mod jetbeam cle with a seoul?

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I am just curious if anyone knows a way to do with, without just making it direct drive? I know some drivers from DX can easily be converted... anyone know if a CLE could be converted?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: mod jetbeam cle into a single mode light?

Reprogramming the driver would be hard, unless the micro controller can be easily bypassed, so maybe a DX driver would be a good idea.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Should be easy if they haven't changed too much. You will have to take it apart and remove the uC board. Direct wire the LED from the leads to the uC board. See this thread for an idea of what to expect inside.

Mundele

Newly Enlightened

If you end up doing this, please post your results. I have a V1.0 CLE I'd like to do the same if your results are good and it's not too difficult...

--Matt

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened

hummmm,

I kinda destroyed the light trying to take it apart... and by kinda I mean completely.

It was going good until I tried removing the star and got a piece of the led:banghead:

I guess its time for me to do some modding. I am going to use a DX single mode board and a more modern LED. Any suggestions? Is it worth my wait for the r2?

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
Re: mod jetbeam cle with a soul?

update:

I am going to try and put in a new driver and LED. Would a seoul work the the stock reflector?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Seoul should work if you have the LED at the right point.

Are you looking for output or runtime?

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I am going for output, and I will be installing a new board too.

If you would recommend sticking with a cree, I would appreciate if someone could pick out a led/driver combo for me from DX so I dont get the wrong stuff.

btw, I already have mine open.... it wasn't pretty.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can use this driver and solder the negative output wire to the outer contact ring on top to remove the modes.

If you have a 14500 battery, you could risk the LED and direct drive.

Either LED would work, the Cree Q5 might be a bit brighter though.