Flashlight with Carry-On Luggage during Air Travel?

flipe8

Newly Enlightened
I'm heading down to Florida next week and wondered if I should pack my E2E in my suitcase, or if it would be fine in my carry-on luggage? Anyone have any recent expereinces, good or bad, when bringing lights on planes?
Thanks.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I was concerned when I went to the Virgin Islands last month, so I only carried a P1D (easily replaceable) with me. No one gave it a second glance except to ask me to turn it on once. You should have no trouble with a light in your carry on. As with anything you think they might want to look at, pack it on top, perhaps in a ziplock. By the way, I had to go through Customs as well.

rkJr

Enlightened
you're more likely to have it stolen out of your checked luggage.

I carry on both surefire and fenix everytime, and the most they've ever done is try them to see that they work. they have asked me why i carry two lights, plus glo-toobs, plus all my other EDC stuff, but otherwise no problems.

nbp

Flashaholic
Numerous threads on this topic if you do a little searching, lots of good info and experiences.

(Whoa! Did I just say that? I think I'm still too new to say that...the old timers are supposed to tell us newbies to use the search tool. Eek!)

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
I flew into Reagan Airport at D.C. with a Surefire E1b, a Novatac, and extra batteries in my carry-on and securlty didn't say a thing. It was pretty nice.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
Took a Nitecore DI across the country and back, never even had to take it out of the carry-on bag to show anyone.

DieselTech

Enlightened
I flew to New York and back at the first of this month with my A2 in my pocket with my keys. The TSA was more interested in the plastic bottle of water I had than my light.

generic808

Enlightened
Uhh...I wouldn't recommend taking a strike bezel unless you really don't like it and won't mind them confiscating it. Every time I fly, I put my original bezel back on my primary 6P, which I carry everywhere.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just come back from Florida, and I was carrying a Fenix P1D-CE, Surefire E1E, Fenix L1T V2.0 and Lummi Raw Ti onto the plane including NiMH, Lithium and Li-ion cells. It is not only a good idea to carry the spare cells in your carry-on luggage, it is ESSENTIAL! The logic behind this is that the cabin crew can access you carry-on baggage using fire-fighting equipment if there ever was a battery-induced fire. If the cells were in your checked baggage, a battery-induced fire could jeapodize the aircraft.

flipe8

Newly Enlightened
Numerous threads on this topic if you do a little searching, lots of good info and experiences.

(Whoa! Did I just say that? I think I'm still too new to say that...the old timers are supposed to tell us newbies to use the search tool. Eek!)

:D:D. I actually did two searches before posting, but I found most of the info was a couple years old and wanted the most recent, first-hand knowledge could get.
It sounds like the best bet is to carry it with me. That's likely what I'll do. Hopefully, no problems. Thanks guys.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A search would yield many previous threads with the same question and answers.

It is completely OK to fly will all but the most aggressive flashlights.
in fact it is smart to fly with the light in the cabin with you should you need it in case of emergency it will not do you any good in your bags.

Flashlights are completely ignored by the usa most of the time the rest of the time they want to see them out of interest. If you show up with a Novatec that they have never seen they may want to examin it because it is so cool and they will have (unfortunately) little or no chance of ever having seen one.
Yaesumofo

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
and Li-ion cells. It is not only a good idea to carry the spare cells in your carry-on luggage, it is ESSENTIAL! The logic behind this is that the cabin crew can access you carry-on baggage using fire-fighting equipment if there ever was a battery-induced fire.

If a Li-ion vented in your carry-on on a plane I think that would make for a seriously bad time for everyone on board.

jufam44

Enlightened
I took a U2 porcupine thru with no problems, other than a "HUH?" look from the TSA screener when she asked how much it cost and I told her! You'll probably be fine, and if they try and confiscate it, a simple chat with their supervisor should get it back to you. I wouldn't put it in the checked baggage, tho. Dishonest baggage screeners nick things all the time, and there's not a way to find out who screened your bag.

-Max

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
If a Li-ion vented in your carry-on on a plane I think that would make for a seriously bad time for everyone on board.

It would make for a lot worse time if it was in checked baggage. At least in the cabin they can separate it from other stuff and hopefully, probably, extinguish fires. In the hold it could start a bad fire that the suppression system is not designed to handle. And they can vent a cabin, without depressurizing, very rapidly. Just uses more compresor bleed air which uses a couple gallons more kerosine.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Breathing the fumes that come out when a battery vents is very very bad for you. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a confined space then it happened. That was my point.