More TSA, batteries, etc

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just returned from a busted overseas trip (never got past JFK). Went thru TSA 7 times (3 at JFK). Here's a couple of things --

Had lithiums in factory packs (without cardboard) just pitched in backpack. First screener suggested putting all the packs in one ziploc, like carryon liquids, and putting them out in screening tray. Worked -- No one else ever had to rummage in backpack.

Carried "life boat" matches, in factory box, in carry on. Never questioned.

"Well, duh...." department. Mentioned to screener that I was going broke buying $3 bottles of water after every screening. He said "just take empty bottle thru and refill at fountain". Worked every time.

All TSA people were very professional ,courteous and helpful.

And for all you New Yorkers -- your reputation of being gruff, unfriendly and discourteous is totally bogus. Got lots of help, smiles and laughs as well as support during stressful times.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Well, duh...." department. Mentioned to screener that I was going broke buying $3 bottles of water after every screening. He said "just take empty bottle thru and refill at fountain". Worked every time.

Now that's a good idea, have to remember for next time!

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
Sorry your trip didn't work out. :thumbsdow
But I'm glad to hear about your good experience at JFK. :thumbsup:
That's a good tip with the empty water bottle btw.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
And for all you New Yorkers -- your reputation of being gruff, unfriendly and discourteous is totally bogus. Got lots of help, smiles and laughs as well as support during stressful times.

Thanks for the post dude, I haven't carried many lithium spares on a flight before, and probably will on my next vacation (Egypt).

As for the part about New Yorkers, I'd have to agree. I went to NYC in 2000, and actually had several cabbies go out of their way to give me directions (that was only part of it too).

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

ssshhhhhh - you're not supposed to tell folks. It's how we try keep the tourist population down....

Actually, what you will find is that is we can tell you are from out of town, we try and give you a break. If we don't think you're from out of town, things get a bit "faster" - for instance - we will give you a hole on the road to get into - but you'd better take it when offered - because the offer won't come a 2nd time

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
And we've got some folks around here that wear t-shirts saying "We don't care how you did it back home".

For many years I've lived the Karmic principal of "you get what you give".

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
...wait you drank the tap water in NYC? Try drinking the tap water in AZ...ugh

...yah yah yah...I know...some of the best public water in the world...drank it myself for 25+ years...

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empty Water bottle though security, been doing that for years.

Same tip works well at WDW, fountains everywhere.

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
Sensible tips! Thanks for sharing.

I echo the sentiment about New Yorkers. Your reputation about being callous and insensitive is a bit inflated. During my many trips to the Big Apple, I encountered friendly, courteous people not just at the TSA checkpoints at the airport, but in the remainder of the city as well.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
BOG -- sure I drank the city water. When you grow up drinking from a rainwater cistern you keep things in perspective.

Last edited: