what's next for the DBS dereelite?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping to see a P7 option for maybe the DBS, not sure if one could fit into the CL1H. It would probably be a pricey drop-in though.

MstrHnky

Enlightened
I'm hoping to see a P7 option for maybe the DBS, not sure if one could fit into the CL1H. It would probably be a pricey drop-in though.

i thought both lights use the same pill? why wouldn't a P7 fit both lights?

unless it would come with a different size cut out at the bottom of an included reflector and THAT wouldn't fit in the smaller cl1h.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought both lights use the same pill? why wouldn't a P7 fit both lights?

The P7 may fit in a CL1H, but it's the reflector that maybe tricky. I don't know if a P7 would fit in the current pills, a larger (taller) pill maybe needed with a larger surface to mount the P7 on, which would move it closer to the lens. Probably not an issue with the DBS, since it has a deep reflector, you could just make a shorter reflector optimized for the P7. With the CL1H You'd be running out of room, but you maybe able to come up with some kind of reflector, but it would probably be a pretty floody set up, which would be cool. Also the DBS offers more material for heat sinking.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well me might eventually see a better bin get in there or a more fancy driver, but beyond that I don't see much else happening to the DBS. The P7 will need a completely new reflector so we should just make a whole new model out of it. I would love to see an 18650 based P7 with a deep reflector for throw, with many of the same features one would see on a DBS but the reflector makes the DBS. So, I say new mode there. Whether or not Deree will make any functional or asthetic updates to the DBS, I don't know. I'm sure Cree has a multi die in the works and it wouldn't surprise me if LumiLEDs is working on one as well. So who knows.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
A properly relfectored DBS P7 with agressive crennelations and a finned head would be a most excellent addition to the Dereelight lineup :thumbsup: .

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
A properly relfectored DBS P7 with agressive crennelations and a finned head would be a most excellent addition to the Dereelight lineup :thumbsup: .

this sounds cool i hope alan reads this. maybe they are already working on this?????????

Fird

Enlightened
it's a good deal larger, not sure exactly how much, but it's a bigger unit to work with, and definitely different height/spacing required to squash the output from 4 dies into one smooth beam

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If Dereelight could somehow make a P7 emitter fit onto their current pill
& possibly bore out the DBS reflector they have now,...:devil::nana::caution:!!

p7.jpg

I just don't think there's enough room on the brass pill they use now.

~ In November I asked Alan about an EDC,...would you rather see a DBS with a P7
or a Dereelight EDC?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
this might be a stupid question, but why is a new reflector design necessary for the P7 emitter?

regards, holger

The DBS reflector is optimized for a Cree XR-E emitter. The P7 is larger, and emitts light at a different angle. Dereelight would most likely have to make a larger pill to support the P7's larger size, which means the current reflector simply wouldn't fit, it would have to be a little shorter to accomodate the larger pill. They should still be able to fit in a decent reflector that would still give good throw, and if the P7 was putting out 400 lumens, or more, it may throw as far, or farther, than the current DBS. With a textured reflector it could give a nice bright floody beam. :)

MstrHnky

Enlightened
~ In November I asked Alan about an EDC,...would you rather see a DBS with a P7
or a Dereelight EDC?

an edc. i just sent paypal for a dbs v2 earlier today and plan on getting a cl1h v4 when they come out. i'd like a dereelight edc to complete the trifecta!

MstrHnky

Enlightened
The DBS reflector is optimized for a Cree XR-E emitter. The P7 is larger, and emitts light at a different angle. Dereelight would most likely have to make a larger pill to support the P7's larger size, which means the current reflector simply wouldn't fit, it would have to be a little shorter to accomodate the larger pill. They should still be able to fit in a decent reflector that would still give good throw, and if the P7 was putting out 400 lumens, or more, it may throw as far, or farther, than the current DBS. With a textured reflector it could give a nice bright floody beam. :)

suppose they just adjusted the current reflector to accommodate the p7, i wonder how much throw would be lost even though the lumen output would be that much greater.

also, it would be nice if they could sell the "new" reflector w/p7 combo, or whole head unit to fit the current dbs v2 so those of us that have them don't have to buy the entire new light. maybe charge $60ish?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
suppose they just adjusted the current reflector to accommodate the p7, i wonder how much throw would be lost even though the lumen output would be that much greater.

also, it would be nice if they could sell the "new" reflector w/p7 combo, or whole head unit to fit the current dbs v2 so those of us that have them don't have to buy the entire new light. maybe charge $60ish?

The current pills run around $30, the P7's are $30 for just the emitter. Expect a P7 drop in to run at least $60-70. If we have to buy other parts, like a new reflector, etc, it may cost even more. Until P7's come down in price, we'll probably pay a premium for any early P7 options.