First purchase Nitecore Defender

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
Ok - so I just purchased my first "serious" light - a Nitecore Defender Infinity. One of the ones from Hong Kong - doesn't have the Strong Light on the side of it but comes with everything as shown. (here's the link so you can see which one it is.. (hope it's ok to show this link, if not my apologies :eek:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NiteCore-Defend...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It just arrived and I haven't even put a battery in it yet (I'm at work and scrambling around madly trying to find a battery to use...lol)

Just my first thought was "WOW - is it ever small!" I don't know, I've seen numerous pics for for some reason in my mind I was thinking it would be bigger. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing. It's very, very cool!

It appears to be very well made but like I said, this is my "first" so I really have nothing to compare it too. I have a dozen fresh Lithium AA's waiting for her at home. Have to find some lube for the threads too as they're pretty squeaky :)

Thanks again for this addiction! My wife's gonna disown me if I get any more expensive interests ;) LOL

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enjoy!
I got one of the first run.I really like it ,so far its been perfect.Nice and bright,I do wish the low was lower ,but I use either lightflux or Novatac for the lowest lows Ive ever seen.

PS
Hang on to your wallet this does get addictive.Wanna buy a nice custom light????:D

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok - so I just purchased my first "serious" light - a Nitecore Defender Infinity.

You are off to an excellent start. :thumbsup:

If you wish to live happily with your new NDI may I suggest that you read the several relevant threads around here on the subject of proper 'running-in' such as cleaning and lubing.
And don't forget to learn to turn quickly the head before saying that your light is defective.....:naughty:

hammerface

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys :)

I played with the light last night. Put an Energizer Lithium in. Figured out the strobe and the UI and set the low setting as low as it would go. Seems like a very useable light output level for most instances. Then the high is surprisingly bright. I was lighting up neighbours houses easily last night.

Just amazing that much light can come from a flashlight of that size with one AA.

Have yet to do the research on lube/maintenance. Will try to pick up some appropriate lube in the next week or so.

Overall, I am very impressed with the light. The packaging is also very nice as is the manual, the holster, and the paracord lanyard with the GITD end.

For $73 shipped, I think it's a helluva a deal :)

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Thanks guys :)

I played with the light last night. Put an Energizer Lithium in. Figured out the strobe and the UI and set the low setting as low as it would go. Seems like a very useable light output level for most instances. Then the high is surprisingly bright. I was lighting up neighbours houses easily last night.

Just amazing that much light can come from a flashlight of that size with one AA.

Have yet to do the research on lube/maintenance. Will try to pick up some appropriate lube in the next week or so.

Overall, I am very impressed with the light. The packaging is also very nice as is the manual, the holster, and the paracord lanyard with the GITD end.

For $73 shipped, I think it's a helluva a deal :)

Go to any hardware store to the Plumbing section and find PURE SILICONE GREASE. It'll come in a little tub, about half an inch deep and maybe 2" wide. Will cost about $4. Use that on the orings.

Order Deoxit from fenix-store.com, the red will suffice, but if you want to be thorough, get gold and red. Use the red on all the contact areas, including threads. Wipe it off everything after a few minutes. Then put a very light amount of Deoxit gold on all the contact areas and leave it on there.

I only have Red (regular Deoxit) so I just apply, wipe off (to clean), then re-apply the red. It's made a few flickery/inconsistant lights work great.

What not to do: Use ANY spray lube, any random lube, "what you use on XYZ", etc. The above two will cost you $10 to $15 and will last you for a very long time. My Deoxit barely looks used, and can't tell the silicone grease has been used at all, and I've cleaned and lubed all of my lights, some of them several times. My EDC's get dirty threads and gunk on the orings so they get cleaned every few months.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Hammerface --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Oh, and the quote from Kilovolt (above) should say:

If you wish to live happily with your new NDI may I suggest

that you purchase something bright and shiny for your wife. :whistle:

Just a suggestion, that's all.

(from someone who is happily single) :)

Enjoy your new flashlight. :wave:

_

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I too have my 1st Nitecore that I purchased on B/S/T. Am I correct is saying that only the one mode can be programed for the custom output? I have that mode set at the lowest brightness setting and then cranking the bezel just a bit gives me maximum. I know how to adjust that 1st mode, but it seems like that is the only mode that is user adjustable. Is that correct?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I too have my 1st Nitecore that I purchased on B/S/T. Am I correct is saying that only the one mode can be programed for the custom output? I have that mode set at the lowest brightness setting and then cranking the bezel just a bit gives me maximum. I know how to adjust that 1st mode, but it seems like that is the only mode that is user adjustable. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. In the bezel tight mode your can only program max. light or strobe.

If your wants more light levels, check out NovaTac, it has four programable light levels.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yes, that is correct. In the bezel tight mode your can only program max. light or strobe.

If your wants more light levels, check out NovaTac, it has four programable light levels.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the NovaTac. I was interested in the Nitecore due to it's useage of an AA-cell.

bfodnes

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today, about 14 days delivery to europe from the same seller.

Came with extra tailcap, nice sheet and the parachute cord baton along with one energizer AA and a "creditcard" warranty card and manual.

Manual , warrantycard and tailcap was below bottom foam in box.

No " strong light " edged on to it but its in no way a copy.

Very nice light for the 73 dollars delivered. It will see lots of EDC with me.

Both seller and Edgetac deserves a thumbs up on this light.

Visible output compared to L1 cree 60 Lumens, its brighter. Im no expert but id say on the same scale maybe the L1 is 140 L

My recommendations.

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
My NDI has also arrived today (from a local shop). Very nice!

There seem to be a few other NDI threads, but I'll put my first impressions here rather than in the marketplace or photo thread. I don't currently have anything that hasn't already been shown in the photo thread.

The fit and finish...
It's been extolled in other threads that you really should clean and lube any new light before using it the first time, but sometimes you just want to have fun. The end cap is nice and smooth but they seem to have forgotten to lube the head, as doesn't like turning smoothly, and I don't want to turn it even if I really want to play with it. It's quite dry up front and the threads do squeak. Both head and end cap should really be cleaned and lubed before using the light. It doesn't help that I seem to have misplaced my little bottle of silicone.

The light...
I turned it on at full brightness. Woooo. :eek:oo: I like it. At this time, I can only compare it with a 2 AA minimag with 1W drop-in. As expected, max just blows it away, and on a single AA too! :D I'll try li-ion eventually. The mag drop-in is more yellow than the NDI. The NDI also has a dark ring around the hotspot, then slight yellow around that, which I didn't notice at first, then the rest of the spill. The low is low enough for me at night.

The UI...
After figuring out the UI, the brightness settings are quite easy - I think the best way to describe it is "tight mode" and "loose mode." In "tight mode" you do the loosen-tighten to toggle between max and strobe. In "loose mode" you tighten-loosen to either raise or lower the brightness, and turn it off to save your setting. Simple. I accidentally left the light in strobe when I went into loose mode, so when I wanted max, it started strobing. :duh2: Oops.

The rest...
It fits my hand very nicely, and my pocket too. The included spinnet is nice but I'm worried about the split-ring scratching up the lanyard hole over time. I think I'll tie another cord from the lanyard ring to the split-ring or to the spinnet directly. For now it will decorate my desk.

How tough is the finish? I may end up carrying it with my keys for EDC because that's the pocket with the least amount of stuff in it, but I imagine that it'll get worn down quickly if I do that.

The NDI doesn't tail stand by default but a couple of threads here address that issue. When turned to max, it really lights things up well without blinding myself with the overhead lights or halogen desk lamp.

tcc

Newly Enlightened
Photon Gears.. Toronto (downtown) is close enough to me to call local. They're listed in the original pre-order thread (CPFMP Manufacturer's Corner).

Got mine from PG too and picked it up @ the retail outlet they coincide with.

Eric from PG was really nice and informed me when the new stock arrived.

Now just have to wait for the RaidFire Spear to come in :D