA", tasteful like ARC, Maglite.

Kai
Well finally there is a way to get one without the branding on the bezel as was asked for in the feeler thread, though this is probably not what Kai had in mind.

In the very same thread, kai even later denied anybody had asked for it, and seems shocked that anyone could possibly not want to advertise for KD;):
kaidomain said:
Originally Posted bypaulr
Do you have any with no engravings? I've gotten interested in unengraved lights.
No one was asking an non-imprint light for this, so all lights are imprinted. The laser engavement actually looks very classy and should not be googleable, if it helps.

Kai
Good to see somebody is listening to what customers are asking for:thumbsup:. Now if we could get some good threads too for $15...

sino

Newly Enlightened
I bought the first version from Kaidomain. Real junk.Didn't work . Sent back. Jerry sayes can,t find it. E mails for last month . Still waiting for resolution.Ready to give up.

Uh oh. That sounds IDENTICAL to my situation. I sent back my light on Jan. 25, and Jerry said he can't find it. I fear it might have gotten lost during the New Year celebration at either the Florida or China location. Dang.

sino

Newly Enlightened
Now if we could get some good threads too for $15...

Actually, the price has gone up and it's now $20 for the V4. But it sounds like you get other improvements besides improved threads.

trucarp

Newly Enlightened
Okay.. dumb question, but what makes this a"buckle" flashlight? I was thinking something built in to a belt buckle...

Andy