Any feedback on these lights?

mac66

Newly Enlightened
At Sam's Club...2 lights for about $30

0003579444500_L4.jpg

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the same light. Different LED (K2 vs Lux 1), different batteries (3xaaa vs CR123). A new model or a later model of some other version Element.

bspofford

Enlightened
I skimmed past the title of this thread and came back to it on a third pass. The last "Element" light wasn't so great, but this one looks very interesting! In fact, tomorrow I'm going to see if my Sam's has them.

bspofford

Enlightened
Look closely at the picture. This is also 3XAAA. I also thought it looked like CR123A, but it's not.

BMF

Enlightened
The package said:

- 40-Hours Runtime on Included 3 AAA Batteries.

This must be the new version with 50X, the old version was only 12X. I need to check them tomorow at my Sams.

bspofford

Enlightened
Just picked up a pair at Sam's for a little less than $30. The feel of the light and external finish are fairly nice. Reminds me of Romisen silver type II. The ringy SMO beam seems consistent with the advertised 150 lumens, and it is much whiter than my very warm K2 Inova T3. Side-by-side, the Inova has a much smoother beam because of the OP reflector. The lens is polycarbonate, and I'm not sure if the SMO reflector is aluminum or plastic. The design of the moderately large reflector seems to favor throw more than flood. The head comes off the emitter at the bezel end of the battery tube, but the bezel itself seems to be glued to the head. The tailcap has a very weird switch that extends way down inside a large battery tube. It also seems to be glued in the tailcap but looks like it is begging for a mod. The light runs fine on an 18650 cell, and I suspect that someone is going to come up with a relatively easy mod to use one instead of the 3XAAA configuration. The tube is plenty big for a protected 18650 cell and would still need a shim.

BMF

Enlightened
Just picked up a pair at Sam's for a little less than $30. The feel of the light and external finish are fairly nice. Reminds me of Romisen silver type II. The ringy SMO beam seems consistent with the advertised 150 lumens, and it is much whiter than my very warm K2 Inova T3. Side-by-side, the Inova has a much smoother beam because of the OP reflector. The lens is polycarbonate, and I'm not sure if the SMO reflector is aluminum or plastic. The design of the moderately large reflector seems to favor throw more than flood. The head comes off the emitter at the bezel end of the battery tube, but the bezel itself seems to be glued to the head. The tailcap has a very weird switch that extends way down inside a large battery tube. It also seems to be glued in the tailcap but looks like it is begging for a mod. The light runs fine on an 18650 cell, and I suspect that someone is going to come up with a relatively easy mod to use one instead of the 3XAAA configuration. The tube is plenty big for a protected 18650 cell and would still need a shim.

I saw them at my local Sams' at $28.74 but I didn't take it. It's a little to fat and big to me, I think it's bigger than 6P.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you know if it uses one of the newer K2s?

If the LED has little hole like things in it(4x4 grid), then they are the newer K2s.

BMF

Enlightened
Do you know if it uses one of the newer K2s?

If the LED has little hole like things in it(4x4 grid), then they are the newer K2s.

I just came back and bought it for $28.74 but have no idea what you're talking about.

The package print out and the lights lay out are also little different. It said only 20-hour Run Time, but also say "2 Beams in one: intense 300' spotlight & extra wide floodlight in one beam". Batteries are not next to the lights but on the lower right corner. I'll try them tonight when it's dark.

BMF

Enlightened

How can you run it with 18650? I got trouble to put it in: wrapping paper around to make it fit is no problem but it's too long I couldn't screw the tail cap in. So I have to use 14500 with some paper and little spring.

I just played with it a little with Task Force 3W 2C, 6P with Malkoff MN60 and 2008 Inova T5 in my 2 car garage conrner to corner:

- It's a little brighter than TF 3W 2C in 2 primary Cs, using 14500, but TF is much brighter when use with 18650.
- It has a better ring than TF.
- It has warm tint just like my Inova T5, not "much whiter" like bspofford posted.
- It has large hot spot almost like Inova T5.
- It has a very wide spill at about the same as 6P with Malkoff MN60. This is what I like it, just as advertised "2 beams in one: spot & flood" because it throws about the same as the other 3.
- It's bigger than 6P all around: bigger body, larger head (for throw) and longer. But it's still much smaller than TF 2C.

This litte review based on what I see only, my eyes, because I don't have any equipments to test and measure. For about a little over $14 each ($15 after TAX) this is a good buy.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What I mean is:

Does the LED look like this in the center?(The one on the right, just the square part)

newreb1.jpg

(picture by evan9162 on this thread)

If it looks like the one on the left, it's one of the older K2s. If it looks like the one on the right, it is one of the newer TFFC K2s(brighter).

BMF

Enlightened
What I mean is:

Does the LED look like this in the center?(The one on the right, just the square part)

newreb1.jpg

(picture by evan9162 on this thread)

If it looks like the one on the left, it's one of the older K2s. If it looks like the one on the right, it is one of the newer TFFC K2s(brighter).

I just use the magnifier glass and it's the new one on the right :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That's great!

Now Rebels, Crees, Seouls, and TFFC K2s are available in everyday stores!

I wonder what the Average Joe thinks when he turns on one of these lights.

BMF

Enlightened
That's great!

Now Rebels, Crees, Seouls, and TFFC K2s are available in everyday stores!

I wonder what the Average Joe thinks when he turns on one of these lights.

And they still thinking about paying fot them instead of $0.99 flashlight at Dollar Stores.
Just a couple things to add: the clicky is a cheap, soft and easily got stuck; and the light is brighter when used with 3 x AAA instead of 14500. I didn't have any rechargeable AAA to test though.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, at least there's the chance.

4.5v with 3 AAAs(sags quickly though) and 4.2v with a Li-ion. That explains the difference in output. LEDs increase current draw a lot with a relatively small voltage change.

lotus1

Newly Enlightened
Element Luxeon K2 from Sam's Club...

Just picked these up from Sam's Club. $28 for two with batteries. Very impressed with the lights. Has anyone gotten these? Any reviews? It's actually brighter than my P61 Surefire dropin I have in my other light.

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg